Skip to main content

Two ways of saying the same thing


I've been lucky enough to receive a flurry of cards off of my Nebulous 9 in the last week or so. If you look over there (don't mind the YELLOW!), you'll see that I've replenished the list so that it's now overflowing with 1993 Score.

It is criminal that I don't have all the '93 Score Dodgers. What is happening to this world?

But enough about the present nebby list. I want to tell you about some cards off the old list.

First and foremost -- and I've already breathed 100 sighs of relief over this item -- the 2013 Heritage SP Hanley Ramirez card. As you might remember, Topps shoved 46 Dodgers into the short-print set of Heritage this year. (If Topps only knew how many current cards I would buy if it didn't pull stuff like this).

I finally obtained the last Dodger I needed when Marcus of All The Way To the Backstop sent me a PWE that included "Top-deck" Hanley. (Sorry not sorry that blast came against the Padres). And the Heritage team set is DONE for another year ...well, except for whatever parallels still exist because we can't ever be done with anything in this life thank you very much again Topps for your service the end.

Next up for Nebulous 9 acquisitions is a weird "two at the same time" phenomenon. I received the same card from two different bloggers within two days of each other.

The first one I want to show is from Ethan at Top Of The Topps.

It came in a neatly printed envelope with a cordial warning for the postman on the back:


Yes. Do not mangle. Be kind to your packages.

Inside, the card was suitably protected by this:




Triscuits!

I love triscuits!

I love cracked pepper and olive oil!

I love cheesy artichoke!

Unfortunately, none of that was inside the envelope. And I'm hungry.

But this was:


My goodness, that's the most perfectly trimmed box-bottom card I've ever seen.

When I realized that I didn't have the Don Sutton 1989 Topps box-bottom card (I cut the Tom Lasorda box-bottom card off an empty Topps box I rescued from the trash compactor at my job at a CVS drugstore way back in 1989), it went on the Nebulous 9 list IMMEDIATELY!

And, Ethan came to the rescue.

But he wasn't the only one.

Tom of The Angels In Order saw the card on the list, too.

He tried a different tactic.

Instead of issuing a friendly reminder on the back of his envelope, there was this:


All right, I suppose you could consider that "friendly." But I've suddenly stopped blinking for some reason.

Warily, I did what the envelope told me. Sl--o--w--l--y.

After what was about 25 minutes, the envelope was now open.

And this greeted me:


OK, I found out something about myself here.

In virtually every previous situation in which I saw the word "Danger" with an exclamation point somewhere in the vicinity, I have turned and walked/ran/sprinted away. I have very strong self-preservation skills.

But apparently I let down my guard when it involves cards.

This is not good.

I didn't hear any ticking, but I don't think even that would have stopped me.

The team bag was open, caution be damned.

And I came face-to-face with this:


GAH!

I jumped back a little when I saw it. I didn't want to get bit.

Fortunately, I've opened enough envelopes to know how to deal with unexpected situations quickly.



Badger disarmed, I could now enjoy my card.


Box-bottom Sutton No. 2!

I will definitely make use of this card.

The Angels In Order also added a couple of other needs for my trouble of taking an hour-and-a-half to open the envelope.


Yes. I put 1995 Fleer on the Nebulous 9. I MUST HAVE IT ALL when it comes to Dodgers.


This 1993 Traded card of Mike Piazza hadn't made it to the Nebulous 9 yet, but it was the last Dodger card from that year's traded set that I needed. Thanks for noticing, Tom!

And that's two different ways of sending basically the same card.

You can send it the yummy, drool-inducing, pleasant way or you can freak someone out with a silver-haired badger.

It's up to you.

As long as I get my Nebulous 9 cards.

Comments

Marcus said…
Oh man, I was feeling all cocky after the Pads took the first two games against LA. Leave it to us to help get Hanley back on a roll. I blame myself and this card.

And as someone who loves '91 Fleer, that yellow on the side of the blog is killing my eyes.
petethan said…
What? Doesn't everybody open baseball cards, eat Triscuits and listen to Vin on the weekends? Is it just me?
Anonymous said…
I think you also mean that you are done with the Heritage team set until they release the (non-consecutively-numbered-online-exclusive-low-production-is-this-necessary) Heritage update set.
jacobmrley said…
That's beautiful, man.
Brian said…
I always knew you secretly loved '91 Fleer. Why else the spectacle sidebar? It really pops!
Cracked Pepper and Olive Oil is my go-to triscuit.