Skip to main content

C.A.: 1951 Bowman Charlie Dressen

 (I often wish I could write two posts a day again. It's not that I think I was efficient throwing out multiple posts for already-busy people to read, but I just like the idea of having the time to do it. Apparently I used to. Time for a quick post, which means Cardboard Appreciation. This is the 323rd in a series):


This card has popped up a couple of times lately on that social media site that has progressively grown ickier.

It's a known favorite and a favorite of mine, one of the best manager cards in my collection, probably in the top five with the 1965 Topps Casey Stengel and the 1988 Topps Tom Lasorda and a couple of others.

I like 1951 Bowman, probably even a little more than the '52 Bowmans. The two sets look alike except that the '51s have a name identifier, which I appreciate. I've gotten used to cards with zero words on the front -- stuff like '53 Bowman and '76 SSPC -- but I had a bias against wordless cards quite awhile ago and I don't think that's ever gone away. You know, I'm a word guy.

The Dressen card has the extra bonus wording with the chalkboard drawing in the picture. That, essentially is what makes the card unique. How often have you seen a manager pointing to a lineup on a chalkboard?

Generally, how often have you seen printing on a baseball card picture? I couldn't come up with other examples. If I had the time I used to, I'd do a bunch of research and maybe I'll get back to you on that someday. I'm not referring to things like signs on cards -- I can think of a few of those -- I mean actual writing in the picture/photograph.
 
The Dressen example is extra fun because it offers information, about the players available for either that day or for the roster in general. At first I thought it was the lineup for the day, but there appears to be two left fielders listed, so I don't think that's it.
 
The first player listed is Don Thompson, one of those Brooklyn Dodgers who somehow escaped being noted by future historians. His most active years for Brooklyn were 1951 (80 games) and 1953 (96 games).
 
The guys who follow are pretty well-known, Carl Furillo, Duke Snider, Cal Abrams, Jackie Robinson and I can spot first baseman Gil Hodges hiding behind Dressen's arm.

Over where Dressen is pointing is the pitchers list. Don Newcombe's at the top and Clem Labine at the bottom. I'm less certain about the other names, although I think the second name on the list is Earl Mosser, which is fun -- his whole MLB career was three games for the Dodgers. This makes me think that this is a picture from spring training.


This card is also one of my favorite kind of cards, one that arrives at the beginning of an epic-and-well-chronicled time. All that we know about Dressen -- the Boys Of Summer, the "Giants Is Dead", all that -- is yet to come.
 
The '51 Bowman team set is halfway finished in my collection. It's one of those sets where I get in a yank about every once in awhile and add two or three at a card show. I usually never seek them out online. But I should start doing that.

Comments

NOT IF I BEAT YOU TO IT, Just kidding. I can't remember when I added the last 51' Bowman card to my set build. See what you've done. Now I have to go check my Bowman lists and see how they are looking.
Bo said…
Never seen that card before. It's a really nice one.

Dodgers have probably had the best run of manager cards of any team.
Michael D said…
I like looking at those cards, but don't own any. I'm OCD enough that I'd have to have the whole set and I know that's not going to happen so I just don't go there. I do like the cards though.
1984 Tigers said…
Night owl,

You have one of the high numbers and a card I had never seen before. I forgot about this set that I spent a lot of time but not TOO much cash on because I found dealers who would sell to me in blocks of 10 to 20. These were mostly obtained in the mid to late 90s and in vgex to exmt condition. Married pre kids days. I was shocked to find I have over 250 of the 324 of the set. Not the big boys like Ford, Mantle, Mays, etc. But a fair run of the (now) pricey highs. Also, have some of the stars or name guys: campy, Spahn, Kell, furillo, branch, Erskine, Ashburn, dickey, etc. I'm shocked to see the commons at 25 bucks high beckett 1 to 252. Highs are 80 bucks 253 to 324. I do remember late 90s one of my regular "pushers" (my habit was cards not drugs, but was definitely an addict to cardboard) bought a large lot and sold me all of his highs commons for 10 bucks each. Plus other stars like Erskine and dickey for about 20. No chance I'm going to try to fill this set with the prices these days! Set books at 100k high beckett. Wow!!!!!

Paul t
1984 Tigers said…
Night owl,

That dressen card was probably from a photo they had of him in spring training 51. He was Oakland PCL manager in 50. His card was probably issued in late July or August as part of the 72 card Hi series.

Some of my 51s have what I guess is a wax stain either at the top or bottom (sometimes both). Your dressen looks like it had a fainter stain on the bottom. Do you see this trend with some of your 51s too?

Paul t
1984 Tigers said…
One strange fact about that 51B set. It doesn't have a Jackie R card at all. He completely skipped the 51 sets except one of this rare topps team cards. His 50B and 52T are insanely expensive. The set does have the true rookie of Ford, Mantle, Mays, Fox, etc.
Fuji said…
No on social media very often... so I missed out on seeing this card until this post. I definitely appreciate it. Very attractive card... with that stellar lineup in the back. And I'm with you... on liking the 1951 Bowman design more than the 1952.
Jon said…
I hadn't seen this card before, but I can see why it would be so popular.