Skip to main content

The 1975 Topps countdown, worst to best (No. 500-481)

 
With me pursuing the 2023 Topps Heritage set with an effort that I haven't put into a Heritage set since 2008, I think it's safe to say that I'll be all in for 2024 Heritage.

No, duh, you say. But I wasn't so sure the last few years. The short-print situation with Heritage is a major drawback and I don't like negative things floating around my beloved 1975 Topps design, which will be appearing next year.

But my reaction to the '74 design this year was kind of unexpected. I didn't think I'd be into it that much judging by my lack of interest in 2021 and 2022 Heritage (the '72 and '73 designs, respectively). But I am. And if I am with this, watch out with that.

Of course, I could crash and burn on the high numbers this year and the whole experience spoil everything for next year. Anything is possible.

What will never ebb or flow is my passion for the actual 1975 Topps set. It will always be the love of my cardboard life. I will never grow tired of it and it's long past the ability to disappoint.

So let's get to more celebration of the '75 set with the latest edition of the countdown. We're about to enter the 400s. Let's goooo!

500. Pedro Garcia (card 147)

Who is this guy? What is he doing? That was my reaction when I was trying to complete this set in 2004 and this card I had never seen before popped up. I still don't understand the pose. I suppose he's in fielding position? Looks pretty rigid there. But he did catch the dotted 'i' in his name.



499. Vicente Romo (card 274)

A similarly odd pose. I guess he's following through on his pitch. It's a weird spot, any batter is going to blast that into the dugout and then there's going to be trouble.



498. Twins team (card 443)

A neat-and-tidy team photo and nice-and-close, too. If I can spot Larry Hisle, that's doing it right.



497. Expos team card (card 101)

Maybe not as clear as the Twins card, but I miss the Expos.



496. Tigers team (card 18)

The Tigers are on the verge of tough times here, 1975 would be a disaster. Look, a couple of players in the second row are discussing jumping ship.
 


495. Astros team (card 487)

Here is the last look at the Astros' shooting star uniforms before they'd switch to the famed Tequila Sunrise rainbow specials. Everyone seems pretty happy in the picture, which is a bonus.
 
 

494. Dan Driessen (card 133)
 
The third of four Reds cards with the pleasing red-yellow border but somewhat diminished by the player staring -- or in this case, squinting -- off into space.
 
 

493. Fred Stanley (card 503)

Those 1970s signs in Yankee Stadium are a lot of fun in the backgrounds, it gives you something to look at because Chicken Stanley isn't doing much.
 
 

492. Jorge Orta (card 184)
 
You know I love helmet-wearers. Orta looks mildly inconvenienced.
 
 

491. Jerry Hairston (card 327)

Glasses and sideburns, what's not to like? Hairston gives off a bit of a dignified vibe and the border colors sort of match with his uniform.



490. Dave McNally (card 26)

Dave McNally's final card before he'd go down in free agency lore. The palm trees are nice (if flying a little crooked) but catching McNally in mid-sentence has bothered me.



489. Orioles team (card 117)

This is a power-packed team photo. Robinson, Powell, Grich, Baylor, Blair, and Palmer, Cuellar and McNally on the mound. The bonus, though, is longtime trainer Ralph Salvon at right.



488. Ed Halicki (card 467)

Halicki is showcasing the long hair and mustache that I loved so much at the time, but he's not really owning it. An underwhelming card for me.



487. Bob Robertson (card 409)

Robertson's face is a lot more visible here than when you're viewing the card in hand. The shadow really diminishes what you can see. In fact, as a kid, I thought Robertson had plastic hair, like a Fisher Price toy, but seeing the photo here I realize that's just Robertson's cap under his helmet.



486. Harry Parker (card 214)

The Mets are treated very well in this set -- at least I knew that I liked the Mets cards a lot in 1975. But Parker's card is not one of the better ones. It's probably just because I didn't know who he was when I acquired this card.



485. Reds team (card 531)

OK, this team has even more star power. The Big Red Machine was on the verge of switching into another gear as this card arrived.
 
 

484. Jerry Moses (card 271)

I'm very much a fan of fake-bat-swinging photos. There is just not much to comment on here. Outstanding signature though.



483. Ken Reitz (card 27)

I no doubt would have loved this card much more if I could have seen his face better. It's odd how this bothered me sometimes and other times not at all (there is one significant Shadow Face that won't appear for a long, long time).



482. Buddy Bradford (card 504)

Buddy just looks like a tough guy here. 



481. Leading Firemen - 1974 (card 313)

The first leaders card to show up in the countdown and easily the leaders card you could find for the cheapest price. This card stands out as Marshall is not posed because he and Topps were going at it.

And we'll stop it right here.

See you on the countdown in a couple weeks.

------------------------------------------------------------

RIP to a True Legend Of Cardboard. Farewell, Alex Cole.

Comments

Bo said…
RIP Cole.

Lots of good backgrounds here. Any Yankee Stadium shot is a year out of date, the Yankees played at Shea in '74.

Looks like Romo is the QB in shotgun formation.
Kind of liking that Bob Robertson card.
Chris said…
Lots of team cards and White Sox in this one. I really like that Twins team card, it is very tidy. The Orioles one is nice too.

Jerry Moses might be my favorite single-player card in this post. Bradford and Parker aren't bad though. That said, the sloping field can be so disorienting and I know it's even more prominent in the '76 set.

I was wondering why a 1993 card popped up here. :( Learned an impressive stat in the article you linked: Alex Cole stole 40 bases as a rookie - in 63 games. farewell to a cardboard legend.
sg488 said…
Concerning Moses ,I always liked a card when you can tell what stadium that they are in ,Oakland A's stadium looks good.
Brett Alan said…
Yeah, I was looking up my Alex Cole cards this afternoon, and he has some nice ones. 1992 Donruss and 1994 Score are good ones, too.

Don't know how I didn't know this, but his 1991 Stadium Club card is actually a picture of Otis Nixon, which Topps somehow did despite the fact that Cole was on Cleveland and Nixon was obviously wearing an Atlanta cap. Is this not as famous as it should be, or am I clueless?
night owl said…
It's fairly well-known. Maybe not as repeated as some of the other card errors.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Oh nice. That McNally was one of the first cards I acquired upon rejoining the hobby 6 years ago.

Interesting for me to think about how my reincorporation into collecting is fast approaching the same length of time as my original childhood collecting spell.
Michael D said…
The Romo card is funny. If it's his follow through it's a bad one!
Old Cards said…
Some good-looking portrait shots with uniforms matching the borders nicely! More team cards out of the way in the countdown. Yay!
Doc Samson said…
I was a very young lad, I remember Jorge Orta when he played for the White Sox. I thought he had the coolest name. And of course, he would achieve baseball immortality for being called safe when he was clearly out in a certain World Series elimination game.
Nick said…
Is Harry Parker warming up on a football field? Looks like he's standing at the five-yard line.
1984 Tigers said…
Just love that reds card. Look at front row left side. Rose on the end, next to Morgan, next to Concepcion. Perez in the back row. What an infield. Have to look at my own card to figure out where Bench is on the photo. Plus nice photo of Sparky.

As for Tigers, 75 was a dreadful year. Lost 102 games after winning division 3 years earlier. 19 game losing streak too. The good news is that scouting department was top notch. Starting in 74 thru 79, they drafted Morris, Trammell, Whitaker, Gibson, Parrish, Petry, Kemp, Fidrych, Brookens, etc. Other than The Bird, that was a big group of starters for 84 champs. Kemp was traded for Chet Lemon. Also thru 80 they had drafted Glenn Wilson who was part of the trade for Willie Hernandez in spring training 84. Also howard Johnson too.

Keep em coming on for the 75 set. Just love the backs too. From 73 thru 85, I believe this was the only topps set with colored borders. Every other set was white borders until half white half black in 86 and wood grain in 87.

Paul t