Skip to main content

The 1975 Topps countdown, worst to best (No. 440-421)

 
 I don't have the usual introduction for the latest edition of the '75 Topps countdown. There are a few '75-themed cards coming in, but nothing arriving yet that I'm ready to show.

So before I get on with it, just a little gripe, that, no big surprise, is related to the former Twitter. One of the card accounts there, that appreciates the same cards that I appreciate, showed off one of the '75 cards in the set, saying how great it was. I was heartened because it's a card that has yet to appear on the countdown, that I've always loved but also that I suspect that some collectors don't. So I was happy to get confirmation.

Then another account, also a known lover of '70s cards, chimes in about the card's greatness and reminisces about that '75 set, saying "even as kids we probably knew they were ugly ..." Hey, hey, hey, we don't have to say everything do we?

I understand collectors who weren't around in the '70s terming the '75 set "ugly" -- they don't get it. They were raised on cards with no borders. Seriously, what do they know? I do not understand folks who collected in '75 thinking they were ugly. I know those collectors exist, I am perplexed by them.

I love this set because it's colorful, because the colors often don't match, because of the cards that come from those clashing images and borders. Sometimes they're so right, sometimes so wrong. But most of all, they're interesting, and I cannot say the same thing about a set like 1992 Ultra.

All right, that's probably what you expected from a blogger who dedicated an entire blog to the '75 Topps set, and has more posts about the set on this blog than any other set. Sorry for re-stating my obvious interests again. On with the countdown.


440. Luke Walker (card 474)

There are two pitchers named Walker in this set who are standing absolutely still surrounded by purple and pink borders. You've seen Tom Walker already. Luke gets an advantage because he has a mustache and also because he's unfazed by the entire field sliding off the left side of the card.



439. Darrel Chaney (card 581)

Darrel Chaney is not exactly seeing the ball into his glove here. Very nonchalant.



438. Jerry Terrell (card 654)

There's a happy batter. It does make the card. And that's quite a terrific signature that I can't picture any player today being able to duplicate, even if his name was Jerry Terrell.



437. Jim Dwyer (card 429)

We're on quite a run of purple-pink cards. I like this card a lot. It has a dreamy effect that I probably can't explain as it's related to my childhood perception. I like the smattering of fans in the stands, I like that this is Candlestick Park and everything is very orange-and-green, while the player is wearing red-and-blue and the card borders are purple, pink and yellow. This is what I love about '75 Topps.



436. Joe Lahoud (card 317)

A solid batting shot enhanced by the photo angle.



435. Kevin Kobel (card 337)

Another one of the mystery players I discovered in the set when I was re-collecting it in 2004-05. Who is he?, I said. Kobel is exhibiting the classic, old-school pitching wind-up and you get to see a lot of old Yankee Stadium in the background.
 
 

434. Rod Gilbreath (card 431) 

Another favorite from the summer of 1975, that's what I think of when I see this card, the summer when I was 9.



433. Dick Drago (card 333)

That's a wonderful mustache and good thing because there's not a lot else going on unless you squint and notice the water tower in the distance.



432. John Knox (card 546)

Another one of those players I discovered while re-collecting the set. It's a nice spring training setting, although I am waiting any minute for a coach to yell at Knox for not looking the ball into his glove.



431. Jack Heidemann (card 649)

This is a classic pose that if it featured a star player would vault this card way up the countdown. It's still pretty good. My favorite part about this card is that Heidemann has cards before and after this card in which he is perfectly clean-shaven. Here, he looks like an entirely different dude.



430. Ollie Brown (card 596)

Helmet sighting! Ollie Brown was a little bit of a favorite back when I was a kid. The Phillie Ollie Brown. Not the Giant or Padre Ollie Brown.



429. Bobby Mitchell (card 468)

You know it's a '70s set because we keep flipping from San Francisco to Oakland and back with the card backgrounds. I like that you can see pregame workouts in the background.
 


428. Glenn Abbott (card 591)

Glenn Abbott's rookie card. It turned out better than some of his later cards. I like the stadium background and I'm not even going to try to say what stadium that is.



427. Grant Jackson (card 303)

Grant Jackson has decent amount of memorable cards (1966, 1977, 1978). I'm not sure if this is with that crowd but it's pleasing enough.
 
 

426. Enos Cabell (card 247)
 
Back in Oakland. The lazy bat swings in this set are hit-or-miss with me.
 
 

 425. Dick Pole (card 513)

The legendary Dick Pole's rookie card! I'm just finding out that Dick Pole makes an appearance as a coach in the 2009 Heritage set as a floating head and I might need to get that.



424. Rookie Infielders (card 623)

Not too many of the rookie prospects cards left to go in the countdown. This one is very top-heavy and a little overlooked.



423. Pat Dobson (card 44)

Pat Dobson is posing in Shea Stadium as if he's a player in the 1890s. I've always found this card a little odd with the jacket collar out and Dobson so formal.
 


422. Runs Batted In Leaders

I'm not sure where Topps got its head shots for cards like these back then, but they aren't the greatest looks for both Burroughs and Bench.



421. Derrel Thomas (card 378)

Another card that I love, not just for the shades, but for all the color matching and clashing on it. Derrel seems to be saying, "can you believe this thing?"

Oh, yes, I can believe it, Derrel. I believe it's beautiful.

Comments

gogosox60 said…
The Glenn Abbott card is taken at old Comiskey Park. In the background behind his head is the old Chicago Cardinals football press box that was last used in 1960 and stayed empty all those years until demolition in 1990.
Old Cards said…
Lot of posed shots in this countdown which I like. The 75 set is not at all ugly. Although my favorite sets are from the 60's, 75 is my favorite set from the 70's.
POISON75 said…
Actually Mr Owl sir... Our team good old friend Abbott is in his first solo card he was playing in the Quad the year before. Also I have a special surprise coming your way on my next package for you.
POISON75 said…
Darn Audio typing my phone should had it read "Our Good Old Friend Abbott....."
I kinda sorta get "1975 Topps is ugly" in that I think most riffs on it - TCMA Baseball Immortals, Upper Deck Decade: The 1970s - are kinda ugly, but in my mind that's more of a "pale imitation" thing.

1975 Topps was of it's time. With color television emerging TV shows were brightly colored. Sports uniforms were brightly colored. The colorful chaos of the 1975 Topps borders are what made it cool.
1984 Tigers said…
Gogosox,

Yep that definitely old Comiskey. I remember as a Tigers fans most of our nearby road games got televised. Even weeknights. That park had the openings were you could see the outside surroundings. Went to my and only game there in 1990 when Sammy Sosa was playing RF for the WS VS YANKS.

John Knox was from the doldrums period for the tigers farm system. Guys like him, Tom Veryzer, Lerrin Lagrow, Gene Lamont, Vern Ruhle, etc were coming up. Which is why they slid to 102 losses in 1975.

It wasn't until 76 and 77 that guys like Fidrych, Trammell, Whitaker, Parrish, Morris, Kemp, etc starting coming up that the team finally for into gear.

For years, my dad lamented that we chose Tom Veryzer before Frank Tanana in the 1971 draft. Tanana was a local boy who had a very nice career, albeit we didn't get him until 1985. Veryzer somehow hung around till the mid 80s. But got replaced by Alan Trammell in the last 70s.
Jon said…
I don't imagine that very many kids back in '75 would've thought this set was ugly. Sounds like that Twitter person was just projecting.