Skip to main content

At least it's colorful

 
Last Thursday I had a few errands to run, almost none that I wanted to run. One of them was a dentist visit, so once that was done, I figured I deserved a trip to the card aisle.

My card aisle visits are down to maybe eight times a year -- remember those once-, twice-a-week journeys? -- so it had been a little while. Recent history told me Walmart was the place to go (Target had been hopeless for going on a couple years), so I stopped only to see what looked like three workers huddled up next to where the sports cards go, chatting away. Two of the guys had to be at least 6-4 so I wasn't busting in only to see nothing. So I checked out Target.
 
The shelves there were the typical blizzard of hockey, basketball, nonsports something and Topps complete sets. But I saw one lowly blaster of this year's Allen & Ginter sticking out, which was just what I wanted.
 
A&G and I no longer see eye-to-eye. It's been that way for a few years now. But there is always a little bit of interesting in the set, which is not something I can say for a lot of sets released now. 

I bought the box for too much -- A&G is now 52 cents per card, which is outrageous -- spurred on mostly from what little I had seen online. The cards, while looking almost nothing like past A&G sets, are pleasingly colorful. I like the look. And I had to see the look person.
 


Box break, woooo!

PACK 1


221 - Daniel Van Kirk, comedian
125 - Tim Hudson, Athletics
101 - Mark Vientos, Mets
399 - Randy Johnson, Expos
272 - Ollie Palmer, gold border mini
SS1 - Aaron Judge, Yankees, Spotless Spans insert

OK, some explainers that are sure to annoy ... well, me, but maybe some others. Daniel Van Kirk falls into that category of Forced Into The Set So We Have Easy Autograph Subjects. I had never heard of him, so I quickly listened to some of his stuff. It's all right. It's no inventing the light bulb or even toppling the most dominos.

Much more annoyingly, notice the number of the terrific Randy Johnson. There are now 100 short-printed cards in A&G because the set is 400 cards. I believe almost all of the plus-350 cards are repeat subjects with different pictures, so it's relatively easy to ignore. But even if the subject matter of A&G was the same as it was 10 years ago, that change alone would cause me to decide not to complete the set.

Ollie Palmer is a soccer player and I didn't know there were gold borders until pulling the card. I have no idea if this is a notable pull.
 

PACK 2


 58 - Shea Langeliers, Athletics
133 - Tyler Freeman, Guardians
213 - Olivia Pichardo, college baseball player
239 - Tom Sandoval, TV personality/musician
72 - Gunnar Henderson, Orioles, mini
TT-7 - Great Horned Owl, Talon-ted insert
 
Owlie card! 

This pack is not big on familiarity, although I appreciate the Olivia Pichardo card as I have heard of her. The Gunnar mini is nice, too, let's see if it stays with me or ends up with my nephew.

The Tom Sandoval card is typical A&G pandering, which will continue into the next pack.


PACK 3


201 - Tom Schwartz, TV personality
78 - Rafael Devers, Red Sox
80 - Brett Baty, Mets
312 - Dave Winfield, Padres
SRFD7 - ice cream sundae mini
SS5 - Christy Mathewson, Giants, Spotless Spans insert

There you go, did you know Tom Schwartz and Tom Sandoval are reality TV personalities, who, shocker, opened a restaurant and cocktail lounge! All the ingredients for me wanting a card of them, individually.

The best card in this pack -- sorry, Dave -- is the ice cream sundae. I'm all about a dessert insert set.


PACK 4


44 - Riley Greene, Tigers
145 - Luis Ortiz, Pirates
120 - Freddie Freeman, Dodgers
144 - Jordan Groshans, Marlins
227 - Jon Berti, Marlins, mini
FITS4 - Snorkeling, Fun In The Sun insert

Freddie Freeman is just the first of the Dodgers I pulled in this box who is running out of time to get his act together.

I looked up the Fun In The Sun insert topics. It's filled with things I'll never do. Building A Sand Castle and Enjoying A Pina Colada are about the only ones my speed.


PACK 5


255 - Timmy Trumpet, DJ/musician
297 - Shintaro Fujinami, Athletics
252 - Tommy Coughlin, pro wiffle ball player
308 - Vladimir Guerrero, Expos
6 - Xander Bogaerts, Padres, A&G mini
SS16 - Greg Maddux, Braves, Spotless Spans insert
 
For those who aren't Mets fans, Timmy Trumpet is the guy who played Edwin Diaz's walk-in music. I'm assuming he wasn't too busy this past season. 

The Spotless Spans is this year's massive baseball-themed insert that A&G has had for most of its existence since 2006. It's mostly an excuse for Topps to get all of the Hall of Famers in the set again, as well as more stars for the star-chasers to chase.


PACK 6


17 - Ken Griffey Jr., Reds
153 - Gavin Lux, Dodgers
8 - Gerrit Cole, Yankees
92 - Matthew Liberatore, Cardinals
RDV4 - Corbin Carroll, Diamondbacks, 2006 A&G mini rookie variation throwback
MTYE - Violin, Music To Your Ears insert
 
A lot of the inserts this year are pretty basic, but I like the topics.
 
The Corbin Carroll card, I guess, is the hit of the blaster. It'd mean more if 1) I didn't just see another blogger pull it and 2) The Dodgers weren't losing to the worthless Diamondbacks right now. Plus, Carroll -- without knowing very much about him -- just seems odd. 


PACK 7


279 - Kenley Jansen, Red Sox
184 - Andre Dawson, Cubs
122 - Jeremy Pena, Astros
333 - Larry Walker, Rockies
347 - Sammy Sosa, Cubs, mini
SS22 - Mariano Rivera, Yankees, Spotless Spans insert

This surely only bugs me, but several images in this set -- like the Andre Dawson -- show the player cut off at the waist. Working in newspapers almost my whole career, I've learned all the cropping rules and you are not supposed to crop people at the waist, nor shoulder, elbow, knee, ankle, etc. I thought everyone knew that. Or maybe we're ignoring that too.


PACK 8


85 - Mookie Betts, Dodgers
183 - Oswaldo Peraza, Yankees
264 - Nolan Arenado, Cardinals
246 - Ermsy, artist
O1-12 - Only In ... Kansas City mini
TT9 - Golden Eagle, Talon-ted insert

Mookie is the other Dodger who needs to find his inner July-August ballplayer. There will be plenty of glee when the Dodgers are eliminated, from the usual fans of less-together franchises. But the real feat of the Dodgers this year has already been accomplished -- winning 100 games with an absolutely broken pitching staff.

Ermsy is a suitably weird card. He's one of the Project 2020 artists. I wasn't crazy about his cards.

I do like the Only In ... minis a lot. The cards showcase a notable feature of an MLB ballpark. The deep-red borders are very cool and in a less-stable moment I may consider collecting that insert set.

But, for now, I am not collecting anything from this set -- just the usual Dodgers.

It's colorful, sure, but the set no longer speaks to me ... and why would I spend 52 cents per card on something like that?

Comments

Doc Samson said…
Allen and Ginter has always been a strange bird to me. But I do understand why people like it and collect it. Somewhere up above Bob Ross is undoubtedly opening a pack.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Nice Pichardo pull. I do like the Only In minis. Seems a bit weird to call Ollie Palmer a soccer player since I suspect he's only in the set because of Welcome to Wrexham.
Nick said…
The "Only In..." cards are wonderful. If they're anything like most A&G insert sets, I'll acquire one or two a year as they sit on my want list for near-eternity.

Really don't like what Topps did with the SPs this year. I've accepted that short-prints are gonna be a part of most sets these days, but don't give us the same guys twice.
Thanks for sharing so many images of the cards that are in the set. I just can't stand the non-baseball player cards. I guess the other stuff is the point of A & G??? Well, it's just dumb to me.
Watch next week when I post those 3 for $40.00 blasters (A&G abd TCPA) against each other.
Brett Alan said…
Pichardo is definitely the sort of person they should have in this set. Not so much the reality TV stars and wiffle ball players. Actually I wouldn't mind those so much if they also managed to have some bigger names. But we've been through that before.

I would have appreciated the two Mets rookies and Timmy Trumpet if I'd gotten this box, though.
Matt said…
I will say I like the border design this year. I also want to become a professional wiffle ball player now...
Jimetal7212 said…
Maybe a little props to A&G for Johnson being in an Expos uniform. maybe it's me, but I don't recall Topps issuing too many new cards of him repping Montreal. Almost always Seattle, Houton or Arizona.
Michael D said…
I haven't been a fan of A&G. Every now and then I'll see a cool looking card, but not enough to buy any.
1984 Tigers said…
Night owl,

Now you've got me interested. I'm assuming this box ran you about 20 bucks? I have over 100 dollars in walgreens cash and will see if they have any of those where I can essentially get them for free.

Anything else I should look for at walgreens just for fun?

Will probably hit there later tonight.

Thanks for the write ups always!
A lot of folks seem to not know much about Carroll. But I have been actively seeking him out for quite a while now. Fun break, thanks for doing it!
Jafronius said…
Other than the price, it seems like you liked the set. Maybe you'll get lucky and come across a bunch in a show's dime boxes.