Skip to main content

C.A., the review 3 (part 2)


I've found a silver lining in the distasteful sidebar set-up I've been forced into in order to have a poll that everyone can read.

And that lining is, I can make the sidebar a different crazy color every time I do a new vote-off for Cardboard Appreciation, the review 3!

You know how I love my crazy colors.

So, while you're being blinded by the sidebar, let's have a look at the results of the first vote-off (I had to end it a little bit early because of weekend festivities).

1. Frank Robinson, 1973 Topps: 23 votes
2. Don Drysdale, 1959 Topps: 10 votes
3. Mike Piazza, 1998 Fleer Ultra: 9 votes
4. Bake McBride, 1977 Topps, 7 votes
5. Dick Perez, 1982 Donruss, 5 votes
6. Darrell Porter, 1981 Topps Traded, 4 votes
7. Mickey Scott, 1976 Topps, 2 votes
1. Domingo Ramos, 1985 Topps, 1 vote
(61 total votes)

I can't believe Mickey Scott received two votes. Bless you, you two voters.

But selecting Frank Robinson's airbrushed masterpiece is an excellent choice, and I'm happy he's moving on to the next round.

Let's see who is in the second grouping of eight. I have to warn you, they're not as exciting as the previous eight:


1. Montreal Expos checklist, 1994 Score: The brief summation of that Cardboard Appreciation post was this: "I miss the Expos." And I still do.



2. Ned Garver, 1956 Topps: People didn't seem too impressed with this post, but I went through a lot of work to do it. The post presented the all-time "Born on Christmas Day" team. And Ned Garver was one of the pitchers. Check it out again, if you like.



3. Rene Tosoni, 2011 Topps Update: Holy crap, three horizontal cards in a row! I featured this card as an example of possibly the most blatant product placement on a card. This Bud's for You, Topps.



4. David DeJesus, 2009 Topps Chrome Xrefractor: In this Cardboard Appreciation post, I put forth a theory that all you need for The Perfect Card is to be spot-on in three elements: card design, photograph and something that enhances the card. The 2009 design of David DeJesus bowling over a catcher on an xrefractored card did it for me.


5. Arnold Earley, 1967 Topps: This card has the honor of being one of those cards I obtained after seeing it on someone's blog. There aren't a lot of those cards out there. But I couldn't resist Earley's tinted frames. I also promised on that post that I would do the absolute definitive "Best Glasses In The History of Baseball Cards" post. I've failed you all miserably.


6. Bill Buckner, 1990 Upper Deck: Did Upper Deck purposely take this photo to poke fun at Buckner's gaffe in the 1986 World Series? Or was it a case of "the boy who cried wolf"? So many Upper Deck shenanigans that you think UD is pulling a fast one every time.


7. Gary Carter, 1977 Topps: One of my favorite cards from childhood, I wrote this post immediately after Carter's death. We need gregarious people like Carter to prevent the world from falling into a pit of despair and cynicism. This card wipes the frown off my face every time.


8. Matt Kemp, 2010 Upper Deck Supreme: Just when you think you know every card in every recent base set, something pops out at you that makes you realize you know nothing. That was this card for me.


So those are the choices that you'll have for the whole next week. Please be so kind and place your vote in the poll on the very brightly colored sidebar. It will only take a moment. And I swear you won't lose your vision.

Let me have my fun.

I have so little.

Comments

Commishbob said…
Damn, that's a hideous shade of purple. But I squinted and voted anyway.

This was a tough one, I so much wanted to vote for Arnold's glasses.
Anonymous said…
Arnold Earley says "Sir, I'm gonna need to see your license and registration."

Shame on you for dividing the Expos vote between two cards. I was going to vote for the checklist until I scrolled down enough to see Gary Carter.

One of the Captcha words on my comment is "byppism". Things are getting out of hand when there's a religion based on Bip Roberts.
Metallattorney said…
If you think that Buckner is bad, you should see the 1987 Sportflics card which actually features him waiting on a ground ball.

The 1985 Fleer card also shows him fielding a grounder. Of course that one came out a year before the error, but still. Oddly prescient.
petethan said…
Tough. I first saw that Buckner about a month ago when I pulled it out of a dollar store repack, and it cracked me up. Had to be on purpose, right? Poor Bill.

In the end, couldn't vote against Topps and a guy with the name Arnold Earley, wearing those glasses, with that missing-cap-exposed hairline. I mean, come on.
Mark Kaz said…
Dag, I was eager to click the little circle next to Bill Buckner's name... and then I saw the '77 Carter. And the sentiment you expressed. Check please!
Ana Lu said…
Tough one...But I had to go with the karate moment at the plate.
jacobmrley said…
I have had that 1990 UD Buckner card in the pages with my 1986 Fleer World Series set for the last 20+ years. That card never ceases to make me smile.

That said, I voted for the Carter for the same reasons it made you smile. That card was one of my favorites from my childhood too.
EggRocket said…
shlabotnikreport had my thoughts ... Expos checklist took the early lead until the '77 Carter turned up.
GCA said…
Ned Garver sounds so close to Dan Akroyd's SNL character from back in the day: Fred Garvin ~ Male Prostitute