Skip to main content

Random posting for the start of the division series

 
OK, back by popular demand, here is a look at my collection based on who is in the Division Series (what used to be the lowliest of the playoff series, but now we have a bunch of wild-card hoo hah and fandoodle).
 
There are four new teams to consider. Of course, there are four holdover teams that I've already considered, so for those four repeats, I'm going to select my second "oldest" and "newest" card for that team. The random is still random.
 
All right, I have the Dusty Baker card above that represents three teams in this postseason. Let's do this:
 
ORIOLES VS. RANGERS
 
Baltimore Orioles
(cards in my collection: 2,574. Overall rank: 14th)
 

Oldest card in my collection: 1956 Topps Chuck Diering (I decided to leave a lot of these uncropped, because I like the effect ... or did at the time).
 

 
Newest card in collection: 2023 Topps Heritage New Age Performers Gunnar Henderson. 



Random card in my collection: 1988 Topps Jim Dwyer


Thoughts?: The 1950s Orioles sure were an anonymous bunch, which makes sense because they just got done being St. Louis Browns. The Gunnar Henderson card reminds me that I sure hear about the young Orioles a lot but I haven't seen many of their games. And, finally, Jim Dwyer shows up on two posts in a row!

Texas Rangers
(cards in my collection: 2,367. Overall rank: 21st)
 


Second-oldest card in my collection: 1972 Topps Pete Broberg



Second-newest card in my collection: 2023 Topps Heritage Then & Now, Jeff Burroughs & Aaron Judge



Random card in my collection: 2022 Topps Mike Foltynewicz


Thoughts?: I had no idea Folty ever played for anyone other than the Braves. Also, Jeff Burroughs shows up on two straight posts! As for the Pete Broberg card, I relied on the TCDB scan and that was a mistake.
 
Who I want to win: Orioles


ASTROS VS. TWINS

Houston Astros
(cards in my collection: 2,422. Overall rank: 19th)



Oldest card in my collection: 1965 Topps Bob Bruce



Newest card on my collection: 2023 Topps Heritage Yuli Gurriel



Random card from my collection: 1979 Topps Wilbur Howard


Thoughts?: That's three distinct eras of Astros right there. Bob Bruce looks Texas-born but he was from NYC. Wilbur Howard is one of those players confined to the time when I was a kid collecting cards. Those players are special.


Minnesota Twins
(cards in my collection: 2,561. Overall rank: 15th)



Second oldest card in my collection: 1963 Fleer Vic Power



Second newest card in my collection: 2023 Topps Heritage Tyler Mahle



Random card on my collection: 1975 Topps Bert Blyleven


Thoughts?: Well, all right, one my favorite '75s for the random card! Not that I need any swaying in rooting for the Twins in this series but that's a nice excuse card for rooting for them! The '63 Fleer Vic Power isn't bad either.

Who I want to win: Twins


BRAVES VS. PHILLIES

Atlanta Braves
(cards in my collection: 2,773. Overall rank: 9th)



Oldest card in my collection: 1955 Bowman Ernie Johnson



Newest card in my collection: 2023 Topps Heritage Then & Now: Darrell Evans and Juan Soto



Random card in my collection: 1984 Donruss Bob Horner


Thoughts?: That Ernie Johnson Bowman card is one of my all-time favorite night cards and one of the oldest night cards in my collection. The '23 Heritage Then & Nows are full of players from my childhood and I need to have them all.


Philadelphia Phillies
(cards in my collection: 2,868. Overall rank: 5th)



Second oldest card in my collection: 1956 Topps Mayo Smith



Second newest card in my collection: 2023 Topps Heritage 1974 Stamps



Random card in my collection: 1984 Topps Al Holland


Thoughts?: The Super 1984 card that I pulled -- I bought just one pack back in '84 -- was Al Holland. As for the 1956 Mayo Smith, I remember the days when I desperately wanted that card, the cartoon version of Smith waving his arms is so comical. Now I finally have it and everyday I'm happy about that.

Who I want to win: Phillies


DIAMONDBACKS VS. DODGERS

Arizona Diamondbacks
(cards in my collection: 783. Overall rank: 31st -- I have fewer Diamondbacks cards than any other current team, as it should be).


Second oldest card in my collection: 1997 Topps David Hayman/Ron Hartman



Second-newest card: 2023 Topps Heritage Gabriel Moreno



Random card from my collection: 2016 Topps Heritage Diamondbacks Rookie Stars


Thoughts?: I absolutely hate viewing current Diamondbacks players' cards right now. What weasely player is going to have a career four games and then disappear off the earth this week? I have a few guys in mind. I miss the Socrates Brito era.


Los Angeles Dodgers
(cards in my collection: 27,689. Overall rank: 1st)



Oldest card in my collection: 1909-11 T206 Al Burch



Newest card in my collection: 2023 Topps Now All-Star Mookie Betts



Random card in my collection: 1999 Bowman Chrome Adrian Beltre


Thoughts?: I believe all three of those cards came from someone else, I did not acquire them by myself.
 
Who I want to win: Dodgers, duh.

I have the whole week off to watch whatever playoff games I want. I expect a whole lot of agony and some very unsatisfactory outcomes. Maybe about one in every six or seven of these postseasons ends in a pleasant surprise. I don't understand why that can't happen more often. Do I really hate too many teams?

I think I do. They just can't all be the Dodgers.

Comments

1984 Tigers said…
Night owl,

Mayo Smith had two pretty non descript stints in the 50s as a NL manager then went to be a Yankees scout. The tigers hired him at the end of 1966 after having a few managers in the 60s die during or after the season. He was well liked by tigers fans because he finally got the team over the hump in 1968. Not only did he move CF Mickey Stanley to SS to replace 135 hitting Ray Oyler for the 1968 Series but also his letting Mickey Lolich bat down 3 2 in the bottom of 7th Game 5. Lolich singled to start a 3 run rally and the tigers never trailed again.

Funny seeing the very lame Pete Broberg Senators card badly airbrushed almost glowing in Yankees stadium.

Did you ever pick up a colts 45 card. During the 65 topps set, first they are just called Houston and only in the later series called Astros. Finding that 63 topps colts team card was a really pain. Got one after a long search.

As for Bob Bruce, he was actually raised in Detroit after being born in NYC. He later signed pre draft as a local boy and then later lived in my home town of Livonia. I was friends of a friend who was actually his neighbor. Super nice guy from what I heard.
night owl said…
I do have Colt .45 cards, I should've made that the oldest.
Brett Alan said…
It hadn't occurred to me that all four remaining AL playoff teams have changed their nickname in the modern era.
Nick said…
Since my Cubs (predictably) choked on their playoff push, I'm throwing my hat into the Orioles ring for the playoffs this year. I like seeing new teams in the running (ugh, Astros *again*??) and the O's have a fun young crop of dudes.
Bo said…
- TCDB counts Colt .45s and Astros as different teams, I think.

- Guess the D-Backs were banging on the trash cans tonight?
Nick Vossbrink said…
I figured that the 65 Astros card was intentional. Would be interesting to do the AL again with oldest franchise card and open up the floor to Browns, Senators, 45s and Senators.
Old Cards said…
Some great vintage cards! Always wished that the Astros had kept the name Colt .45's! The caps look really nice!
I want to see those images of Jeff Burroughs and Darrell Evans on their own cards with the original backgrounds.

I might borrow the "Oldest card for each team" idea... but would, of course, credit you for the inspiration if it comes to fruition.
AdamE said…
"I have the whole week off to watch whatever playoff games I want. I expect a whole lot of agony and some very unsatisfactory outcomes. Maybe about one in every six or seven of these postseasons ends in a pleasant surprise. I don't understand why that can't happen more often. Do I really hate too many teams?"

Sport is agony. We agree to suffer endlessly in exchange for the mere possibility of sublime rapture. Sometimes we even get it.”
- Mike Duncan (writer of one chapter in Joe Posnansli's Why We Love Baseball