Skip to main content

There's no crying in baseball cards

I pulled this card out of a fresh pack of 2010 Topps cards yesterday. At first glance, I didn't give it much thought. But then I almost did a double-take as I looked at the photo again.

"Wait a minute ..." I thought. "What the ...

"Cito -- are you crying? ARE YOU CRYING? There's no crying. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL CARDS!"

Seriously, I have been collecting cards for 30 years. Although I've never heard any of my Rogers Hornsby cards call another card a talking pile of pigshit, I am fairly certain that I have never seen a person cry on a baseball card. Those are real tears there. This is major.

Gaston not only made history by bringing a World Series championship to Canada, but he may have made history being the first person to cry on a baseball card. Sure, he's a cry baby. Much like Tom Hanks' character, Jimmy Duggan, weepfests make me squirm. But the chicks dig it.

(By the way, this is not an invitation for everyone to go rummaging through your collections to find an earlier card of someone crying. But I know how much some of you need to be right. So, go. Knock yourself out).

This card came out of one of three packs of 2010 product sent to me by Joe M. Yeah, that's right, I still haven't purchased any 2010 cards from a store near me. The cards could be there by now, I just haven't checked the last couple of days.

But if people keep sending me packs, I may never have to enter a Target again. I've got 60 cards from the 2010 set without making a move.

Here are two cards from each pack.
Pack 1: David DeJesus gets an endorsement deal.

Pack 1: Someone having a career forced upon him. They really are the tools of ignorance when you're 3.

Pack 2: What did they have to go through to get that pose?

Pack 2: Mr. Cy. A nice card to pull.

Pack 3: My first Dodger of 2009. Always a great day when that happens.

Pack 3: I am really starting to like this series. Baseball stories are one of my favorite aspects of baseball. And it's great to see that Topps isn't simply using famous achievements that have been recycled over and over. It is actually going for famous "stories." I love this card.

Joe M. also sent some other cool cards that I'll show another time. This is like the fourth unsolicited package that he has sent. He has seriously great cards. And he's looking to trade. If you send me an email, I'd be happy to pass along his contact info.

Comments

zman40 said…
It's good to see that you are still good at pulling Grienkes. It's probably not as bad now as it was a year ago, though.

Congrats on the three packs. I'm still waiting to find some here. I'm like you and I haven't even checked in a few days.
Anonymous said…
I think that's Jim Piersall's first Mets card (unless you count the oddball one in the 1991 Wiz Mets set.)
Anonymous said…
I think the subsets would be more fun to collect than the entire master set or just the base set. Some are really unique.
I think Tales of the Game is my favorite insert set of the year. But it's early.