Skip to main content

Bleah


I don't feel much like posting today. I have a million things to do, and every time I post these days, I think about how lousy the Dodgers are doing. Losing Matt Kemp for four weeks is going to be their undoing. I watched the game against the Brewers last night, and it was like 2005 all over again. Start getting used to a bunch of 2-1 losses.

But at least posting allows me to drown my sorrows in some new Kemp cards.

I received a couple from Adam at ARPSmith's Sportscard Obsession. By coincidence, he'll be one of the main beneficiaries of the Dodgers' demise. ... Ugh, I can't handle all of this ugly.


The Kemp cards he sent were two very cool ones. The Bowman's Best insert from this year's set, and this short-print card from Gypsy Queen. At least I think it's the short-print. Since GQ refuses to tell you which one is which, my brain is forever confused between the two. GQ just keeps giving you more reasons to love it.


Adam also sent some prospect Dodgers, which is ideal timing because the only time I look at how Dodgers prospects are doing are when the team is slumping.

Landry's doing well in high A ball. Inching along a step at a time each year. At this rate, we'll see him in the majors in 2015.


Garrett Gould is also in Rancho Cucamonga with Landry. He is not doing so well.


John Lindsey, after 16 years in the minors and 11 games with the Dodgers in 2010, has moved on to the Mexican League this year.


Let's return to the glory years. Well, the 1990s anyway. This was my favorite card in the package, because, once again, it was a Hideo Nomo card I didn't have.


1997 Chrome is always fun.


1998, 2000 and 2002 Chrome is not.


I received a few 1996 Fleer wants. This is a set that I find perpetually confusing, and it's probably 214th on the list of the most confusing sets of the 1990s. I'm sure anyone who collected in the mid-to-late '90s is now in therapy.


1997 Pinnacle. One of their 100 sets that year. Totally Certified? Totally Confusing.


Moving out of the 1990s, but just as confusing. Donruss decided not to put out cards for 1999 and 2000, but then issued "1999" and "2000" cards with its 2001 set in an obvious attempt to confuse the future.

Well done, Donruss. It worked on me.


Every time I see players like this stationed at second base for the Dodgers, I look over at the first base coach's box and wonder if Davey Lopes could possibly return to the position.

On the good side, this is a Heritage short-print, and only Jerry Hairston Jr. is floating around out there.


I'll finish off with another Dodger center field great. A mini of the Duke. Swinging in front of the world's most sharply angled children's slide.

If Snider ever got injured, Hodges, Robinson, Campanella and Furillo would just add a couple homers to fill the gap.

Now, we have, Ethier and ... um ... um ...

OK, time to do something else.

Comments

Hackenbush said…
I think that's a giant mandolin slicer for cutting giant vegetables.
Commishbob said…
My fantasy team is heavily invested in Dodgers so I'm not doing so good either. Not that anyone else gives a damn.
JediJeff said…
I love the texture of those 96 Fleers. Maybe I am the only person in the world that does, but glossy can get a bit too much. I think that matte finish was a bold move.
AdamE said…
Rumor is help may be on the way to LA in the form of Youkilis. Myself I hope he comes to AZ instead. Actually I would rather he stays put but doubt that happens.
arpsmith said…
I think we are going to have a pretty good battle shaping up in the West. The Giants are playing well, imagine if Lincecum ever gets it together. I was watching a Dodgers game a couple days ago and the lineup was pretty ugly looking but when Kemp gets back, he and Eithier can carrier the O. I see it going down to the wire. Scary that someone like Youk could be a difference maker in the NL West.
arpsmith said…
Oh yeah, glad you got the cards!