Skip to main content

C.A.: 1977 Topps "Dave Collins"

(Hello, after a couple days away, which usually means I've been out of town, but in this case it's because my city ran out of water due to a massive water main break and, yes, I do live in Watertown, and I've heard all of your "No Water Town" jokes. The lack of water wasn't nearly as taxing and time-consuming as the reaction to the lack of water. So, anyway, I'm back, a little scruffy, but ready to post again. It's time for Cardboard Appreciation. This is the 327th in a series).
 

Some time ago, probably more recently than I'm willing to admit because recent discoveries fall out of my head more and more quickly these days, I came across this card and found out for the first time that the photo is not Dave Collins.
 
I don't know why it took me so long to know that. I usually have every factoid about 1970s baseball cards on file in the noggin, ready to dispense at any moment. But the consensus is that the photo is actually of someone named Bob Jones.

I am not familiar with Bob Jones' baseball career, but I do know him as one of the great gappers on baseball cards. He appeared on cards briefly in the late 1970s and then did not show up again until 1984.


That's his 1985 Topps card, eight years after he appeared as Dave Collins in 1977. They do look like the same guy, just with different haircuts.

But the thing that threw me briefly about the Collins photo being Jones is that Jones has his own card in the 1977 set.


Obviously some time has passed between the two pictures and Jones had made some style changes. I've known the Collins card a lot longer than the Jones card (I never pulled Jones back in 1977) and knew his hat was airbrushed into a Mariners hat. But I never figured out the jacket. Now that I'm looking a little closer at the card, that could be some sort of Angels logo on the back of the jacket.

So that's about all there is to this post -- a recent discovery that I should have known a long time ago.

But it gave the excuse to pull out my Dave Collins cards. His career lasted almost all through the 1980s and he had a lot of looks over that time.


There is his rookie card. Yeah, that doesn't look like Bob Jones. I guess all it took to confuse a photographer/Topps editor at the time was large glasses.
 


Had I owned the 1977 O-Pee-Chee card of Collins back then, I would have already figured out the Topps mistake. It's pretty obvious those aren't the same guy.
 


But then you look at the 1978 Topps card -- Topps got the right guy this time -- and maybe you could think it was the same guy on each card.
 


Collins came to the Reds in 1978, which meant removing all of his facial hair. He'd remain clean-shaven for most of the rest of his career. After the Reds, he went to the Yankees, another team that had an unhealthy fear of facial hair. By the time he left the Yankees maybe he forgot how to grow a mustache.

The arrival of the 1980s meant lots of action photos for Collins. I think he has some pretty decent ones. He was termed "the fastest white guy in baseball" so these are appropriate. He once hit 15 triples in a season.


I really like the composition of the 1982 card, with his signature written over the stands as he's bolting out of the box. '82 Topps could get it right sometimes.
 


Collins went without glasses for a few years between 1978-80 but they were back in FORCE by 1981. He really seemed to have a lot of looks, almost like a different person every year, so those card editors had to be on their toes. They didn't want to repeat that 1977 mistake!
 


His later years cards are pretty static compared to what came before in the '80s. I do like that 1986 dugout shot.

So, there you are, a little card retrospective on Dave Collins, one of those names that was pretty much household in the 1980s but totally ignored today.

As for Bob Jones, well, I don't remember him at all. But I do know that he's on two cards in the 1977 Topps set now.

Comments

I appreciate these cards. Thank you.
carlsonjok said…
I wish I had known about the water main break. I sent you something earlier this week and I sent it to *Water*town. Had I known I would have addressed it to *Nowater*town.

I am here all week. Try the veal and be sure to tip your server.
Matthew Glidden said…
Great coverage and hard to believe I missed that after all these years collecting Mariners cards. Should’ve paid more attention to the OPC sets!
Nick said…
The '70s seemed to have an inordinate amount of ballplayers who don't look like ballplayers. Dave Collins looks like he'd do your taxes.
bryan was here said…
Funny thing is, Bobby Jones does look like Dave Collins on his '77 Topps card.

I didn't realize Dave Collins played until 1990 with the Cardinals. He's in their Topps TV team set along with Terry Francona! As for the gap in Bobby Jones' career, he spent a few years in Mexico and Japan between his Angels and Rangers stays.
POISON75 said…
Dave was 1 of the nicest guys to sign for me. I got his Autograph in 1988 at 3 Rivers in Pittsburgh after watching the Reds beat the Pirate while everyone clamoring over to get Mike LaVairre I was the only one who recognized Dave we discussed which league he preferred he said preferred the National League but his favorite park on than Riverfront was Tigers Stadium. Funny thing his 1986 Topps & Traded along w/1987 shows him at Tigers Stadium & he said he preferred Marge Schott as his favorite owner next to Danny Kaye who owned the Mariners when played for them
Another thing Dave owns a copy of a radio call from legendary announcer Ernie Harwell from 1976 when Ernie made his only Faux Paux when he called an Angels Tiger game back in 1976 Collins was on 3rd & stole home & Ernie's call said he was safe but catcher Bill Freehan was storming mad at the call & he was beating his meat
....uh...mitt at the umpire years later Dave still gets a chuckle when he hears that call.
John Bateman said…
David Collins was part American Indian and he was really fast.

I don't know who is who - the guy on the Bob Jones card does not look like the guy on the Dave Collins card in 1977

Around this time there was a Bobby Jones in the NBA, A Bobby Jones who played for the Jets and the MLB Bobby Jones
Fleerfan said…
Besides being a gapper, Bob Jones other claim to fame is that he is on the 1977 Topps wax box. The photo on the box is of an Angels player with glasses wearing # 18, just as he's wearing on the card you posted.
jacobmrley said…
OOoooo I never noticed the doughnut on the 86 Collins, I will have to add it to my collection.
1984 Tigers said…
I do remember Bob Jones playing against my Tigers in the mid 80s. He was a lefty power threat. I didn't even realize he played for the Angels in the mid 70s until I was upgrading my 77 set and saw his card. Turns out he was drafted by Wash Senators and then spent 1.5 years in combat in Vietnam where he lost hearing in one ear. Actually started and ended his career with Rangers.

As for Collins, his two photos in Tigers Stadium were probably taken on the same day, one shot for the 86 traded and the other for his 87 set. This was a time when the Tigers farm system was drying up and we went after guys nearing the end of their career like Collins, Lloyd Moseby, Dwayne Murphy, etc. The Tigers played at home vs the As memorial day weekend 1986. A lot of photos appear to have been taken at that series and showed up either in 86 traded or 87 topps. One reason a photographer may have been there is Tom Selleck Magnum PI guy and Tigers fan was in town and got to take pregame morning BP with the Tigers. It's on YouTube.
Jon said…
I always like finding out about the cards that feature the wrong player. I wonder how many people have a mini-collection going for this sort of thing?
Jafronius said…
Fun post...thanks for the research!