Skip to main content

A simple tale of set completion ... and overcompletion

Still running on fumes here. But I need to get to a couple of team set completions that have been complete for, oh, a couple of weeks now.
 
A little bit ago I received a bunch of Topps Series 2 Dodgers from gcrl, very helpful, because it kept me from doing dumb stuff, like buying Series 2.
 
One card, though, was not included and I needed it to finish the full 2023 team set (inserts, etc., excluded of course).
 
Mike of Dillard's Dugout stepped up and said he had the card for me and sent it in prompt fashion. Sorry it's taken me so long. He was probably wondering if the mail ate it.
 

There it is. All intact and no snack bites. It's been sitting on my rolltop desk through a couple of family excursions and a few day trips. Just waiting. Like a good boy.

So, thanks, Mike, for completing my Topps team set. I'd show all the cards from the team set here now but why do that when I can go to work for 10 hours!

This card was under wraps for so long I ended up receiving a second one just yesterday. Johnny's Trading Spot sent my latest winnings (It might be my final winnings as the giveaways are winding down). 
 
And there was another Outman.


I guess that's known as "overcompletion" but it's no biggie. I'll throw the extra into the Series 2 set that I'm not trying to complete.
 
There were other cards from Johnny, some I actually needed:
 

Leonard was just traded to the Tigers earlier this week. I don't need the Vargas pair (I think Johnny sent me both before), but the goldies are very nice.
 
So that's pleasant to get the team set out of the way. I've completed the team set every year (except for my hobby break) since 1976 (in '75 I don't think I knew what a team set was). And you know that I will be selecting my favorite card out of the set in the near future.
 
I actually completed another team set around the same time. 
 

I ordered the last SP I needed to finish the 2023 Heritage team set. Heritage was nice to Dodgers collectors this year and gave them just two short-prints. A couple of other teams were brow-beaten with SPs. The White Sox, my goodness.
 
So, with Buehler's addition, the team set is complete in much earlier fashion than some years. I do still need the Mookie Betts/Byron Buxton leaders card but that's not going to keep me up nights (Needing two of that card might though).
 
Before the Buehler arrived I ordered another Heritage box with a birthday gift card.
 
And what may appear out of that?
 

Yes, of course. Another Buehler.

Fortunately, I'm supposedly trying to complete the whole set this year (we'll see when I give up on that) so I need a second card and it saves me from doing stupid things like contacting the ebay seller and pretending my dog accidentally hit the purchase button.


Also I got this card in the box, which is absolutely a Dodger card and for sure going into the Dodger binder just as soon as I can get back to doing card things.

So, yeah, set overcompletion goes hand-in-hand with set completion. Nothing worth getting worked up over.
 
It just means nice people send you cards. And nice people send you gift cards. And Topps' collation sucks. ... OK, maybe that's worth getting worked up over.

Comments

Technically that Topps Outman was supposed have been in that big box I sent you but I found it off to the side of where I was stacking your cards.
Fuji said…
You sure beat the odds with pulling that Buehler. I feel like I've bought a card and pulled it shortly afterwards myself. Two is better than none, right?
And that scoreboard background behind Aaron and Lopes is fantastic.
1984 Tigers said…
Great to see Davey Lopes, looking like he was about to swat Hammerin Hank on the back side with his glove to celebrate 715. Remember watching that on TV when the other show cut over to the game when Number 44 was up.

Paul t
Jon said…
Happy completed team sets!