Skip to main content

Adventures in photoshopping

I can't get too excited about photoshopping on baseball cards. As long as you're not rubbing out umpires or transforming an entire ballpark, I think it's harmless fun. It's been going on for decades, first with a simple paint brush and now with a computer program.

This is a 2010 Opening Day card of Roy Halladay. He's pictured working for a team for which he's never taken the mound in an official game. He was traded to Philadelphia in December.

Companies are getting better at "hiding" their photoshopping efforts, but this is one of the easier ones to detect. The cap and T-shirt colors are too dark. The name on the back of his jersey is just too big as is the uniform number (Halladay wore No. 32 with the Blue Jays).

I like that they put the "TV number" on Halladay's sleeve because the Phillies do feature TV numbers. I guess Halladay is supposed to be wearing a Phillies road unform, because their home uniforms feature pinstripes. But that uniform just looks too white to me for it to be a road uniform.

But all of that is just me hyper-examining the card. I have little issue with any of it. It's cool to see what Halladay might look like as a Phillie.

Here is my issue, if you can call it that:

Take a look at the registered trademark that often appears after the team logo. It should sit immediately to the right of the "s" in Phillies.

But it's not. It's making a break for it. It's crawling up Halladay's leg!

The registered trademark is alive!

All that photoshopping work and they can't even get the trademark in the right spot.

Comments

deal said…
Halladay is also wearing a retired number (32 - Steve Carlton)

Halladay will wear 34 as a Phil.

I officially classify this as a Major Sloppy Topps Foul.

when you start messin w/ the images, know who your Hall of Famers are or don't bother.
Jim said…
I'm with Phungo. I liked the card until I saw the #32 on his back. Don't mess with Lefty's number.
capewood said…
Topps has been doing this stuff for years (it used to be called air brushing). Photoshop (or what ever tool they actually use) lets them do a better job but they still can't fool us sharp-eyed bloggers.
capewood said…
One other comment. I haven't see either Opening Day or Heritage at the local big box stores in the Houston area.