Skip to main content

Cards with "the olds"

 
A lot of collectors are into really old cards. The older the better.

There are pre-war collectors and tobacco card enthusiasts. I see several of them on Twitter almost every day, showing off their latest, all very impressive.

But outside of marveling at how ancient they are, those cards don't do much for me.

I'm not into collecting 120-year-old cards. I just can't relate to it.

I won't kick cards like that out of the house, obviously, but over the years it's been one consistent theme in my collecting habits. I don't have many really old cards or think about obtaining others. There are so many cards, more recent stuff, that I want more.

For example, my favorite thing to do is pick up cards that were around when I was a kid. I've been doing that for the last 20 years or so, probably longer. People say there weren't that many cards in the 1970s, what with the Topps monopoly. I beg to differ. Because I'm still trying to get cards from that time and I don't see a finishing line.

So if that's my main quest, I'm never going to get to cards from the 19th century.

However, Comatoad on Cards has asked a question: What's your oldest card?

Some people have already answered. I'll give it a go, too, although I've written a couple of posts about this already. The most recent one was 2014 and things haven't changed much.


These are my oldest cards. They're both 1909 T206's. I received each from other collectors. The vast majority of my really old cards have come from other collectors -- because, like I said, I'm still stuck in the '70s.

This will give you an idea:
 

This is the oldest card I've ever purchased. Well, this and a couple of other 1951 Topps Dodgers. I bought them last year.

Before that, the oldest card I ever bought was a 1953 Topps Pee Wee Reese. All the '52 Topps Dodgers sitting in my binder came from other people.

This has everything to do with the cards I saw as a kid and a teenager. I coveted older cards, but only the ones that I saw, which were from the '50s and '60s. Stuff like Play Ball and Goudey just seemed way too old to me and I rarely saw them advertised. Yeah, what can I say. I've said this before, but I don't watch a lot of black & white movies either.


Speaking of which, here's a black & white screen star now.

This is the oldest nonsports card in my collection. Collector and reader Dave sent it to me about six years ago. This is Claire Windsor, a star of silent movies in the 1920s. The card is a 1923 American Caramel Actors and Actresses card. Pretty cool.
 


My oldest football card is from 1961 Fleer. Another gift from a collector.
 


My oldest basketball cards are from 1972-73 Topps. A tremendous design. I think everyone knows that.
 



My oldest hockey cards are from 1972-73 Topps as well. They happen to be every member of the French Connection, including the recently departed Rene Robert.

These cards line up nicely across the top of one page in my Sabres binder.



I've addressed this before, too. My oldest night card is from 1950 Bowman, Marino Pieretti.
 


My oldest photographed night card is the Browns' Don Lenhardt from 1953 Bowman.
 


My oldest duplicate is from 1955 Bowman, a miscut Carl Erskine card. This is a recent arrival. It came with the last card I needed to finish the '55 Bowman Dodgers set, Charlie Neal.

So, that's about it. That's what I have that's "oldest." With the exception of the 1909 cards and a couple early '20s American Caramel baseball cards, it's fairly average. It's just not a priority in my collection.

Maybe it's because I feel like I have "the olds" all the time these days. I don't want my poor cards to feel that way.

Comments

You should check out the 2021 TSC JD Martinez card.
Sean said…
Interesting. My preferences run the opposite way (I love the "olds", can't stand the "news") but for the same reason you cite: I love to pick up cards that were around when I was a kid (which for me was in the 80s rather than the 70s).

Cards from before the 80s also existed in the 80s so even though really old cards are before my time they do give me a strong nostalgic feeling attached to my childhood. My dad still had his childhood cards from the early 50s (in fact still has them today) and I remember looking at them as a kid and thinking they were so cool. And I remember going to card shows and card stores and looking in the glass showcases and seeing all the expensive old cards in them and thinking "Wow, those are cool" even though the players depicted were long since retired.

In contrast, anything made after the early 90s is just noise to me, I have almost zero interest in it. Because its all stuff that didn't exist when I was a kid, and also with all the changes in the hobby it doesn't even look like the stuff that existed when I was a kid. I just can't relate to it!

Maybe the difference between us is explainable by that decade which separates our childhoods- card shows and shops were a regular feature of the lifestyle of a kid collector in the 80s, but probably not in the 70s (am I right?).
night owl said…
Yup. Card shows and shops were a rarity in the '70s. It doesn't mean they didn't exist, you just didn't see them very much. I think I was 16 by the time I saw my first card shop. None of that was commonplace until the '80s. The only really old stuff I saw were in mail catalogs. ... But I'm totally with you in anything post-1993 being "noise."
Fuji said…
The reason I enjoy collecting cards from the 80's is the same reason you enjoy collecting cards from the 70's. I'm actually jealous of collectors who grew up collecting in the 70's, because it was such a great decade for trading cards.
Mark Hoyle said…
I dabble in the new cards just to grab my team sets but I love the history of the older and pre war cards.
Billy Kingsley said…
When I was a young collector, anything from the tobacco era seemed like an impossible dream, something I could never get.

I got my first in 2011, now have over 100, and even one completed set from the 1920s.

I even have cards as far back as 1887. It's still hard to believe.

It probably doesn't hurt that I favor non sports cards.
Nick Vossbrink said…
"Old" for me as a kid was anything before 1979. And anything before 1960 was completely unattainable. I may do a follow-up to my post on football and basketball once I get my COMC pile since I have some older cards in there. Is nice to see you post some 60s and 70s cards here.

Oh, and send the Erskine duplicate out TTM. You *should* get a nice letter back.
Jon said…
I find myself becoming less and less interested with all things modern (that's anything from the last 50 years to me) with every passing year. It just seems like the stories attached to older things are always more interesting, as well as a lot less complicated then more current stuff tends to be. Older = Simpler?
Old Cards said…
Cards after the early 90's being just noise is a great way to put it. My favorite decade is the 60's, which of course is tied to my childhood, but the 50's and 70's are also very interesting to me.
Bo said…
I feel pretty similarly - in sports cards and even more so in some of the other things I've been collection. I was born in the 1970s, so the 1950s/1960s seem quite different and yet still very relatable. 1920s/1930s is just a lot harder - there is the wow factor of the extreme age, but the time was so different it's harder to feel the connection.
Nick said…
I like T206s and tobacco cards, but most of the ones I'd want are way, WAY out of my price range, so by default I don't pay much attention to them. The few I am lucky enough to own are treasures - but like you I'd rather spend my money on "newer vintage" and/or oddballs from the '60s and '70s.
John Collins said…
Spot on. My formative years in the hobby were in the late 1980's, when shows and shops (sometimes nearly on every street corner...) were well established. But even with that, we didn't see a ton of prewar cards. I quickly grew to recognize and covet the vintage stars of my Dad's era - for the most part mid- to lower grade Topps copies of Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Clemente, etc, etc. cards. But even in 1990, tobacco cards were a rare sight for kids outside of a big show, and in that situation there was usually far newer things holding down places on my wantlist first. I didn't grow to lust after prewar until I was an adult in the hobby who had become overly influenced by message boards. Brief forays into both prewar and ultra modern that turned out to be very expensive were mistakes for me as a collector in my 40's. Today I try to stick to my wheelhouse - which is vintage 1950's thru the 70's - and then my own era which of course was 80's junk - but even now I'm still discovering affordable treasures there. Modern anymore is me trying to get Cubs from Topps Heritage, and that seems to be enough.