Skip to main content

Sorting through, part 1

 
I don't know about you other bloggers but sometimes I have big plans for this blog, but the plans are too big and halfway in the middle of prepping, I look at the clock and I have to pivot to Plan B or Plan C.

I don't mean to say that anything in Plan B or Plan C is second-best, it's just not what I had planned for today. 

I had planned the next installment of the 1975 Topps Worst-To-Best Countdown, it's well overdue, but it's not ready yet. (I guess this is why people schedule posts in advance, but I can't get myself to do that).
 
So I'll show off what appeared in an absolutely giant box of cards that Johnny's Trading Spot sent me probably a couple of weeks ago now. I've been sorting through it ever since and I'm still not done with the baseball part.

I am finished with the non-baseball stuff, so let's go with that in Part 1.

John very nicely sent me a full set of 2021 Topps Chrome Tennis. I have mentioned a time or two that I'm interested in the set, and I had actually started sniffing around at box prices and such when the whole thing showed up at my door.


It's not a large set, only 100 cards. It's very shiny, obviously, and since the backgrounds are empty, it displays all kinds of finger prints and dust and everything. Photographing this was a nightmare. I almost had to go to Plan D (no, I don't know what that would be).

The set is a random cross-section of men's and women's pro players through history. There are current players and black & white images of notables from decades ago. I like tennis and I follow it casually so I was happy with a lot of the checklist, but I admittedly don't know a lot of the players here. That's probably just my ignorance, but it'll motivate me to find out who some of them are.

It's also got a lot of stars, which made me curious about what notables are missing. There are a lot. Here are some of those missing for the men:

Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Bjorn Borg, Andre Agassi, John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Ivan Lendl, Boris Becker, Arthur Ashe, Lleyton Hewitt, Mats Wilander

And for the women:

Steffi Graf, Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Monica Seles, Justine Henin, Althea Gibson, Lindsay Davenport, Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, Kim Clijsters, Jennifer Capriati, Maria Sharapova, Gabriela Sabatini

I'm sure the reason for a lot of those missing is "licensing." Topps hasn't done anything with tennis in I don't know how long (maybe never?), so I guess to get who they got is decent.

Here are some of the notable men in the set:



Here are some of the notable women:


I think Topps did better with the women's checklist than the men's. Some favorites included here.

Although the cards are pretty spare, I like the look. I'm still a sucker for chrome in certain cases and it certainly classes up this set. Tennis gets ignored in the U.S. but I'll watch tennis on TV before I watch any other sport that's not baseball or the NFL. The one-on-one nature of the sport intrigues me and it helps that I played just a little in my younger days.




The box included a smattering of the inserts, which look very nice. If I didn't have so many baseball interests I would try to chase some of these.



John also sent a decent amount of refractors from the set, because of course chrome needs its parallels.

I like completing a set without any effort once in awhile and since it's pretty small, I already have a binder ready to store it. I'd like to say it'd be nice if there were tennis sets in the future, but I probably shouldn't be adding anything else to collect.

Speaking of which ...


John also sent a bunch of 1970s Wacky Packages! Most of these are from around Series 10 or so. That's after I stopped collecting them as a kid, but they're still from the mid-1970s, so they have that appeal that us kids liked so much at the time.


Several more. I kind of mixed up the order of these when I was getting this post ready (quickly). It'll take a little bit to put them back in order -- it's not like they wrote which series it was on the back.


John even snuck in one of those Lost Wackys, which I find fascinating. He wrote about these underground stickers on his blog a couple years ago. It made me want to grab a few, but they're a lot of money, so never mind.

That does it for the non-baseball portion of the box. I'm sure that Part 2 -- all the baseball cards -- will be more-read than this post, as this is night owl-core right here.

But I think the '75 countdown post will be coming up next before I get to that. I just hate having half-finished posts sitting there undone.

Comments

Nick Vossbrink said…
Zero idea about Chrome Tennis but now I'm going to have to check the CL for alumni.
1984 Tigers said…
Don't ever remember the tennis star cards any time in the 80s. Happily bought the packs of 81 donruss golf and filled a set that I still have.

My mid 70s wacky packs ended up on posterboards that ended up by the curb someday later.

By the resurgence in 79 and 80s had moved on but did get some packs in topps fun packs of those years along with empire strikes back in topps fun packs bags for about 30 to 40 dollars around 15 years ago. Opened some and kept some unopened. The topps gum for the 79 wacky packs caused some stains. Similar to the problem for some of the mid 80s topps fb and baseball.

Btw night owl, used some of my free walgreens bucks to buy a box with 8 packs of 2022 topps heritage high number baseball. Any good cards I can hope for?

Thanks
I was collecting Wacky packages before baseball cards. Those Marvel Heroes stickers too. I love me some stickers.
Angus said…
Was disappointed to read there was no Sabatini in the set. I would have had to have to find a copy if there had been.

I like the Noah insert.
night owl said…
@ 1984 Tigers ~

I'm not much of an expert on "good cards" in current sets anymore, but I believe the Julio Rodriguez and Bobby Witt Jr. rookies are the big cards in '22 Heritage High Numbers. There are a couple of other neat rookies since the set was released like Bryce Elder and Alek Thomas.
Jon said…
I always have big plans for my blogs, but almost never end up getting to any of them. I envy those that do. And I'm sure it's just because tennis has never really been on my radar, but seeing a whole set devoted to tennis seems kind of weird.
Jafronius said…
Nice tennis set, that empty background is unfortunate though.