Skip to main content

C.A., the review 3 (part 3)


This is not the card that won the second segment of Cardboard Appreciation, the Review 3.

OK, it was.

But it's the updated version.

The version that appeared in the last post and that you voted on was the card I pulled out of a pack in 1977 and stared at while sitting at my desk in sixth grade. This card:


I'm pretty sure I just sent this particular Carter off to Ethan at Top Of The Topps. So in future vote-offs of Cardboard Appreciation, the Review 3, I'll be showing the updated version because I try not to display cards I don't own.

I hope that doesn't prevent anyone from voting for '77 Carter again. If it does, I'll reconsider.

But enough of my obsessing. Here are the vote totals for the second segment:

1. Gary Carter, 1977 Topps: 23 votes
2. Arnold Earley, 1967 Topps: 10 votes
3. Bill Buckner, 1990 Upper Deck: 9 votes
4. Ned Garver, 1956 Topps: 8 votes
5. David DeJesus, 2009 Topps Chrome Xrefractor: 7 votes
6. Rene Tosoni, 2011 Topps Traded, 6 votes
7. Montreal Expos checklist, 1994 Score, 2 votes
8. Matt Kemp, 2010 Upper Deck Supreme 0 votes
(65 total votes)

Matt Kemp is having a terrible year. But I don't blame you one bit for ignoring 2010 Upper Deck.

The voting for the top three finished exactly the same as the previous round, 23-10-9.

And Carter happily joins 1973 Frank Robinson in the next round.

Let's see which cards you are voting on for in the third segment of the first round. I changed the color of the sidebar to encourage continued voting. Perhaps you've noticed.

Here we go:


1. Don Newcombe, 1977 TCMA Galasso Greats: This set was my first encounter with retro sets. Almost three decades before the deluge of Heritage-like retro hit the market, I was drooling over a gal named Renata Galasso and the cool cards of old players she produced.



2. Roy Smalley, 1980 Topps: This card is a favorite of those who collected the 1980 set. And true to Roy's surname, this card features the smallest image of any player's card in the entire set. I checked.



3. Oddibe McDowell, 1989 Topps: When expounding on this card, you could focus on the "Oddibe" on McDowell's jacket or on the gum. I chose the gum, because I was dealing with health issues at the time. That particular dark period changed the whole way I deal with food and life really. I wouldn't say I'll never encounter diabetes again, but I feel a lot more confident about dealing with health problems than ever.



4. Pedro Borbon, 1975 Topps: Borbon can't smile on his card pictures. I went through and looked at them all. But I wasn't the first to notice that. Borbon's daughter left a comment on my post about Borbon and confirmed that her dad indeed never smiled in his pictures. Borbon died a couple of months after she left that comment.

Incidentally, another relative a couple of days ago left a comment on a Cardboard Appreciation post I did on former player Bill Nahorodny. In that post, I noted that Nahorodny signed his name by drawing a baseball for the dot in the "I." I also said his wikipedia page claimed he had changed his name to "Jim Miller."

This is what his niece wrote:


Awesome. I think I have a new favorite former player.


5. Josh Hamilton, 2008 Topps Heritage Chrome: This post was about trades that include a swap of a pitcher for a hitter and how those don't seem to work out in the favor of the team who is trading for the pitcher. Kind of like the Reds dealing Hamilton for Edinson Volquez. Not that Hamilton is having a good time now.


6. Rudy Seanez, 1993 Donruss: Have you ever sunk so low to admit that you need a 1993 Donruss card? I did. And it got results. I don't even feel bad about it.



7. Vida Blue, 1971 Topps: One of the great cards of the 1970s. I was first introduced to this card in my first year of collecting, when it appeared in miniature form in the 1975 Topps MVPs subset. I've liked it ever since. Peace, Vida.


8. Shawn Green, 2002 Upper Deck Authentics reverse parallel: In homage to the 1989 UD Dale Murphy reverse negative, Upper Deck made a reverse parallel for every card in the '02 UD Authentics parallel set. This blows my mind. The gall, the gimmickry, the evil genius, the gall again. Feel free to give this card negative votes.

That's the great eight for this round. If you'd be so kind to find the sidebar (I think it's over there somewhere) and vote, I'd be most grateful.

Consider it my tribute to 1991 Fleer.

Comments

petethan said…
Thought no one had a chance when I saw Newk. But then I got to Blue and it was over. Thanks for the Carter, and all the rest! Opened my first two 10-card "packs" from your box the last two nights, and I'm SO diggin' it.
jacobmrley said…
As much as I want to vote for that Newcombe card, I have to go with the 71 vida blue, damn, I love that card.