Skip to main content

The other half

 
My most recent COMC order arrived the other day, after waiting a bit longer than they said I was going to wait, about two weeks longer.

I don't know if that indicates anything but it's not a big deal right now because it's still not as long as I've been waiting for the Beckett Vintage Collector issue with Rickey Henderson on the cover. I mentioned a couple weeks ago that it probably should have shown up about a month ago, and normally I wouldn't care too much but I suspect an article of mine (or maybe two) is in it.

If I had a decent book store near me (aka Barnes & Noble), I could check for it myself, but living among the rubes, I can't do that without planning an outing.

I bring this all up again because my articles paid for the 1970 Nolan Ryan I showed last time and they also paid for my COMC order. This is "the other half," although it's a lot more than one card and also cost a lot less. So, let's get to it, since other people aren't exactly getting to it.


I shall start with the most recent cards in the stack, two more 2023 Heritage high number cards. I assume some people wonder why I collect piece-meal like this, and it's because:

1. The high numbers cost too much to be grabbing a bunch all at once.
2. I like SO MUCH STUFF, I can't commit to one thing -- think of it like how the Diamondbacks choose uniform colors. They like them all, they must have them all.



You can probably title the whole lot of COMC cards I gathered this time "I Should Have These By Now," which is what I was thinking when I picked up most of these.

The '88 Kershaw is arriving way after I landed dupes of the chrome version of the card. The Bellinger is from 2018, which means it's a hold-over from the Hoard The Hot Rookie period for Bellinger and Judge. The Heart Of The City Muncy from last year I have wanted since the moment I saw it. And the 2013 blue Kenley Jansen is the last blue Dodger from that parallel set that I needed (there is one leaders card still out there but Kershaw is only one-third of it, so who cares).



More "I Should Have It By Now Dammit," the special Mookie edition. Everyone loves Mookie, which is great because usually certain (jealous) fans are looking for excused to hate on Dodgers. I'm glad Mookie has avoided that, but it does make grabbing his cards a tiny bit difficult for this Dodger fan. Both the Stars In Service card and the 2023 Big League bowling card were swept out of my COMC cart multiple times before I finally shipped them.



A pair of A&G Kershaw minis, one from 2017 and one from last year. Seems pretty random until you see the whole picture:


Fills up one tobacco-size page all by itself. Now I just need this year's mini to ruin the flow. Go Kershaw! Stomp those snakes!

I am noticing that Topps grew increasingly lazy with their photo choices through the years.



Fantastic, heart-of-my-childhood Wacky Packages stickers. Almost no one reading this cares about these, but they weren't there. These were on the same mom&pop store counters with 1975 Topps baseball, of course we bought them!

These four are all from the 3rd series, which was issued in 1973 -- those packs of stickers returned to store counters year after year. We didn't suspect a thing. I do remember each of these from those days though.
 


Another that's mine! card. Though this is my own damn fault. I used to own this card, then traded it away (or maybe gave it away, don't remember). I did that with a lot of 1969 Topps and now I'm trying to get them all back. Still a few more to go (Fregosi, Mazeroski). But at least Killebrew has returned.
 


Big finish ... OK, well, "big finish" for me.

My first priority with this order were the 1984 Nestle Dodgers cards. I can't even remember what set me off on this project -- probably someone showed their complete set of these or something similarly wild.

I tried to gather all that I could, I only had two of the Dodgers prior, which is criminal. I didn't quite succeed. I think I need like five more of them, but all the main dudes have been secured except Dusty Baker.

The '84 Nestle set, as you probably know, is identical to the Topps set except for the Nestle logo replacing the Topps logo in the top right. Apparently these were sold as 132-card sheets only but a bunch of dealers bought them up and cut them into single cards. The ones I have are perfectly cut, so it must've been a professional job (although the team leaders card at the top of the post is a bit curled).

I briefly mentioned this set in a previous Beckett article I wrote. If the newest edition ever shows up, I'll show here what I wrote about most recently. I've got a vacation coming up, so maybe a drive to a place that sells the magazine is in order.

And yes, it's pathetic that I have to drive an hour to get one. This is what happens when people don't read anymore (among other things). (P.S.: Beckett often mails me a separate issue when I have an article in it, so I'm not truly worried -- just impatient).

Comments

Old Cards said…
Envious of that 69 Killebrew. One of only two remaining Killebrew cards I need for my collection. Hope your Beckett arrives soon.
For the record, I dislike Mookie Betts.
night owl said…
You don't count. You seem to dislike all players.
RJ Sahl said…
Wacky Packages were a great thing in my childhood. I used to put them all over my school notebooks. The first cards of any type I bought were in 1970. Killebrew is one of my all-time Twins favorites. I have been a Twins fan for a long time.
1984 Tigers said…
Night owl,

I haven't received the vintage with Rickey either and called the beckett line to request mine, figuring it got lost somehow (my neighbors aren't the kind to keep others mail).

Today is Date and movie day with the misses so will check the Barnes and noble here in Midland this afternoon.

The wacky packs, as we called them in metro Detroit, were huge in 73. They seemed to run out of steam by 74. I remember them coming back in 79 but was in high school and had no interest in those series. I did garnish a fair number of packs by topps fun packs later on of the 79 version.

Funny how once you went from elementary to Jr high to HS how one's interest in collecting changed. Always kept collecting sports cards but lost interest in the things like wacky packs, KISS, star wars cards, etc. I did go back later and get the full 77 era and 80 era star wars sets. Also got a number of the 80 empire strikes back packs on ebay.

Topps definitely had an empire, even when they finally got competition in 81 from fleer and donruss.
Matt said…
I was not aware of that '84 Nestle set.
Anonymous said…
Only Mookie I ever cared for was Wilson. Saw that Killebrew on ebay with a .01 listing. Didn't bid.

Love the Wackies. I know I had Koduck, don't remember the others.
1984 Tigers said…
Night owl,

FWIW even my local midland Barnes and noble doesn't have the Rickey vintage. Still the same old jim brown version. Just checked Fri night.
Hopefully those boxes arrived by now. Might be one or two Wackys in there. LOL.
Nick said…
I never thought to try and go for a complete A&G mini run of a specific player. All those Kershaws in a row certainly look cool. (Also, I said it on Twitter, and I'll say it again - NEED one of those Mookie Big League inserts!)
Jon said…
Can't you just email someone over at Beckett and say wtf? And that Koduckcolor is really funny!
Jafronius said…
Awesome mini Kershaw page!