Skip to main content

Leading collectors to the light since 2008

 
 
I never intended for any of my blogs to be inspirational.

I've never started a post thinking, "maybe this will spur someone to do what I'm saying." I'm merely just giving my viewpoint on a topic, not attempting to convert the masses.

But time and time again, I've received emails or comments from collectors who have said "you inspired me to (fill in the blank)."

It's happened so often, sometimes I think maybe I should be writing about something bigger than cards. Maybe I'd be more useful.

But I like cards the best and it's all I want to write about really (I'm actually finishing up on another article for Beckett magazine today and tomorrow). And when I get comments like I got on my 1971 Topps card blog the other day, I know that I'm doing the right thing:


Right on, Mark. I can appreciate what you're feeling right now. Because there's nothing like completing a set. (This makes me feel like I should do another set blog, although I know there's no time for that).

This is what I mean by "leading collectors to the light." Yeah, I'm being facetious, like I said I don't write this to be an inspiration. But it's true, I think the most interesting and satisfying aspect of collecting cards is completing a set, the larger the better.

Mark R's comment made me sad that I don't have any new cards from a large set to show off right now. My 1967 and 1970 Topps set builds are a bit low-key right now.

That doesn't mean I'm not trying to complete some sets. It's always an objective. I'm just doing it on a smaller scale at this moment.
 


Here are a couple more for the 1976 Hostess completion quest. Yes, I've cut up another three-card panel, because I had that panel already but not the individual Matlack and Wilbur Wood cards.
 


I found a priced-right modest lot of '70s Reds cards, most of which were Hostess items. The Foster at the top of the post and the Gullett here were both needs.





The lot included three other Reds from Hostess sets that are on my radar but not an immediate priority. The Morgan is from '75 and the Foster (still with no logo on that helmet) and Griffey are from '79.
 
I also received some Hostess cards recently from mr haverkamp, who always has good stuff to distribute.
 

 Another '76 need with Thurman Munson.
 





And, wow, look at these!

I know I've gone on and on about the 1976 Hostess set and how great it is. Objectively, it's the best '70s Hostess set by a wide margin.

However, the 1977 Hostess set is the first one I ever saw, sitting at the table in my grandmother's kitchen, enjoying those Hostess Twinkies and  --- what's this? -- there are cards at the bottom of the Twinkies!

It's the Hostess set I plan to tackle once the '76 one is finally done.

I expect it to be just as much fun -- a combination of nostalgia, treasure hunt and historic tribute -- as any other set I've completed.

Yep, nothing beats completing sets.

You can do whatever you want in this hobby. But some people, like Mark R, know what's up.

Comments

Don Gullet's card may now be amongst my favorites. Thank you for showing it off. Great poses and facial expressions all the way around. Felix Millan, lady killer.
I made a big strive (well I put a small dent) into my Hostess run this year. Can't wait until I can call them all done.
Jay said…
You’ve definitely led me to the light on several things. Your continued advocacy for both 1972 and 1975 Topps inspired me to go all-in on both sets - though it may take a while. Same with your stance on some of the modern card sets - “get my Dodgers and get out”. I’m trying to adopt the same mindset for my Giants, though I have come to so dislike 2021 Topps Series 1/2 I may totally bail on those, too.
Nick said…
'76 is my favorite Hostess set by a wide margin, but '77 is definitely second on that list. I obviously wasn't old enough to collect them in real time, but I think those were the first Hostess cards I ever saw as well, back when I was a kid and first learning sugary snacks used to come with cards on them.
Fuji said…
The colorful design of the 1976 set makes it my favorite Hostess set. I haven't started building it, but if I do... you'll be one of my inspirations for sure.
Bo said…
The '76's stand out for me due to the bicentennial theme. The other years run together (not a criticism, I like them all, they just don't stand out to me as separate sets).

Munson with the beard, sticking it to George! He also had it on his '76 base card.

Your blog has certainly inspired my collecting over the years. For example that '86 Fleer miniatures set I bought on Sunday after your '86 Fleer post last week.
Jon said…
There's enough people trying to influence the opinions of others when it comes to things like social issues and politics already. The world doesn't need anymore! Positive card influencers on the other hand, is entirely separate issue. I think that there's still plenty of room for more of those. Anything to try and counteract the "YOU NEED TO BE INVESTING IN THESE..." crowd.