Skip to main content

Binders make me happy

 
Here it is. A plain, black, nondescript binder. Another key addition to my collection.
 
I'm not as creative as some collectors with their binder presentation, with year-accurate labels and every binder the same color, but I do proudly display a collection in binders. They are out in the open where everyone can see them -- not that I'm taking tickets to my card room. The cards that are in boxes are tucked away on shelves or in drawers.
 
I'm never comfortable stashing cards in boxes. I know that's what I did as a kid, before I discovered binders. But when binders showed up, it opened a whole new world. Cards are a visual medium and binders offer the best way to present a visual theme.
 
I feel the same way about any collectible publications that I own, yearbooks and programs and the like. But because that's a side part of my collection, I've stored them in bins without much of a thought -- until a revelation a couple weeks ago.
 
 
I mentioned last month the purchase of a bunch of one-pocket pages. They would help me store my publications, some of which are tattered due to handling them as a youngster.
 
But that was only part of the equation. The second part arrived with the binder I just showed. It appeared about a week after I got the pages. It was part of a delayed birthday gift from my daughter (the first one she bought was "lost" in the mail). The binder is very large, one of those massive 3-inch things that could fill a lot of cards.
 
But I didn't really need such a large binder for cards, and I couldn't think of any rearranging I could do to get cards in there ... but then it clicked -- I could put my Yearbooks And Such in it!
 
I was thrilled.
 

All of the Dodgers yearbooks I own now reside in their own binder. The 1961 yearbook kicks it off.

Just a sampling of some of the other yearbooks in their new abode:



I was able to get all of my Dodgers yearbooks in there. I have all of them from 1974-85, plus a scattering of ones from the 1960s and early 1970s. The yearbooks started getting thicker in the mid-1980s, but they still fit into the pages -- I don't know about the sizes of later yearbooks (except the 1990 anniversary yearbook, that definitely doesn't fit).

There was enough space left over for a couple of the World Series programs I own.



I ran out of room for the other World Series programs, as well as the other ones I have, from the NLCS and All-Star Game, etc.

But that's for another time and another binder!

Ideally I'll fill this binder (and maybe a second) with Dodger yearbooks I don't have yet and then a separate binder for the postseason/All-Star stuff.
 
I have smaller publications that would probably fit in some other kind of page. Stuff like this:
 
 
I received this from Angus along with the other card stuff I showed the other day. I love this. Everything about it is SO mid-1970s, I mean everything. Smiles everywhere.

So I'll figure out the oddball publications at some point but for now, here's the side view of the binder:


I mean see how good that looks! I need a coffee table for my card room so I can open it up and display it!

Binders make me so happy. They're just perfect. And I've finally got an answer for "I can't start collecting yearbooks, where would I put all those?"

Of course, there's the matter of storing these binders, too.

Comments

Laurens said…
When i was more into magazines I would pick up from card shows I'd store them in binders like that.
Chris said…
That looks fantastic. I think a plain binder is the way to go for magazines/yearbooks/etc.

I'm very picky about card storage - must be an Ultra Pro album, blue or black, with Ultra Pro Platinum pages. Sets that aren't new or super interesting can have lower quality pages, and I'll use "Collector's Card" albums if I can't get my hands on sport-specific binders. But I make sure to use the same color/type for each PC team. (and don't even ask about my penny sleeve OCD)
Yep. Got to have those binders. At some point I hope the only cards that I have in boxes (or stacks and piles) are those that are NOT part of my personal collection but rather for trade. That reminds me I need to order more pages. :)
Michael D said…
Binders are for my complete sets. I'm a little OCD and have matching binders for all but one set...my 1981 Fleer set. First set I ever completed. That one will stay in the same binder till I'm gone. Cool collection of yearbooks. I've got a few from the Rangers, but it's just a scattering of books.
Michael Ott said…
I wish more of my cards were readily peruse-able in binders, but I'm stuck on the prohibitive cost of buying plastic pages versus cardboard boxes.

Sets that mean the most to me are in binders, but those that are stashed away in boxes are rarely appreciated.
Old Cards said…
Great idea. My yearbooks and programs are stuck in plastic bins in the attic of all places! I prefer plain binders as you do.
Zach said…
Great looking presentation. It will look great on any coffee table! Glad to see other collector's who prefer the visual presentation of a binder over box storage. I've been slowly going through my collection and updating old off brand pages and upgrading to Ultra Pro Platinum. All my cards are in D-ring binders that I've also been slowly upgrading to zippered binders because I wasnt happy with dust that would sometimes collect on them.
Fuji said…
I'm hoping that one day I'll own a place large enough to have an office/library with several book shelves to store all of my binders. If it ever happens, I will definitely create a section for my yearbooks and magazines... which will be housed in binders like yours.
1984 Tigers said…
Never thought of using binders for my yearbooks. Have them in protective sheets but like the change to albums. I have quite a few styles of binders. Just bought what I could find at shows at a good price. No color or style coordination at all. At one point was working on a run of Tigers yearbooks and ws programs. Have a lot of 60s and 70s items that I should pull out and look through this month. Night owl, once again a great idea for a blog.
Jon said…
I probably have around half of my keepers in binders right now. I still have lots of empty binders and extra pages, probably enough to page up the other half; I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Jafronius said…
Nice, thanks for sharing!