Skip to main content

Progressively cooler

I've received some very interesting card packages over the last week or two. I know that immediately makes some of you think of super sick patches, or signatures everywhere, or cards that fold out into trucks.

But you know me better than that. Simple is often better.

Today it's a card package from Lifetime Topps. What I'm going to do is count the cards down from the decidedly uncool to the most convincingly awesome. According to me.

This won't take long.



6. 2012 Gypsy Queen Duke Snider and Ted Lilly

Wow, those GQ borders just get uglier and uglier, don't they? "Hey everybody! Let's make the borders MAUVE this year!"

Best thing about these cards: Two more cards to completion so I don't have to show them anymore.


5. 2012 Heritage N.L. (TM) Pitching Leaders

Was 1963 Topps the last year of floating heads? I have to say I'm starting to get a little blase about them. And you should never get ho-hum about floating heads.

Best thing about this card: Clayton Kershaw won the Cy Young Award last year. And those other guys didn't.


4. 2012 Topps Hong-Chih Kuo gold parallel

Inching closer to the set -- just in time for a whole bunch more in Series 2! Yaaaayyyyyurrrgggggguuhhhhh!

Best thing about this card: It puts this in my head: "They wanna get my -- -- -- -- They wanna get my -- -- -- gold on the ceiling. I ain't blind. Just a matter of time. Before you steal it." Bad. Ass.


3. 2002 Topps Chrome Gil Hodges '52 World Series

I'm relatively certain I don't have this card. There are several different versions and '52 Topps reprints are a hobby plague that will last longer than cockroaches and hearing "wake up, Maggie. I think I've got something to say to you" on the radio. But I THINK it's new to me.

Best thing about this card: It's shiny. It's Gil. It's shiny Gil.


2. 1993 Upper Deck Denny's Holograms Darryl Strawberry

I never realized there were so many Upper Deck cards produced in '93 until I started blogging.

Best thing about this card: It's an odd-ball, food issue set. The way all cards should be.


1. 1996 Topps Pre-Production Rafael Bournigal and Hideo Nomo

A card package is an instant success when you pull a card out and have a Scooby Doo "HUH?" moment.

That's what happened with the Nomo card.

As you may know, Nomo's 1996 Topps card, looks accordingly (tilt head to left).

That caused me to do three seconds of research to figure out that these two cards were part of a pre-production set put out in advance of the '96 set.

That is tremendous.

The best part of these cards: I didn't even mention that Bournigal didn't have a card in the 1996 Topps set.

There you go. That's a nice tidy group of cards there.

I know. Nothing folded out into a truck. I'm sorry.

Comments

Marcus said…
that Black Keys song is awesome, glad to see that there are other bloggers who dig it!
Anonymous said…
Glad I could help! It's funny that the top 3 on your list are the cards I didn't specifically say were part of the package - the quote-unquote "throw ins". It's also what I thought you'd think if I'd have known you'd make a list!

I got the Straw and Hodges from a dime box and knew I was sending you a package. I like the Strawberry. The promos were doubles through my attempt at completing the 96 promo set - 2 ebay lots ended with 8 or the 9 cards and 4 doubles. Two of which happened to be dodgers.
GCA said…
Never understood the appeal of the "echo picture" by the name - especially when they're distorted like they're going back in time. Same with '94 Upper Deck.

PS: Got another '23' in the robot-proofing...