Skip to main content

While I wait for the cash to roll in, how about some cereal?


All right, you panicky people, did you think I'd go and do something foolish and use this card for a coaster?

Of course I was going to sell it. I just needed a few moments to stop the vibrations in my head. I literally had butterflies when I wrote the last post. It reminded me of when I was 9 and pulled a 1975 Johnny Bench card out of a pack and immediately freaked because I thought a gust of wind would sweep it out of my undeserving hands forever.

But a '75 Bench card isn't going to fetch $150, which is exactly what I hope this card produces. The ebay listing is up in all its glory. Thanks to everyone who offered to help with the sale since I am a newbie when it comes to ebay selling. I decided to let Rob of Voice of the Collector handle it. I've known him since the beginnings of my blog, and he's always been pleasant and helpful in my communications with him.

Thanks for your advice and your compliments. It's really some kind of pull for someone on my budget who lives where I do. And I'm glad I could share it with somebody. My wife, in her wonderful way, really tried to understand. My daughter rolled her eyes about 46 times. So, you folks come in handy.

Anyway, that is where I stand. Meanwhile, you're waiting for some entertainment. So how about I open my Topps Series 2 cereal box that I bought with the Bowman blaster? I know lots of people have seen Series 2 already (hint: it looks a lot like Series 1).  But I always have to show it on my blog, too. You know, to make it O-fish-ee-al.

I would show the box, but it's already in the garbage, under some discarded food items. Scanning it would be most unpleasant, both for you and me. So, believe me when I say that when I was at Wal-Mart, I pushed aside the Mickey Mantle boxes (so sick of the Mick) to grab the Babe Ruth box.

Here is the rest of it:


1. #645 - Texas Rangers (first card of Series 2. Rather dull).

2. #527 - Brandon Wood, Angels
3. #388 - Joel Piniero, Angels
4. #505 - Andy Marte, Indians


5. #586 - Roy Oswalt, Astros


6. #423 - Brad Bergesen, Orioles (you can't see it on the scan, but the Topps logo is messed up. It looks like the foil was stamped on the card twice, and one of those times it was stamped upside-down).

7. #402 - J.P. Howell, Rays
8. #347 - Aaron Harang, Reds
9. #626 - Glen Perkins, Twins


10. #465 - Chien-Ming Wang, Nationals (still hasn't pitched for the Nationals, so that is a make-believe photo)


11. #378 - George Sherrill, Dodgers (first Dodger, but I received this card in the mail from Marie of A Cardboard Problem earlier in the day).

12. #490 - Michael Bourn, Astros
13. #596 - Brendan Ryan, Cardinals


14. #358 - Mark Buehrle, White Sox

15. #439 - Emilio Bonifacio, Marlins
16. #526 - Carlos Guillen, Tigers
17. #504 - Jeff Mathis, Angels


18. #648 - Brian Fuentes, Angels (I might as well show an Angel. I pulled five of them in this box).

19. #534 - Hideki Okajima, Red Sox
20. #461 - Tyson Ross, Athletics


21. #392 - Carlos Monasterios, Dodgers (Um, guess another card that I received in the mail from Marie. Yup).


22. #637 - Prestigious Pinstripe Power (Is Gehrig wearing a Members Only jacket?)

23. #502 - Jhoulys Chacin, Rockies
24. #646 - Trevor Crowe, Indians


Here come the inserts!


25. #CMT95 - Darryl Strawberry, Mets - Card Your Mom Threw Out (I wish my mom threw out some of my 1988 Darryl Strawberrys)


26. #VLC13 - Eddie Murray, Orioles, Vintage Legends (this card is drastically miscut)



27. #HWS13 - Yogi Berra, Yankees, History of the World Series (this could have been a decent insert set. But Topps made it pretty damn dull)



28. #40 - Ozzie Smith, Cardinals, Card Your Mom Threw Out (this is the original back -- meaning it looks exactly like a 1993 card. Ooh, pinch me).


29. #TR92 George Sisler, Browns, Turkey Red

30. #LL-36, Andre Dawson-Alfonso Soriano, Cubs, Legendary Lineage
31. #PP-96, Dan Haren, Diamondbacks, Peak Performance


32. Matt Kemp, Dodgers Topps Attax code card. (Go nuts with the code. I'm just glad it's a Dodger I didn't have.)

33. #536 - Matt Palmer, Angels
34. #620 - Geovany Soto, Cubs


35. #404 - Mariano Rivera, Yankees (wearing Jackie's number)

36. #446 - Gavin Floyd, White Sox
37. #336 - C.J. Wilson, Rangers
38. #653 - Nolan Reimold, Orioles
39. #644 - David Purcey, Blue Jays
40. #630 - Ben Francisco, Phillies


41. #568 - Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Rangers (That photo is too funny).

42. #488 - Delwyn Young, Pirates


43. #417 - Dallas Braden, Athletics (in your best Harrison Ford voice, say: "GET OFF MY MOUND")

44. #373 - Clint Barmes, Rockies


45. #639 - Los Angeles Dodgers (heh, guess which card Marie sent?)

46. #542 - Heath Bell, Padres


47. #331 - Ryan Braun, Brewers (I'm distracted by both the orange visage and Braun's contorted left foot. Is that thing dislocated?)


48. #602 - Franchise History, Royals (Awesome!)


49. #339. - Jose Reyes, Mets (I think we have a candidate for best card of the year)

50. #381 - Miguel Montero, Diamondbacks


51. #555 - B.J. Upton, Rays

52. #629 - Oliver Perez, Mets
53. #399 - Matt Garza, Rays

Aside from the Million Card Giveaway card (the code has already been sent to Steve E.), that's all that was in the box o' cereal. That and a rectangular piece of styrofoam.

Oh, except for this:


He found a way to get me anyway. He always does.


Comments

Matt Runyon said…
No Giants??? man--bummer of a box ;)
The thing I love about the Reyes card is the homeplate umpire calling him safe at third. Has that ever been on a card before? I thought your first series 2 card was great...except the crap stain on Ian's pants.
madding said…
Finally found Series 2 and bought a cereal box tonight... and a blaster... and loose packs. Yikes.
Ryan H said…
I wonder if the Murray throwback card is supposed to be miscut because I got the same card in the same shape. Good luck with your Purple Refractor Strasburg. Mine went up for sale last night.
deal said…
Is the Gehrig Ruth card a Short Print.

I generally enjoy the in action shots, but Too many of the pitcher cards are taken from the same angle. reminds me of 2010 UD.

Maybe all the portrait shots have been saved for Topps other products like A&G and Heritage.
SpastikMooss said…
Good luck with the sale!

And man, that Braun is ridiculous. Very crazy card.
Community Gum said…
We, like Ryan, had the same miscut problem with the Murray insert. Maybe that's just how it is.

But...we did get a bunch of base cards that were terribly miscut as well, so tough to say.
--Jon