Skip to main content

C.A.: 1977 Topps Ollie Brown

(Holy crap, it actually rained last night. People came out on their porches to watch it, like it was a comet or something. I'd say we could use some more, but August is coming, so that's not going to happen. So stay inside, flick on the AC, and view some cards: Time for Cardboard Appreciation. This is the 155th in a series):


I received a whole mess of 1977 Topps from Josh over at Royals and Randoms. You'll see them as soon as my latest summer break is over.

But I wanted to feature this fun little card separate.

The 1977 Ollie Brown card is one of my favorites from the '77 set. It's been that way since I was a kid. It's one of those cards that I can't explain why I liked as a kid. But the close-up shots seemed to strike me back then.

If I look at it now, I can say that Brown's "What Are YOU lookin' at?" face is appealing, too. Plus, I like the way that his image is shifted to the left to get in his signature. And, now that I notice it, the photo appears to have been taken in Dodger Stadium, maybe? (I'm not good at figuring that out).

But you're not looking at any of that, because you're obsessing about the borders.

Yeah, me, too.

What caused that?

1977 is long before foil packs came along and you never saw that crimping imprints that you sometimes get on cards today. Cards came in wax packs that were glued shut.

So my guess is Ollie showed up crinkle-cut due to some sort of mishap with the card-cutting machine. Anybody have some printing insights?

At any rate, when we were kids, we would never let off-center cards or gum-stained cards ruin our enjoyment of card collecting. The cards would go in the stack with all the others without a thought.

But a card like Ollie's?

Even that would give the 11-year-old me pause.

I do think the card's fun.

But Ollie Brown's 1977 Topps card remains on my want list.

I'm just a four-corners guy.

Comments

Looks like the card owner was testing their mother's pinking shears!
Anonymous said…
Jim beat me to it. My immediate reaction at seeing the photo was "Someone had fun with some pinking shears". I would guess that Jim's mother sewed, like mine did.
dayf said…
I wish I knew where the hell my Wife's pinking shears were. God, I could have so much fun with them.