Skip to main content

There's nothing like a show

 
I hit the road for the fourth time in a week yesterday, wrapping up my vacation with a card show.

Interestingly, I did the exact same thing at this time last year, and just like last year, Angus, of Dawg Day Cards, joined me. It's the perfect way to finish off a vacation, because usually I'm in a downer mood that final day and a show is the perfect pick-me-up.

There's nothing like a card show. There's nothing like it to get your mind off of despair and drudgery and there's nothing like it for, well, a lot of things. 

Let's explore.
 

There's nothing like a card show to get you out of bed early
 
The show at the state fairgrounds has been starting and ending earlier than in the past. They also have that VIP thing now in which you can show up even earlier for whatever exclusives I don't care about enough to lose sleep for.
 
But since this show came during my vacation, there was no late-night shift the previous night. We could get started a whole hour earlier. It was kind of strange having that extra time once we got there, but useful, too, as we could roam the whole perimeter of the show at the beginning to devise a game-plan (it's a big building). It paid off right away as Angus spotted the above 1975 Hostess panel just the second table in, and the dealer immediately gave me half off.
 
It was the only Hostess I saw the entire show.
 
I made mental notes of at least six items that I wanted to return to once we completed our walk-through And I think I returned and bought five of them.


There's nothing like a card show to expose your out-of-date want lists

OK, this isn't a positive, it's pretty much the biggest disappointment of the show, but it's a lesson learned. I apparently haven't done a very good job keeping my blog want lists updated recently for my '69 and '70 Topps chases. I now have two want lists to update, with the TCDB lists, too. TCDB is my go-to want list these days, but sometimes I have issues calling up TCDB on my phone on site, so I rely on the NOC want lists. Big mistake this time.

The above three '69s and '70s were the only ones I actually needed.


These ones were all dupes. And not even upgradable dupes I don't think. Oof. ... The Frank Baker I can send to Johnny as I see it's on his want list. The others will be useful at some point, so not to worry, although I definitely could have used that cash for something else.



There's nothing like a card show to help you be content with "Plan B"

The main vintage guy I go to every time he's there is Gary. He was very busy this show and one look at the 1970 binder made me know he had nothing I could use. I wanted to ask if he had a Banks, Santo or Kaline (I asked another vintage dealer and he didn't), but there were a couple of guys occupying him.

But Gary's got a lot of stuff I like. I found a 1979 Topps football binder and pulled a couple stars above. I could have done a lot more damage with the set if I hadn't already blown some budget on those dupes earlier, but I'm happy I got one of the big rookies out of the way.


The other Plan B find at this dealer was a full playing card case of 1971 Laughlin Fleer World Series cards. There were actually two of them and I went through each to see which one had more cards I needed.

I love these so much. There are a few doubles here, but I can repurpose some to my Dodgers binders, and I know I can upgrade some that I have.



There's nothing like a card show dime box to keep you on your feet

There was only one dime box that we saw, and I found it pretty productive. It took me a long time to go through it and I didn't even get to every row as someone else was standing there. You have to have a lot of patience with these, especially when every other sport is mixed in. But I knew I was staying once I found a bunch of 2021 Chrome Platinum Anniversary in there.

I instinctively picked out mostly the legends players. I guess technically I want to complete this set, but I couldn't even build the enthusiasm to spend a dime on some of the lesser-known current players. But a dime for a card of Bob Gibson or Bob Feller is almost stealing.


There were a few Dodgers to fish out, too (along with a Ted Williams). Panini cards will keep dime boxes going to the end of time and it doesn't feel like anything special to find those. But I love discovering parallel Dodgers in these. Also, Cody Bellinger is officially a major dime box resident now.


There's nothing like a card show to remind you you're not done yet

There's always that certain point at a show where you think you've wrapped things up. You've seen all the tables, you might have some cash left, but your eyes are a bit tired (the lighting isn't the best in parts of the facility) and maybe it's time to quit.

But then Angus wanted to check one more table and that turned into a couple of tables. I tagged along, thinking I wouldn't buy anything. But this 1967 Tim McCarver was an easy buy, it was just staring at me. Then another table had 50-cent cards sorted by team. OK, I'll check that.


The Campanella mini goldie is covering up the Kershaw insert that I should've known I had already.
 


There's nothing like a card show with a friend to spot cards you might like

I already mentioned the Hostess panel Angus found. He also found this manu-patch thing. I've seen these online plenty and thought they were weird. Now that I have one in hand, it's ... still weird. 



There's nothing like a card show to hear cards speaking to you

I've known for a long time that the main Adrian Beltre rookie card is the only one of his rookie cards that I need. Lately I've been thinking I should finally get one.

Someone had this Beltre rookie displayed at the tail end of our walk through and I immediately turned around and got it. I could hear it calling to me, maybe Angus and the dealer could, too. It was loud! But now it's quietly happy.
 


Here is the other card that spoke to me. Gracious.

I have never owned a 1954 Red Heart card before, nor really searched out one. But there it was, sitting under glass, practically glowing. It's an almost perfect specimen, and cost less than a blaster -- the blaster prices from five years ago -- and then the dealer knocked 3 bucks off.

That was the find of the show for me and it wasn't anything on any "to-do" list that I brought with me.
 
 

There's nothing like a card show to make the drive time go by

If I'm going to a show by myself, I usually let music speed up the drive (I don't get to be one of those lucky people who can jump in the car and be at the show in 10 minutes). But traveling with a fellow collector makes the drive pass in nothing. Angus and I will talk about cards, sure, and card blogs and collectors. But there's also football and family and music and how life's going and all that. And before you know it, you're pulling into the show.

Plus, Angus always brings cards, which he doesn't need to do. I think I can use one or two of the cards above.


I know I can use this. Sure it's not the easiest to store (but I think it'll go in a one-pocket), but there's no way I'm tearing off that "win up to $1,000"in groceries" tag).
 


Angus also found a Cleveland Browns dupe that fits into my I Interviewed That Guy collection. And it's an autograph, too! Kevin Johnson played for Syracuse when I was covering the team. I don't know if it's worth pulling out the "Brush With Greatness" series for Johnson, I don't remember a ton about the interview, but it's now once of the fanciest cards in my Interview Subjects binder.

Once we got back in town, we stopped at Buffalo Wild Wings as usual. The early start meant we made it back before the 1 p.m. NFL games were done and the Browns were in the process of upsetting the 49ers. I got to watch Angus in agony for the final half. That game was wild (almost as wild as the Bills-Giants game I saw later that night).

So that was the latest October show, probably my favorite month for shows. I won't say it was the most successful -- too much dupe purchasing -- but considering how annoying and awful people act outside of a card show, it's nice to go into that cocoon for a few hours with people who know what's up.

Yeah, there's some weirdness at card shows, too, but ... look! Cards! There's nothing like them.

Comments

Old Cards said…
Looks like a great haul. My favorite is the 67 McCarver, but those World Series cards and 2021 Anniversary cards are pretty nice too.
Angus said…
I had a great time again with you, travelling to/from the show, at the show, and at dinner afterwards.

That Red Heart card was amazing to see in person, and I think I only really heard the echo from when the Beltre was calling you. I think it was pretty focused on on you.

I also bought too many doubles, and a bunch were from different dealers at the show. I ended up buying two of that 91 Donruss Mayfield card if you want one!

I know you told me that you had picked up a bunch of those baseball legends chrome cards, but I didn't expect it to be that many. (I've got to take time and look at all your purchases before dinner arrives instead of concentrating on my Browns, and before covering my hands in wing sauce.)

Glad you get to have a happy wife with the Bills winning. I'm sure it got tense.

I should have my post about the show up tonight or tomorrow.
Chris said…
Nice Erskine! Those Red Hearts are tough finds, particularly in such nice shape as yours. The McCarver, Doug Williams, and Mean Joe are nice ones as well. And all those shiny legends for a dime each, so tough to pass those up. Man I miss card shows.
Grant said…
That Red Heart is a beauty.
Nick said…
The most endearing thing I can say about card shows is that they make me want to wake up early. There's almost nothing in the world that can pull me out of bed one minute earlier than I need to, but shows do.

That looks like a great time - and hey, you found a dime box! Those Platinum Anniversarys certainly would've kept me at that table for a while. Love the '67 McCarver as well - I walked through an entire show looking for that one & eventually found it at a table in the very last aisle (because of course that would happen).
Nick Vossbrink said…
Love the Red Heart and the Squirt panel. Would love to go to a show again. Am kind of saving the budget for a trip to Cooperstown instead though.
Laurens said…
Love the variety of cards that caught your eye and took ownership of - sometimes it is nice to read about a card show report from someone with fresh eyes or someone who makes it an experience, rather than the same old, same old.

1984 Tigers said…
The Squirt card brought back HS and college memories of seeing 6 packs of soda pop bottles with one of those cards hanging on one of the bottles. I liked where I could choose which player(s) I wanted because you could see all of the guys. That card must be from around 1982 to 1986 when both of those guys seemed like future HOF. Both had marvelous careers and won a few WS but injuries derailed their careers before they could put up HOF stats.

The 67 McCarver is a beaut. That's from their 2nd WS champ team of the 60s and a pretty challenging semi high series to find in nice shape.

This blog has convinced me that I need to hit a card show, even though it will mean a 1 hour drive (we used to have monthly card shows here in the 90s but ebay seemed to shift those dealers and buyers to online).
Bo said…
This was a fun post to read after my first card show experience this weekend. I had a great time and will likely go back for more shows soon.
1984 Tigers said…
I checked more into the Squirt cards. Those look to be from 1982 and made in conjunction with Topps (backs are from Topps 82 set but different numbering). Some 22 cards. There was also contest where if you chose to get only one player, instead of two like shown here, the other had a scratch off and rules.

In those days, most pop cans had pull tabs that physically came off (and often found themselves everywhere on the ground as litter in parking lots, school yards, etc.). Each tab had a number under it. Match the number with the scratch off number and designated prize and you won. You had to send the scratch off and tab to an address. Best odds were 50 cents was 1 in 40 cans. It was 1 in 500000 to win the big 1000 of groceries prize.

I would just have grabbed the two best players I could find on the same 6 pack and be fine with it. No need to waste a card on a drawing.
Michael D said…
Looks like you had a great card show visit. Great pick ups. I wish I could find a dime box even a quarter box at show. Seems to only be $1.00 and $5.00 boxes anymore. If you want to trade that extra Kershaw insert let me know.
AdamE said…
I have never seen as pristine a Red Heart as that one. The Red Hearts I have are all beat to heck. The thing I think we all want to know though, Did you wear the belt?
Jon said…
I got my first couple of Hostess panels last month, and find myself liking them a lot more than I thought I would. Now I need more!
Could not agree more! Started set building this year (23 Heritage) to commemorate my daughter’s birth, and to be able to pass on a tradition my grandfather started—giving me a set from my birth year when I graduated high school. Went to my first show and got a ton of SPs I needed for that set, had a fun day with the good friend I convinced to come along with me, and bought some other cards that led to an inspiration to get contributing to the online card community with a blog of my own (WIP)! Love your take on the beauty of a show!
Jafronius said…
Great pickups overall!