Skip to main content

The aftermath

 
I'm not too enthused about the remainder of the MLB postseason. It seems like I say this almost every year, since like 1989, but this year's final four is particularly yawn-inducing.

I'll watch -- when I'm not working -- but there will be no recording for later viewing. The Phillies will be the only team I care to see win the World Series and there are two teams left I have absolutely no interest in seeing win ... anything ... at any time.

I was going to do another "oldest card," "newest card," for the League Championship Series but I'm not feeling it. Instead, yesterday, I got interested in looking up what former Dodgers were on each of the remaining teams, so let's go in that direction.

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

There are three players on the Phillies' 40-man roster who have played for the Dodgers, although only two are on the current roster. Dylan Covey, who played very briefly for the Dodgers this season, is not active. The two who are playing are Trea Turner and Craig Kimbrel.


Most notable Dodger card I have of the ex-Dodgers

The 2022 Archives red foil, numbered to 50, is probably the fanciest Dodger card I have of Turner, edging out the Panini relic up top. I do miss Turner playing for the Dodgers, though I don't miss his occasional defensive missteps.


TEXAS RANGERS

This is the team with the most former Dodgers on it. There are four active players, three of them pitchers. Nathan Eovaldi, Andrew Heaney and Josh Sborz all pitched for the Dodgers. I often wonder what the Dodgers could've done with Eovaldi on their staff for the last decade.

The other player is Corey Seager as the Dodgers sure did enjoy shedding themselves of starting shortstops.


Most notable card I have of the ex-Dodgers

Corey Seager is in my top 15 of the players for which I have the most cards. Out of that, just five are Rangers cards. I have more than that in Seager rookie cards alone. But this is my only autograph card of Seager. It's nice and shiny.


HOUSTON ASTROS

The Astros do not have any former Dodgers on their team. People like to bring up that the Dodgers once had Yordan Alvarez, and that's true, and it's true they traded him to Houston for Josh Fields. But Alvarez never played even a minor league game for the Dodgers. He was signed as a free agent out of Cuba in mid-June of 2016 and traded Aug. 1, 2016. That's barely any time to evaluate what you have. But certain classy Astros fans like to bait Dodgers fans to this day.
 
(An alert reader mentioned manager Dusty Baker, which considering the Diamondbacks selection -- see below -- I should note here. I have a later post saved for Baker and was trying to avoid mentioning him this time).


Most notable card I have of the pseudo-ex-Dodger

Remember the hype around this card? What's Aristides Aquino doing these days? It's been only three years and I'm asking that. That's the fleeting nature of prospecting, it's barely anything tangible.


ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS

The Diamondbacks do not have any former Dodgers on their team as far as I can tell -- I didn't go back into any of the lesser-known players' minor league days.

In fact I had to go into the coaching staff to find anyone who played for the Dodgers. I found one guy. The bullpen coach.


Most notable card I have of the ex-Dodger

Mike Fetters pitched for the Dodgers in 2000 and 2001. This MLB Showdown card is the only one I have of him in a Dodger uniform. It might be his only Dodger card period.
 
So there you are. I listed the teams in order of how much I'd like them to win it all.
 
Thanks to all the postseason tweaks over the years, my interest in the playoffs, has faded a bit. The short series may create excitement for the casual fan, but there's a slight feeling of illigitamacy when the teams who were great all through the season get knocked off immediately.

The dupey L.A. Times sportswriters in typical sensationalistic fashion have indicated that the Dodgers' loss to the Diamondbacks may be some fatal flaw in the organization. Doubtful. First, I'm surprised the Dodgers managed to avoid finishing in third place this season. That's where I thought they'd be. To come up with 100 wins, nevermind a World Series title, is wild to me. Second, every team is susceptible to being upended in the current playoff structure. (Well, except for the inhuman Astros).

In other words, I ain't worried.

But I do wish we could end the postseason before November.

Comments

Zippy Zappy said…
I want to skip to the part where Shohei Ohtani signs with the Dodgers.
Jeremya1um said…
At least your Dodgers got the title in 2020. I’m still waiting for the Rays to live up to their potential and get through the playoffs unscathed. It’s time to do away with divisions and just let the top 4 records in each league advance, 5 game 1st round, 7 game championship series, and 7 game World Series. Nobody wants to see a team just over .500 take a title. With Manfraud’s talk of expansion, I’m sure we’ll see more playoff teams and our first December playoff games by the year 2028.
night owl said…
I agree with this playoff proposal vigorously.
Chris said…
I'm not even watching this postseason. Kinda hoping the Phillies and Astros win, but I won't lose sleep over it if they don't. I do think it would be funny if the Rangers won without deGrom, like they gave him $185 mil for nothing hah.

Don't you have it when you intentionally omit something and someone points it out "you forgot about..." like you can't even plan a post ahead.
Nick said…
Before the playoffs started, I said something along the lines of "great, we'll probably get a Rangers-Phillies World Series or something" (two teams I care very little about). Getting more scary to think that I might've been right...

I'm fine with the playoffs the way they are but wouldn't mind seeing a tweak or two, or even a division realignment. People complaining about all the big teams getting knocked out this year seem to forget that the Braves had the very same five-day layoff a couple years ago...and won the World Series.

(Also, always love seeing an MLB Showdown card pop up on the blogs!)
Mike Matson said…
I only want the Phils to win so Thomson gets a ring. First Canadian to win a Series as a manager sounds cool..
Otherwise .. Meh....
Old Cards said…
It's been evident since the dawn of the 20th century that the true test of the quality of a baseball team is determined over the long haul playing 135-160 games a year. The World Series was an exciting conclusion to the season watching the two teams with the best records from each league go at each other. Seeing the teams with the best records get knocked out early in a short series took the fun out of the post season for me.
"slight feeling of illegitimacy when the teams who were great all through the season get knocked off immediately". I would remove the 'slight', and then agree.

I have been piling up a lot of Seager cards recently, since he is no longer a Dodger, a lot of nice ones pop up in my cheap boxes around here.
Bo said…
A counterargument is that if these teams were as good as their record they wouldn't get bumped off so frequently by "inferior" teams. These weren't series that were decided by a fluky bounce or one player briefly playing above their skills. If the Dodgers were as good as their 100-62 record they wouldn't have been blown out by a team 16 games worse than them. Not a knock on the Dodgers; my team the Yankees is probably the poster child for a team that is consistently not as good as their regular season looks.
NPB Card Guy said…
> What's Aristides Aquino doing these days?
Just finished an absolutely horrendous season with the Chunichi Dragons in Japan
GCA said…
I was going to watch the postseason this year since my Orioles were in it and I hadn't seen anything but the game I went to. Unfortunately, they got run out so fast I only saw half a game. Now it seems like it's only been a few days and the League Champ series' are on already. Oh well.
And I'll bet if the Rangers and D'backs make it to the World Series, the network suits will be hatin' life.
Doc Samson said…
I can’t stand the current playoff format. It dilutes the regular season completely. Pennant races used to be so intense. Who could forget The Mets and The Cardinals going at it in The NL East back in the 1980’s? Yeah, I sound like an old man yelling at a cloud. But who wants to see the MLB turning into the NBA and the NHL? And get rid of the legalized gambling, too!
Brett Alan said…
A player having his only card with a team in MLB Showdown, of all things, feels pretty wrong to me.