Skip to main content

Just one more thing about this set

 
So, the October/November issue of Beckett Vintage Collector appeared in my mailbox on Saturday, right before I headed out the door for a few days.

As mentioned earlier, the issue's arrival was delayed almost a month. I'm assuming it was mail or distribution problems, but no matter, it's here now.

I wanted to see if one or both of the articles I had most recently written were in this issue, with the terrific Rickey Henderson cover. One of them was. And I was informed that the other one will show up in the December/January issue.

This is the 17th article I've written for Beckett. I'm mostly impressed that I can still come up with topics. Who knows how long that will last. This most recent topic is one I've written about on the blog many times, and others have covered this set quite a bit, too.

It's been 50 years since Topps released the 1973 Topps baseball set, much-discussed in blog circles (I mentioned that in the article). So when I got the green light to do the story, I searched for a different way to approach it. I just couldn't rehash the same old airbrushing stories, etc., at least not make that the focus of the story.

I decided to see if I could talk to some collectors who worked on that set back in 1973, and I was lucky enough to find a couple of blog readers who were willing to give their thoughts. You may know them from the comments. Both "1984 Tigers" and "Doc Samson" were gracious enough to relay their thoughts and experiences with '73 Topps. And that's what made this article.


A portion of the article is about that final-series checklist, which I wrote more than one blog post about when I was tackling the set. It's been a sticking point for decades, apparently, which I found out when doing the story.

It was nice hearing those childhood experiences with the '73 set. I didn't collect that set as a kid, I was still a year or two away from being interested in cards. And it took me years and years to appreciate what this set means to so many. (But I also made sure to cover the good and "bad").

I always try to cover on the blog something related to whatever magazine article I've just written, but I'm pretty much tapped out on '73 Topps. About all I can think of is a throw-away post on the position graphics in '73.

My first experience with the little position guys on Topps cards was not with '73 Topps but with '76 Topps. I recall seeing the '73 cards for the first time and thinking "what, they already DID this?" Because I saw '76 first, I have an allegiance to those drawings, but the '73s came first so those deserve credit.

How about if I pit them against each other to see which is the Supreme Position Drawing Of The '70s?

Sounds good to me.



FIRST BASE

If you're not a fan of silhouettes, you're going to vote for '76 every time, but I'll ignore that and go with what's being illustrated. You can see the '76 first baseman catching the ball, that's cool, but his right foot doesn't seem to be anywhere near the bag.

✓ 1973 Topps



SECOND BASE

The '73 second baseman is casually fielding a grounder. The '76 drawing is much more action-packed with the second baseman leaping above a sliding base-runner in a bid to complete the double play.

✓ 1976 Topps



SHORTSTOP

Again, the '73 infielder is securing a grounder while the '76 infielder is directly engaged with a base-runner, this one seems like a stolen-base attempt.

✓ 1976 Topps



THIRD BASE

I've always liked the '76 third base drawing but he doesn't seem to be doing a heck of a lot, maybe waiting for a throw from the outfield. The '73 third baseman seems to be channeling Brooks Robinson, which would be time-appropriate in '73.

✓ 1973 Topps



OUTFIELD

As a kid, I thought the '76 outfielder was waving. I didn't know what was going on. There is definitely a bit of style with the '76 guy as he glides back for a fly ball. The '73 looks like a lunging stab of a shot that was almost past him. I've seen that like six times in the postseason already. '73 gets the slight edge.

✓ 1973 Topps



CATCHER

I've always liked the '73 catcher pose, though not sure when a mitt arm stretched out that far wouldn't interfere with the batter. Maybe he's just setting a target for his pitcher. The '76 catcher is a bit casual.

✓ 1973 Topps


PITCHER

Full credit for both '73 and '76 using different drawings for right- and left-handed pitchers. The '73 is a classic wind-up finish. The '76s I've never understood. Maybe if the pitcher threw underhand, this would make sense. Or maybe he's shoveling the ball to first base after picking up a short grounder? Anyway ...

✓ 1973 Topps


1973 Topps wins it 5-2, though I love those '76 middle infielder icons.
 
 

1976 also had a designated hitter position guy, but there was none of that in '73 at the dawn of the DH, so there's nothing to compare.

So, that, maybe, is my last dedication to 1973 Topps. I think I've run out of things to say, but you know how that goes when it comes to cards.

Comments

Nick Vossbrink said…
1973 also has the manager silhouette. I have a similar allegiance as you to 1976 as I encountered them first and more often than 1973s when I was a kid. As a custom card maker though I find the 1973 silhouettes lend themselves much better to fun variants.
Old Cards said…
Great comparison. I'm glad 73 won. I collected 73 aggressively and have a bunch of duplicates. One of the things I like most is the size of the set. After that gigantic 72 set, it was time to downsize. I don't like cards like Dave Nelson and Tommie Agee where the players are so far away, and you have to pick out the featured player from a crowd. Congrats on the article.
sg488 said…
What about the catcher?
night owl said…
Ha, good catch. I was rushing to see the Braves-Phillies game and I left out the catcher scans (damn postseason). Updated now.
I'm still 1 card short of completing the set, no it's not the Schmidt rookie, but the card before it #614. I said this recently but I probably should go get that card and put a fork in it (for the 2nd time). #2 yep You may remember that 8 million card deal I bought in 2015 that started off with the run of complete 70's sets in binders the stars were beaters but the rest were okay. I traded those away back then, and no sooner than I did that I decided to build the sets the hard way, but it really is the only way to "build the set". Card by card. I think the Charlie Spikes rookie is calling my name, gotta go get him, lol.
Doc Samson said…
Thank you, Mr. Owl, for the opportunity to share my experiences!
POISON75 said…
After finishing up my 1973 set this year with my $50 find at the National of my Michael Jack Schmidt RC. I recall 2 years ago when I first started on my 73 set funny thing 1 dealer at the National helped me w/25 cards at 1 time the infamous SP Checklist that had a small hairline crease on the top that he was selling for $20 Unmarked which was I thought was a steal but then he threw in a what I thought was a complete set of the Blue Team Checklists Unmarked for $5 more I jumped at chance only to find out 12 were marked after I got back to the hotel room to cross them off my wantlists. Well....needless to say I got the remaining 11 at the show still but lacked the hometown team if wasn't for my friend Pat she hooked me up with the hometown Tigers Team to complete the them but I can't complain about the costs on my 2 26 card prices for those cards.
1984 Tigers said…
I never realized the two different pitcher poses, lefty and righty. Thanks for pointing out. Definitely appreciated the long call and helping our with your 1973 article. Great to talk cards with anyone, especially the night owl. I tried to find the blue checklist cards but the few I found were marked and sometimes creased. I think I have just the tigers team and it's marked.

Back in the early 90s, a local card store owner and I struck up a friendship and loved talking cards. I remember him buying a 1973 opc Schmidt rookie. He showed me the card. Someone had used a pen on the back side to cover over the opc logo. Told him that probably dropped the value by 90 percent. A Schmidt opc would have been expensive enough at the time.

I like the 76 set but it didn't have the same pull on me at the time as the 75 minis did in Detroit.
1984 Tigers said…
Night owl,

Has beckett vintage done any articles in the past few years about the early 60s Post cereal sets. Or the 60 or 61 fleer all time greats sets?

Those two became an interest to me about 20 years ago. Put together a full 60 fleer set and mostly full sets of 61F and 61 to 63 post sets. Then had to start putting the excess money into a college fund so never finished them.

Bo said…
The position guys are so central to the design of the '73 set. (Kind of similar in a way is the 2004 set.) The '76 position guys seem superfluous, at least to me. In fact I had completely forgotten they were in the design (I usually focus on the photograph when looking at a card). I literally forgot those existed in the design, which is wild considering how prominent they are. Weird what the brain will edit out when looking at something.
Matt said…
The only one I'd disagree with you with is the pitchers. The '73 silhouette always looked weird to me - the legs look too long, and because I don't know where the front arm's elbow is I always want to take it all the way back, making it look monstrously long as well.
Michael D said…
I really like the '73 set and beginning to like the '76 more and more. I seem to have a hard time finding '73 cards that aren't mis-cut though.
Nick said…
Congrats on another article! '73 might just be inching its way into the #2 slot on my all-time favorite Topps list ('65 will always be #1) - there's just so much I love about these & I'm still discovering great ones I'd never seen before.
Jon said…
Have they tried to hire you full-time yet?
Jafronius said…
Much delayed congrats on getting that magazine!