Skip to main content

Sorting through, part 2

 
OK, I'm back to the big box of cards-and-such from Johnny's Trading Spot. This is the baseball portion of the box.

I'm still not done sorting through it. He sent two long boxes packed with Dodger cards.


Apparently one box used to house a 1985 Fleer set? I just completed that set a couple months ago, I'd still rather complete it traditionally than buy the whole thing at once, although for what I want that's left from the '80s, I may be done with traditional means.

So with all those Dodgers -- a lot of them from the '90s and early '00s -- I'm on round two of going through the boxes because you miss those dumb parallels and other things. It's actually quite fun finding stuff the second time.


There are a bunch of parallel needs now. The color parallels like the Gypsy Queen Jansen jump right out at me, but stuff like the '96 Stadium Club Martinez and the '96 Fleer glossy thingies (there was a lot of '96 in those boxes) got past me until the second sort.



Johnny apparently came across somebody unloading their Adrian Gonzalez collection, there were a mess of those, these are all needs, including I believe the only relic in the box.



Here's another abandoned player collection, I think, in Alex Verdugo, including the Tek-themed reboot that I don't think I'll ever fully appreciate but why not? Sure are a lot of shiny cards.



There were also a lot of Andre Ethier cards, but I have even more Ethier cards, thanks to the Golden Blog Days when Ethier was at his prime. The 2018 mini was the only one to emerge from the box as a need (it's next to the base card as comparison).



Speaking of player collecting, I've mentioned that not a lot Kershaws and Bettseses emerge from Johnny's sends, so it was nice to see these needs show up. That Kershaw on the bottom left has popped up on COMC for years when I do "cheap Kershaw card" searches. I pass it by every time because it's a strange little dude. Now it's mine.


Some Cosmic Chrome to boggle your eyeballs. I've lost track on whether this is 2022 or 2023 Cosmic. Sorry, I'm old.



Some just plain cool Dodger needs ... well, I don't think anyone needs another Andre Jackson auto outside of his immediate family but old habits. The 1981 Fleer Welch card is the "Bob Welch" back variation, which I'm pretty sure I don't have.
 


Probably the cards that I appreciate the most out of the box as they either complete a team set or get me close to completing a team set. The Alfredo Griffin and wild Kevin Brown card were second-time-through realizations.



I think these were my first looks at 2023 Allen & Ginter, I would pick up a blaster right around the same time.


John later sent an envelope with a few more A&G needs (now down to needing just the SP Dodgers) plus my first look at 2023 Update with MY FIRST DODGER JASON HEYWARD CARD.

The owlies at the bottom wrap up the owlie portion of that insert set. I think they might repeat an earlier A&G owlie mini set with the exact same kinds of owls. I'll have to investigate ... and then bore the hell out of you with what I find.
 


Here are some non-Dodgers from the box, all Pacific needs from the last major Pacific Legends set, which I think is the one where I need to most stuff.



Super Swell! More for the 1990 set!



A couple of night cards! No I haven't had time to see if they make the binder.



John also sent several of these Brooklyn Dodgers postcards that he showed off on his blog a little while ago. I'm not too into stuff like this and John's given me the task of finding Duke, Pee Wee, Jackie and Campy from these sets, so that's now way down on the priority list. Nice-looking cards though.

I showed off the pretty cool pennant up at the top. I might have room in the card room to add that. If not, it can go in my office at work.

Yeah, there's still work to do on that box, but this is the last post about it. ... And, as always, I have MANY, MANY Dodger duplicates. I'd be more than happy to send you as many as you like. No, they will not be all 1990 Donruss. Unless that's what you want (in which case, I might have a few).

Comments

Old Cards said…
Frank Crosetti looks totally out of place in that group of Swell cards!
Those Verdugo, Either, and Gonzalez player dumps, came out of my PC. Still no where near done weeding those guys out. Still boxes and boxes plus a binder or two to get into. There are more guys like PUIG and Profar will eventually need to be weeded out. The Cosmic Chrome are 2023.
Bo said…
Johnny really hooked you up! That looks like it was a lot of fun to go through.
1984 Tigers said…
Love the Pacific set. What a mix of players from different eras and photos I've never seen before. Love the Steve Stone is the rad 1970s uniform and the exploding fireworks style Comiskey scoreboard.
Grant said…
That Kevin Brown is a nice looking card. The Piazza Rookie Sensation was a really hot card at the time.
Jon said…
There sure is a lot of shiny in this post. The postcards are neat. I'll have to try and find that Maglie at some point.
Jafronius said…
Great stuff from Johnny!