Skip to main content

34

 
The Dodgers are retiring Fernando Valenzuela's uniform number "34" tonight.

It seems like they just did the uniform-retiring thing and that's because it happened last year with Gil Hodges' "14" being retired.

Valenzuela breaks tradition as he's just the second Dodger player not in the Hall of Fame to have his number retired. The other is Jim Gilliam. Last year I wrote a post about Hodges' number being retired and boasting about how the Dodgers don't retire numbers willy-nilly like some clubs, and now, I guess, the Dodgers are going to be every other team.

But for Valenzuela it doesn't bother me much. Maybe I'm making excuses for my favorite team (you know, like every fan does) but retiring No. 34 seems right. Valenzuela's impact on the Dodgers is among the greatest of any player in team history. His legacy is felt throughout MLB and in two countries. He remained a part of the Dodgers long after his retirement.

Also maybe the Dodgers are done waiting 50 years after a former player's death to retire their number.

Hopefully, if they are going to retire any other non-Hall of Famer numbers, they'll restrict it to players like Fernando.

Anyway, this is a good reason to return to my uniform numbers post. I mentioned the last time I did this, with Gil Hodges, that I used to update this theme regularly, back before baseball-reference and others made uniform number research much more accessible. These posts don't seem quite as necessary (and probably aren't as interesting to people).

Fernando, by far, is the greatest player to wear No. 34 in Dodgers history. Nobody has worn the number since he left the Dodgers.

Other notables to wear No. 34 for L.A. are Waite Hoyt (at the end of his career), Pete Reiser (the first part of his rookie year), Eddie Miksis and Ken Brett.

Two other players wore No. 34 enough for it to appear on Dodgers cards in my collection.


Norm Sherry wore the number between 1959 and 1962, while catching his brother Larry.



Lee Lacy wore the number between 1972-78. He wore the number the longest until Valenzuela.

Valenzuela has displayed the No. 34 in a Dodger uniform on cards far more than any other Dodger player. There are lots of examples in my collection. I'll just show the seven (3+4) that feature the number most prominently.
 

1986 Topps: The rare back-of-the-uniform example. I have this card signed with the Topps logo crossed out. But I've shown it a number of times already.
 
 
 
1982 Topps Highlights: This is really the first card in his career where you can see his whole number. One of his two 1982 Fleer cards shows the top part of the number.



1991 Topps: One of my most favorite Fernando cards, the first major issue card -- believe it or not -- to show Valenzuela in action looking up as he goes into his wind-up.


1990 Donruss Best of the NL: The first of the cards where the No. 34 stands out boldly as Valenzuela goes about his work. All of the Dodgers cards in this set are sharp.



2015 Topps Baseball History insert: A clearer looking-up shot and a proper recognition of one of the happiest periods of the 1981 baseball season.



1986 Donruss: I've always liked this card (despite that terrible border). The number 34 couldn't be more prominent except ...



1991 Classic Purple: There you are. That number takes up maybe 10 percent of the entire card!

¡Felicidades Fernando!

Comments

Good for him on the number retirement. As a side note, he had to switch to #36 in 1991 with the Angels as Bryan Harvey already had 34.
HOFer or not (the future has not arrived yet). He is and always will be in my PC.
Jeremya1um said…
I was getting into baseball a little too late to see much of his career, but his rookie season seems like it was something truly remarkable, kind of like Mark Fidrych’s first year.
I hope the Dodgers retire Orel Hershiser’s #55 at some point.
Michael D said…
I remember Fernandomania...He deserves it. With the Dodgers history I understand not retiring numbers "willy nilly" (to quote a friend!). My Rangers on the other hand, were so bad that there would only be 2 numbers retired our own 34 and 7. Soon to be 3 with Beltre.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Right there with you on the "HoFers only, don't do the whole willy nilly thing" retired numbers purism. That said there are absolutely a few players on each team whose numbers deserve to be retired because decades later that number is still associated with that player. Fernando is 100% in this category (as are the two non-HoF Giants retired numbers) and as you state, it's great to celebrate these guys when they're still alive and can bask in it (something the HoF does a piss-poor job doing).
Anonymous said…
As a collector (and not a Dodgers fan), I find Fernando more interesting than HOFers like Eckersley & Blyleven.
Old Cards said…
Fernando came along right about the time i was losing interest in baseball and the card hobby. Even with that, I was aware that he was making an impact. Nice writeup on him and his cards. I just looked at his stats (as your posts often make me do) and was surprised that he only had one 20-win season.
Fuji said…
Very happy for Fernando and his fans. He made a huge impact on my love for the hobby and the sport when I was a kid. There are a handful of his cards that immediately come to mind. His 1981 Fleer, because I treasured it so much as a kid. His 1981 Topps Traded, because it's a card I wanted for decades. And his 1991 Upper Deck card with the multiple-exposure photos. That 1991 Topps card is awesome and will now join these other three.
1984 Tigers said…
I was a HS senior when he burst onto the scene. My suburb still didn't have cable (rumor was the mayor wanted kickbacks from the major cable in Detroit area) but remember my brother going over to a friend's house in a nearby city just to watch him pitch a weeknight game (I had class so couldn't stay up till 1 AM).

What a great story. I'm fine with retiring a number of a player made a huge impact on the franchise. My tigers retired Willie Hortons 23 because he was a hometown star and was a major impact on helping the Tigers shed the "2nd from last team to integrate" reputation. Also Lou Whitaker number 1 is also retired even though he's not in the hall. But both were legendary players for the Tiges.

Paul t
Doc Samson said…
Loved watching Fernando pitch because he was so crafty. That windup also drove hitters crazy. On another note, 1989 and 1990 Donruss Best are grossly underrated sets. Thanks, Mr. Owl.
Matt said…
The last number retired by the Red Sox also happened to be #34 (David Ortiz). Outside of 42 (for obvious reasons), I wonder which number has been retired by the most teams. That may have to be a future blog post...