Skip to main content

Sundays only

 
 
A couple of weeks ago I posted about my appreciation for Saturdays gone by and in particular Saturday card bloggers -- those bloggers who post only on Saturdays.

Today, I'm addressing Sundays and Sunday-only card bloggers.

For me, Sundays are my Saturdays. It's a recuperation day from the week that's passed. I usually don't do a lot that day unless the Monday-thru-Fridayers insist on doing something. It's mostly a day for baseball watching (or football watching) and music listening. I usually blog that day, too.

As a youngster, Sundays were for church and shopping, of course. That was the day when a trip to the ice cream shop was most likely. It was a day for cookouts and fun food and riding bikes and walking to the drug store to find cards.

As I got older, I worked in a department store and Sundays were a day the sales started -- and the day most likely for a customer to insist something was on sale that wasn't on sale -- and the first time I experienced what it was like to work a full day.

Today, Sundays at work are mostly low-key. Sundays and Mondays. Which explains why I usually have them off. But for some, Sundays are the day for blogging.

I recently received an envelope from Sunday-only blogger Nine Pockets. He's a hockey fan, photoshop expert and oddball fancier. So it follows that Gregory sent me this card:

OK, it's actually a disc. I'm too caught up in its greatness to get into semantics.
 
I'm a bit accustomed to Hershiser's fantastic oddball cards, which I'll get to in a second. But what immediately hit me was the complete butchering of the word "wholesome," which was a very prevalent advertising tactic in the first half of the 20th century. Looking back now it seems bizarre -- how are we ever going to teach kids how to read and spell? -- but it was a way to catch eyeballs, I guess.
 
Holsum is a brand of bread that's been around for like a hundred years. It's apparently still around and Holsum Bakeries puts out several differently named breads and such. I've never seen it sold where I am, which makes the name even more odd and this Hershiser disc card all the more fascinating.
 
It's gotten me to pull out my five favorite food-issue Hershiser oddballs from my collection.
 
Hershiser has several store-brand oddballs, not necessarily restricted to food, but I'm keeping the list to food issues (sorry, Revco Hershiser) because that's what I associated Sundays with as a kid: maybe we were going to have pizza for dinner!!
 
Let's go:
 

5. 1989 Cap'n Crunch

Yup, Sunday mornings were for Cap'n Crunch. Although sugary breakfast cereal was more of a Saturday morning thing for me as a kid. Cap'n Crunch was a personal favorite. If I were to go on a junk-cereal binge, I would be buying all of the different Cap'n Crunch flavors that are available today.
 

 
4. 1990 Holsum disc

The very Holsum Hershiser -- I'm sure his white-bread vibe was a key selling point for being included in the set -- manages to make only the four spot, even as the new kid on the food-issue block. That doesn't mean it's not great. This card has a background, too, which none of the other cards to follow do.
 


3. 1989 King-B disc

The other 1989 food-issue disc of Hershiser in my collection. King-B gets the nod over Holsum because it says "quality meat snacks" right there in all-caps. It's also the second annual Collectors' Edition. Come on, Holsum, you need to learn to pimp-out your sets!

This disc photo is very similar -- yet not the same -- as another Hershiser oddball from 1989:


The main difference is the denim cap that Orel is wearing in the J.J. Nissen card, which was also a bread company. Hershiser also appears a bit happier on the disc card because quality meat snacks!
 
 


2. 1993 Kraft Pop-Ups

Excluding maybe the early '60s, the golden age for food-issue oddballs is 1985-90. Look it up. They were everywhere.

They died off in the early '90s as cards became more of "an investment" -- who had time for oddballs when there was money to make? -- but there was a resurgence in 1993. The best of those are the Kraft Singles Pop-Ups.

I like the way these look, the depiction of action. There's even another photo on the back. But I am NOT standing up this Hershiser card. Ever. 



1. 1990 Wonder Bread

The king of white bread, Wonder, puts Holsum in its place with my all-time favorite food-issue card of Hershiser. This is the template for what I want a food-issue card to be even if I probably haven't eaten a slice of Wonder Bread since 1990.

The food companies were a little slow to come around to Hershiser during the late '80s. He was a force beginning in 1985 but didn't start showing up in food sets until 1988, the year of his World Series MVP season.

There are still a few food-issue Hershisers that I need, including another Holsum disc from 1989. I probably should make adding them a Sunday activity.

Gregory sent a few other cards, including this gold parallel that I didn't have yet:


Gold! Probably one of the reasons why food issues disappeared in the early '90s. Our attention was diverted.
 
 

Comments

Dennis said…
Cool stuff, Greg! Food issues are super interesting to me because they can be so wildly different, which you were able to show here with just five cards of the same player.
Love those Hershiser oddballs. Hershiser is a guy I always respected, but don't seem to have accumulated many of his cards.
Bo said…
Sundays were the coveted day to work when I was in high school/college - double pay.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Monday-only blogger here. And yay for food issues. How did Mothers Cookies never make a Hershiser set?
Fuji said…
I rarely post on Sundays. In fact... it wouldn't surprise me if the post I wrote today was the first Sunday post of 2021. But that doesn't mean I don't write that day. When I was writing four posts a week, I'd outline at least two of the three weekday posts and prep some scans. If it's during the school year, that responsibility would usually fall on Saturdays... as I use Sunday afternoons for lesson planning and relaxation.

P.S. I love store brand oddballs... mainly because there are so many I didn't have access to when I was younger and now I have the opportunity to appreciate them.
bryan was here said…
I love those eclectic food sets from the late '80's-early '90s. When everybody jumped on the card bandwagon.I always thought it was funny that the Cap'n Crunch set was made by Topps, yet it had logos airbrushed off.

Don't get me started about the "quality meat snacks" that King B was pushing back then. All that stuff was was meat flavoured sawdust in a plastic container that was supposed to resemble a tin of snuff.
Billy Kingsley said…
Wholesome, as a word, can't be trademarked, but Holsum can be. I'm sure it's not a coincidence. I've never heard of the brand.

Don't really like Wonder bread all that much. Lately it's all we can find though.
gregory said…
Glad to know Holsum Orel and his buddies arrived safely, and that you needed the Tim Crews gold parallel! If I find the '89 Holsum Orel, it'll have your name on it too.

Thanks for giving my blog a mention!
NPB Card Guy said…
Looks like Hershiser is at the Big A on the Holsum card so I wonder if the photo was taken at the All Star game in 1989.
Grant said…
I love King B discs. The Jerky Stuff was amazing and I wish I could still buy it!
Anonymous said…
Now I've got 'Never on a Sunday' stuck in my head.

"Holsum orel" sounds like a contradiction in terms.