Skip to main content

Small doings

 
Sometimes I think to myself "what's a little guy like you doing big things like that?"

I've always been a little guy. I'm sure I've mentioned this before but when teachers used to line up kids by height in the 1970s, when we were traveling to the cafeteria or gym or wherever, the small guys went in the back. I don't know why they put us in the back. Were there dragons in the hallways and they thought the tall kids could fight them better? I kind of liked being in the back.

I didn't grow a whole lot after that. And sometimes I'd fall into that trap of thinking that short guys can't do what tall guys do. There's always that reminder that some women automatically rule out dating any guy who is less than 5-10. And you're automatically disregarded in some sports if you're short. Or at least you have to prove yourself a lot more.

But I've done fairly well for a short guy. Got the family, the house, the position of responsibility and a couple of other things that a small, shy kid maybe the high school gym teacher didn't think I should be doing but there I am.

I've got a very large card collection, too. But it's often built by small purchases, a little at a time, from all different directions.


This is the definition of a small send. Just one card, but it sure was needed. This arrived from Mike of Dillard's Dugout. It's the second 2023 James Outman he's sent me!

I know you can't tell but this is the foil parallel. I still get annoyed that these are called "rainbow foil," I hardly ever see any rainbows come from these, but that's what happens when you have '90s kids working at Topps.
 


This was a small purchase from me. It's the most recent 1976 Ron Cey disc in my collection.

Although I'm a Western New York guy, I don't know Buckman's or the Ice Cream Village. Rochester is kind of a mystery to me as we Buffalo folks prefer our city and consider Rochester a tad snooty. Google Maps says that address is now an Orville's Home Appliances store.

So with this addition, these are the Cey '76 discs I have:

Buckman's
Chilly Willee
Crane Potato Chips
Dairy Isle
Isaly's/Sweet William
Orbaker's (we just ate there a couple weeks ago and didn't know they advertised on these)
 
This is what's left:
 
Carousel discs
Blank back
Red Barn (two versions)
Safelon Superstar Lunch Bags
Towne Club
 
Then I need to work on the 1977s. I know some of these are rare, but there's no rush.
 
 

This is definitely not small, but it is just one item!

I couldn't resist this entire complete Hostess box intact but now I don't know what to do with it. I don't collect the boxes, I do collect the panels and the individual cards and I definitely need that panel. It seems a shame to cut up the box, but also the box doesn't conveniently store.

Sometimes smaller is better.

 

Finally, I made another small purchase of cards from Trevor (@tec872) on Twitter. These are just my speed. The cards aren't BIG in any way -- a card-collecting slabber would recoil at the soft corners, and centering (let alone none of them being rookies or stars). But I think they're perfect additions in my small way.
 




 

These four 1969 needs also arrived with the 1967s. A great small lot. The Chico Cardenas is one of those '69 cards that I once owned and then foolishly traded away. There are still a pesky few more of those that I need to acquire.

The Salmon is another key Pilots card to add to the collection. It's notable because Salmon never played for the Pilots. He was drafted by Seattle but then traded to the Orioles before the 1969 season.

The Reggie Smith -- as you '69 fans know -- is one of the last cards in the set and the last of the Red Sox I needed!

Smith's 1969 card may have been positioned near the back of the line but we all know how important it is.

Comments

Bo said…
Check out #44 Hank Aaron in the background of Atlanta Aces.
1984 Tigers said…
Night owl,

Thankfully not scarred by being lined up by height. Started kind of small. Had a growth spell in 7th grade to get to 5 8. That made me center in 8th grade gym classes. Then grew a grand total of an inch to end up 5 9, so I know the 5 10 thing with gals.

The pilots also had Sweat Lou on one of their 69 cards (his amazing 3rd rookie card!) Only to end up on KC on a spring training trade and become ROY.

I wonder if the pilot cards still get a premium. They did get listed in Becketts in the 80s.

As for hostess, remember my friend whose mom and step dad both worked for hostess/wonder bread in Detroit in the 70s getting a bunch of this full boxes (usually because the ink jet screwed up printing the lot code so they were to be trashed). Hated them like that so cut some very nice panels that I still have 78 and 79 sets.

Nate colbert was hyped as a tiger acquisition in early 75 as a replacement for Norm Cash and later Al Kaline at 1B. By then, I understand his back issues were a problem and the pitchers threw him a lot of breaking stuff that he struggled to hit. But did he have a few great years in the early 70s for SD.

Did you ever get the Ron Cey RC cola can from 77?

Paul t
Chris said…
Love the 69 Reggie Smith card, but that whole Hostess box is something I've never seen. Very cool item!
Grant said…
That King Dons box though, nice!
I grew up hearing the girls wanted a guy to be 6'. Even though the average man (back then) height was 5'8" No idea why people put things like that out there, as if anyone can do a damn thing about it themselves. Modern day with tall people hooking up with tall people for the purpose of having tall kids pretty sure the heights have gone up a bit. The way I see it, the taller they are the more their neck is going to hurt after sorting baseball cards.
Matthew Glidden said…
If you cut that panel with enough care, you ALSO get Joe Rudi mini and Fergie Jenkins super-mini cards.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Wait. King Dongs not ding Dongs? Was that a regoinal thing?
night owl said…
I never heard of King Dons as a kid. Must be regional (looks it up, apparently they were called King Dons in Canada?)
Old Cards said…
My Little League coach was handing out uniforms and gave number 1 to the best guy on the team, but it was too small. So not only did I make the team, but I got to wear number 1 which I wore proudly all season long. Nothing wrong with those 67's. They're beautiful! The 69's look nice too.
Fuji said…
I'm a little guy too... and although I wouldn't mind being a little taller (easier to find pants that fit... and easier to reach those high shelves in my closets)... I'm not ashamed of being short.

P.S. Got your email with the set needs. I'll look for them this week.
Nick said…
I don't know that I've ever seen an entire '70s Hostess box intact like that. Have no idea what King Dons are - thought that might be my youth showing through a bit, but my mom didn't know what they were either.
beefman said…
Being tall (6'5") is mostly only useful in crowds of people.

It's awful trying to find new clothes, sitting in planes and all kinds of public transport.
Brett Alan said…
Very weird to have a position player on an "Aces" card!
Jon said…
It does sound like you've done pretty well for yourself :)
I always thought it was strange that Topps labelled that card "Atlanta Aces".

Normally, "aces" refers to star pitchers, but Menke was a shortstop.
Jafronius said…
Maybe the King Dons box can fit in one of the one pagers?