Skip to main content

Filling in the gaps

 
As one of many collectors who "took a break," I've been making up for lost time a lot ever since I returned to the hobby and especially since I started a blog.

My "official" break was from 1994-2004, but there were minor purchases here and there during that time. Also, I've broke from the hobby during other times, too, particularly when I left home for college.

I can probably break my breaks (heh) into three categories. And here they are in reverse order of how much I regret not collecting during that time:

3. 1994-2000

Sure, some of the flashy inserts would be fun, but as someone who has accumulated a lot of Dodgers from that time now, there are so many sets that don't appeal to me at all. Collecting changed in a massive way during this time -- in a way that the hobby still feels today -- and the kind of collecting that ruled at that time doesn't appeal to me. If I collected then, I don't know if current collecting me would like what I had become.

2. 2001-04

There were way too many sets to collect at this time, but I dig a lot of the ones that sprang from the retro boom. I'm a little sad I didn't get to collect the early Heritage sets and stuff like Fleer Tradition, etc.

1. 1984-88

This is it. This is where I blew it. As I've mentioned many a time, my collecting during this time consisted of buying complete Topps sets and in 1984 and 1985 and then ignoring the hobby, with a pack purchase or two in 1988.

Cards were so available then that I've had no trouble adding what I've missed and there is stuff in the back half of this period (1987 and 1988) that still doesn't matter to me (looking right at you, '87 Donruss). But I'm still trying to fill in the gaps for 1984-86. That time is super-key.

Currently, it's 1985 Donruss. I'm doing pretty well there.


A single-card trade with TCDB's FantasticCards netted the third-year Wade Boggs card for my set. Wade doesn't like that strike call.

A whole bunch more came from another trade with TCDB's sspeegle.


This is what I'm talking about, these are my guys.

The period in my baseball fandom in which I followed the game unconditionally, with no questions asked of it, is from the mid-1970s to the mid-1980s. The players during that time are my fan favorites. They are the bigger-than-life guys.

Sure, 1985 was the tail end of that period but there are still a bunch of '70s guys playing in 1985, so I want those cards in my collection.




A whole bunch more. Love the uniforms. I don't think you can sum up the mid-1980s better than Mets shoulder piping and Cardinals blue softball tops.
 
1985 Donruss was once the most famous black-border set after 1971 Topps (I don't know, maybe it still is). So it's susceptible to chipping and a couple of these cards are a little worn, but the vast majority I'll add to the collection with zero hesitation.
 
With this trade, I even got closer to finishing the 1986 Fleer build as sspeegle nicely threw in a couple of needs after not being able to find two of the '85 Donrusses he had listed.
 

Just four cards to go now to finish this set.
 
As for 1985 Donruss, I'm getting close to 50 percent of the set complete. I should fly past that in a couple of weeks as I'm working on another TCDB trade for more from the set. Once the dust clears from that, I'll see where I am. You could even see a want list here. That is wild to me, someone who had like 15 cards from this set for 30-plus years.
 
Sometimes I go back and forth on whether I want to be done with collecting the '80s. It'd be nice to devote myself to cooler -- i.e. more expense -- collecting pursuits, but the '80s stuff is in my zone and it's a nice respite from the gauntlet that vintage collecting has become.
 
As long as there are gaps to fill between 1975-85, though, you can bet I'll be collecting it.

Comments

1984 Tigers said…
Night owl,

85D is one of my favorites of that era. It seems by 85 we long time collectors remember the horrors of handling 71 topps and how even breathing on a card caused a dreaded white corner. I think the 85D somehow are not AS BAD 71T for wear and tear.

They had the first Danny Tartabull. A full Shawon Dunston card (vs fleer 50 percent cut and topps draft pick card).

I don't remember this set selling in grocery stores. Seems like I had to go to my favorite cards and comics place to get them.

Centering though could be an issue. Seems like quality control at the companies was still a work in progress.
Michael D said…
'84 was the last year before my break. I got back collecting in 1990, fell out again in the early 2000s and kind of picked at it until 2018. I've got a ton of Fleer and Donruss cards that I haven't even begun to look at or put on TCDB. Heck, I can't even get all of my Topps listed!
John Bateman said…
Well the Pirates have a pitching prospect Quinn Priester who they hope will restore their dominance of the 70s.
Zach said…
Nice pickups, I'm currently working through a trade proposal from sspeegle.
Doc Samson said…
Nice haul, Mr. Owl. I remember ‘85 Donruss pretty well. Buying a factor set was like buying a brand new sports car for young collectors. Man, dealers really inflated those prices. One more thing about ‘85 Donruss: does anyone else think that their black border is a little too narrow?
Nick Vossbrink said…
One big break here from 1994-2017 here but it could be broken up into various eras.

1994-1996: zero care about cards or MLB
1997-2003: too many sets, most of which are just stars/rookies, but at the same time I really enjoyed baseball during this spell and there are some nice cards to be had with top notch photography to boot.
2004-2009: I don't particularly care for any of these cards and I wasn't even following baseball
2010-2017: Okay I'm following the Giants again but have little knowledge about the rest of the league. Also why are things just Topps again?
Nick said…
As much as I personally love mid-to-late '90s stuff, I can definitely see how someone who was out of the hobby at the time wouldn't care for it a whole lot now. We tend to remember the best of the best from that era, but there's quite a bit that didn't age well, and seems just plain confusing now. Not to mention there were 846 different sets and no possible way to afford to buy packs of all of them.
Jon said…
My main break was from around 2000-10. I don't feel like I missed much as far as cards being released during that time go, but I do think that I missed out on getting a lot of older cards for rock bottom prices; what with nobody giving two sh*ts about cards at that time and all.