Skip to main content

Closing in on a century


I'll just wrap up the last of my Check Out My Cards package here and we can all move on with our lives. I have just three more cards to show.

This card here is one of those spur-of-the-moment I MUST HAVE THIS cards. Duke Snider in an Expos uniform is just classic. Topps can pretend all it wants what Jackie Robinson might look like in a Giants uniform, but SSPC actually FOUND a photo of Snider in an Expos uniform and published it for the world to see. Now that is excellent execution.

The best part of the card is there is no explanation on the back. Just a checklist. It mocks you: "No, we are not going to explain our total randomness on the front-side of this card. We identified the people out there for you. What are you whining about?"

So that is why I grabbed that card without having any intention of doing so.

Now for the rest of the intentioned cards.


This is Dodger card #98 of my favorite player of all-time. This is from the Fleer Greats of the Game set from a few years back. It's the "pewter" parallel, I believe. Card companies' fixation with metals and gems has me all confused.


And this is Dodger card #99 of The Penguin. It's from Playoff Prestige from 2005 and it's the red parallel. Numbered to 50. (Unfortunately, it is not numbered 10/50. It's 19/50, which would be Jim Gilliam's uniform number).

So, you know what this means.

I'm now in search of my 100th distinct Ron Cey Dodger card.

It's going to have to be something special. Cey doesn't have any super stunning cards because the mojo crowd seems to think he's boring. But there are a couple of nice ones out there that I don't have yet. So I may chase one down in the next month or so, and then get all loopy here on the blog, throwing confetti around and typing in giant fonts.

See? We're all winners when I obtain Cey cards.

Speaking of being a winner, look what I have here:


Apparently, I can't run errands yet, but someone else in the house can.

(P.S.: I have no idea why this post is double-spaced. Blogger does some freaky idiocy without ever explaining itself).

Comments

Robert said…
I can still remember the Silver Fox doing color on Expos telecasts during the late 70's and early 80's. A very well spoken man who complemented Dave Van Horne very well.
jacobmrley said…
I must own that Koosman Snider card. To COMC I go!
jacobmrley said…
Done and done. The internet is a wonderful invention.
No one ever runs "errands" like that for me. Poor, poor me. I hope you got a pack full of Dodgers.
Nick said…
Snider had a regular '76 SSPC card all to himself during his time with the Expos. I found it in my self-deemed "best quarter box on the planet".

It's a fantastic piece of cardboard, and I'm also pretty sure it's a night card as well.

http://baseballdimebox.blogspot.com/2012/03/st-patricks-day-card-show-pt-3-best.html
gcrl said…
i used that card in a 'create a caption' post a while back

http://garveyceyrusselllopes.blogspot.com/2011/02/create-caption-get-some-cards.html

if i recall correctly, your caption was one of the better ones.