Skip to main content

Grudging respect for 1993 Topps

 
 
This is kind of a spin-off post from yesterday.

Of all of this year's Topps anniversary sets -- 1953, 1963, 1973, 1983, 1993, 2003 and 2013 -- the one that I pay almost no mind is 1993. You will find odes, or at least solid mentions, on this blog for every other Topps set with an anniversary this year.

But '93 Topps arrived at an unfortunate time in my collecting history.

Let's review quickly:

The first cards I owned were from a cello pack of 1974 Topps in '74. The first cards I bought and collected were packs of '75 Topps. I continued the '75 pattern all the way through 1983, even trying to operate in the same manner when Donruss and Fleer arrived in 1981. In 1984, my first full year in college, I knew I had no more time for this method and bought complete Topps sets in '84 and then in 1985. By 1986, I had moved away and also moved away from cards, buying almost nothing in 1986, 1987 and 1988. Post-graduation, I returned in force to Topps cards (and only Topps cards) in 1989. Moving away again, I did virtually nothing with cards in 1990 then jumped in with both feet for 1991 and 1992.

And here we are in 1993.

For an in-depth review of the '93 card scene by me, check this out, I won't repeat myself much here except to say that I found 1993 Topps so underwhelming that the mystique that Topps held for me for 19 years -- yes, even during those college years when I didn't collect -- had vanished. I didn't feel it anymore. It was like a long relationship where you know you've made the right decision to break up. I just didn't feel anything anymore.

I wasn't impressed with the '93 Topps design. The photo corners and the color combos used turned me off. The photo presentation is very good in this set, but I didn't notice that much because I had fallen completely in love with '93 Upper Deck that year and, wow, UD could do photo presentation like no other at that time.

Even today -- 30 years after 1993 cards were released -- I'm operating a 1993 Upper Deck blog, but where is that '93 Topps blog? (There is one, but it hasn't been updated for quite awhile).

So this is a short post to show grudging respect for 1993 Topps, on its anniversary.


These are all notable 1993 Topps cards that I've shown at one point or another on this blog. Several are card-collector favorites in general and have been shown over and over on various baseball card sites. 1993 Topps does have that kind of power.

This is my favorite Dodger card from the 1993 Topps set. It shows off the interesting photography that may not be as frequent as in '93 Upper Deck but it is there.
 


Here are some 1993 Topps cards in my collection that I like that I probably haven't shown before. I have just 278 cards from the giant 825-card set and almost all of them were bought opening underwhelming packs in '93. Maybe a handful are from repacks or something similar.

Since this is the first set that didn't possess that Topps magic for me, I don't see myself ever trying to complete it. It's interesting the vast gulf there is for me between 1992 and 1993 Topps. I'll own that '92 Topps set someday soon and will enjoy it. But starting in '93, I have zero inspiration, and that runs through the rest of the decade for Topps flagship.
 
1993 Topps is known for a few things, it contains Derek Jeter's rookie card, it features the Marlins and Rockies for the first time. But those aren't unique to Topps. What is are these things:


Everyone had gone insert crazy by 1993 and these Black Golds certainly helped. I'm not a big '90s insert guy but I do find a few of them attractive. This is probably the best early '90s one for me (It blows away those Fleer Pro Visions cards that everyone raves about that don't do it for me).

But I won't try to complete this either. I rarely attempt to complete insert sets.

So that's all I have to say for 1993 Topps, 30 years later. Just one blog post, rather than the 800-plus that I'm supposedly writing for '93 Upper Deck.

I get why some people like this set. It just came along at the wrong time.

Comments

1984 Tigers said…
After splurging on 91 cards, including pricey and ill-timed purchases of both Leaf series 1 and 2 boxes, decided to focus on building sets from the "easier" years of the 60s (64 and 65) rather than new cards when spring 92 rolled around.

Chose to buy only UD in 92. Made progress on the mid 60s with money I would have been blowing on 92 topps gold and signed Brien Taylor card.

By 93, was getting married to a wonderful gal whose been in my life 33.5 years. Bought a few scattered packs of 93T. Forgot that I did till you showed these today. Expanded into 62 topps will some big buys that spring.

Night owl, one of my big buys in spring 92 was with about 1K to buy a huge lot of 64 and 65, including that cool leader card with Koufax and Drysdale only (I think 65 leaders). Not sure if you ever got that card but it's right up your alley.

Pault
night owl said…
Yup, I've got that '65 leaders card, a couple of them. Have written about it a few times.
Jeremya1um said…
I loved the 1993 design, and with the prospects cards and the expansion cards I just feel in love with the set. I probably have the rest of what you need for the set with all of my doubles from the set, so hit me up when you change your mind on it.
dayf said…
Topps had one other thing in 1993 Upper Deck didn't have: a 20 dollar clearance bundle of a series 1 and 2 box at K-Mart.
Man, those were the days
Chris said…
This was the last Topps set I was really excited to collect until about 2011. Great memories of opening wax and jumbo packs in the car or at a friend's house, hunting those golds, and eventually receiving a factory set as a Christmas gift (which I still have)

The design isn't spectacular but it's efficient, and the colors/texture are so different from every Topps set that preceded it. So it was kind of groundbreaking in a way, the beginning of the New-modern Topps era (and it's obsession with white borders)
Nick Vossbrink said…
This was the last Topps set I collected as a kid. Took a ton of them to 1994 Spring Training to get signed. I'm not the hugest fan of the design but it's mostly unobtrusive and stays out of the way of the photos (many of which are very nice). It's biggest problem is just that by 1993 there were a ton of choices for cards and in that mix it just didn't stand out as anything distinct (this is true of all the non-Upper Deck base flagship sets that year).
GCA said…
Wasn't collecting in the early 90's, but I do have a set - had to go verify that fact just now. Early 90's Topps are just unremarkable, as is most everything else from then.

I've probably got enough extras to get you close in one shot except for the stars......
Zach said…
While I certainly did not have a begrudging dislike of 93 Topps, I'll agree that it's Upper Deck counterpart has and will always be my favorite. In fact, I have always loved the photo presentation of Upper Deck far more than Topps, and I truly miss having Upper Deck making baseball cards. As far as Topps cards from the 90s, my least favorite are 1996-1998.
Bo said…
Like some of the other commenters, 1993 was the last year I collected cards until I got back into it years later. I really liked the 1993 set, it seemed so much more advanced than anything Topps had done, while still feeling uniquely Topps and not like Upper Deck. Upper Deck had unbeatable photos but you could still learn more about the player from Topps. I liked it a lot more than the 1992 set which still felt a little goofy to me, especially with the oddly elongated stadium photos on the backs.
Doc Samson said…
To me, ‘93 Topps is a frustrating set. I appreciate the much improved photography and card stock. Not saying this set is better than ‘93 Upper Deck, but at least the player’s name is easier to read than UD’s metallic ink handwriting (also thought that was the only chink in the armor for ‘93 UD.)

I believe that ‘93 Topps needed one more design aspect to make it truly special, think ‘76 Topps’ player icon or something like that.
Matt said…
1993 Topps is the Tim Raines to 1993 Upper Deck's Rickey Henderson.
Anonymous said…
Looks like the ump smacked off Scioscia's helmet with his mask.
Fuji said…
The LCS near my house that I worked at closed down in 1992... so in 1993 I took a break from collecting. Don't think I've opened any packs of 1993 Topps baseball, but 19 years later I bought a factory set at the flea market.

Love the selection of cards you chose for highlighting this set. It might not be as solid as the Upper Deck set from that year... but there are some fantastic photos in it.
Jon said…
I can remember if I ever collected this one or not. I'm basically indifferent to the design these days. I guess I'd say that it's on par with 92's design, but far superior to 94's.