Skip to main content

The winner is ...

Many thanks to all who entered the 400th post contest. I believe I counted 40 entrants, which is cool. And I didn't have to do any fancy tinkering to come up with a winner, which is nice, too. We have a clear-cut one this time.

The contest question concerned my quest to complete the 2006 Topps flagship set. As you recall, I bought so many cards that I came close to completing the set not once, but twice. The question was: how many cards short was I of completing a second set?

Well, if you did some snooping around on Night Owl Cards, which I'm assuming some of you did, you would have come up with one hell of a hint. I eluded to my "second-set bid" in an earlier post. I didn't give the exact number, but you would've come close if you found that post. (I re-edited the post a day into the contest, as I didn't intend for people to be able to research the answer).

The post said that I came around 10 cards short of finishing a second set. The exact number is: nine. And Matt R. of Project Baseball 1976 guessed that number on the button. I just sent Matt some cards for winning an earlier "stealth" contest that I ran, so that makes him a back-to-back winner! (C'mon, Matt give someone else a chance).

I'll be sending Matt's winnings out by the end of the week. This is what he won:

-- Six 2008 Topps Heritage Series 400 minis
-- 15 random 2009 Topps Attax cards
-- 20 random 2009 Topps Heritage cards
-- A 1993 Upper Deck Derek Jeter rookie card
-- A 1989 Topps Randy Johnson rookie card
-- A 1989 Topps Bob Welch error card
-- A 1990-91 Score Eric Lindros rookie card
-- Six 1986 Leaf "Stand-Up" cards
-- A 1983 Topps Ozzie Smith card
-- A 1983 Donruss Ryne Sandberg rookie card (see above)
-- 20 random cards from the 1970s
-- A 1960 Topps card of a nobody
-- A 1954 Topps card of a nobody
-- A 2004 Topps Fan Favorites certified autograph card of Jack Morris

Matt, I hope you enjoy your loot.

The second part of the question was for tie-breaking purposes only. It's interesting that only one person guessed one of the nine cards that I needed. If no one had guessed the first part of the question, that person would have been the winner.

Here are the nine cards that I need to complete a second set:

-- #33 - Mike Lieberthal
-- #42 - Reed Johnson
-- #45 - Greg Maddux
-- #63 - Desi Relaford
-- #111 - Eurbiel Durazo
-- #174 - Corey Patterson
-- #533 - Scott Hatteberg
-- #631 - Dan Uggla
-- #642 - Brian Bannister

Flash, of Dropped Third Strike, guessed Dan Uggla.

Again, thanks for playing. And thanks for making this blogging experience so enjoyable.

Comments

Matt Runyon said…
Wow!! This is great! :)