Skip to main content

Cardboard appreciation: 2009 Topps Allen & Ginter Casey Blake

(Don't you love it when you go through the effort of writing/researching a post and it becomes obsolete by the time you've written it? *Sigh* Here is what I wrote instead. It's time for Cardboard Appreciation. This is the 68th in a series):

I ordered my box of 2010 Allen & Ginter yesterday. After all, I am attempting to defend my also-ran status in Gint-a-Cuffs.

(Sorry, Mark, I didn't order through the special Blowout Cards deal. I can afford only one box at this time).

I cannot wait for it to arrive at my home. Everytime I think about it, I get giddy. And I can't wait to bore the entire card collecting community with my Ginter cards.

I know some collectors are tired of the Ginter experience. Some never liked it in the first place. I am about as opposite of those collectors as you can get. This is only year No. 5 of Allen & Ginter, you know. I have shirts older than Topps A&G. I'm not tired of those shirts either.

Ginter remains the highlight of the collecting season for me. It is better than when the first cards come out in January/February.

To me, it is the set that includes the most thought, the most innovation, the most humor out of the entire collecting season. If I was a card series producer, I would like to think that this is the kind of set I'd produce.

I love the look of the cards. I love the feel of the cards. To me, the look of the cards gets better each year. No, I am not bored by the look. It has improved and become more colorful over the years. I don't mind the celebrities and landmarks and animals in the set either. It's true to the original Allen & Ginter cards from the 1880s, and it lends a quirkiness to the set that I absolutely love. The set has character. It has charm.

The non-baseball player cards are some of my favorite cards in the set, and I think a lot of A&G collectors would say the same thing.

So, yeah -- hell, yeah -- I still enjoy the set and I'm still glad it's being produced. And I'm not going to apologize for featuring the cards all over my blog until you want to claw your eyes out. Claw away. They're your eyes.

Bring on the Ginter. It's fun for everyone. Really. Let yourself have fun.


Comments

Joe S. said…
Research is for chumps.
Anonymous said…
I ordered mine for GAC2 as well. I can't wait. I bust a box or two of this every year. To -me- it's the flagship release.
madding said…
What were you originally going to write? I'm more interested in finishing off the 2008 set and acquiring cards from the first two sets at my leisure, but I'm sure I'll get sucked in anyway. It happened with Heritage, after all.
night owl said…
It was Strasburg-Topps Series 2 short-print related. It still may appear, if I can clear up a couple things.