Skip to main content

The 1975 Topps countdown, worst to best (No. 520-501)

 
Even though my 1975 Topps set has been completed for almost 20 years and the mini set completed for a decade, I do try to upgrade cards in both sets once in awhile.

That's been on my mind a lot since I'm scanning every last '75 card for this countdown series. It's kind of the updated version of what I did when I ran the 1975 Topps blog 10 years ago. And I found cards to upgrade back then.

I keep thinking I've done all the upgrading I need, and then I find a crease I didn't know about or a sketchy corner. Nothing is too good for my '75s, so I will keep upgrading -- in the middle of trying to buy every other card, of course. So it'll never been done.

I am definitely committed to finishing this countdown though and after this segment, I'll have gone through the first 200 cards. We've covered most of the airbrushed cards (but not all) and are now deep into stop-and-stare territory. Let's see the next 20.


520. Dodgers team (card 361)

The players are a bit too far away on this card but not far away enough that I can't identify many of them instantly. It's so much fun to recognize players I know so well from before I knew them. 



519. Rangers team (card 511)

Billy Martin with another team besides the Yankees or A's has always fascinated me. The photo is a little dim but that old-school Texas-shaped scoreboard I can spot a mile away. The Rangers' current stadium needs more character like that.



518. Yankees team (card 611)

Here are the Yankees now, making the bat boys hold up the Yankees logo. Again, not the clearest image, but a decent team card and I enjoy the crossed arms in the front, always classic.



517. Bart Johnson (card 446)

One of those cards in the set that horrified my brother and I. He had it, I didn't want it. Looking at it now, it's not bad at all. Clair Barth Johnson (yup, that's his name) is 6-foot-5 and looks it. 



516. Paul Popovich (card 359)

Popovich was better known as a Cub and, among card collectors, he's known for his 1969 Topps card, which was airbrushed about eight different ways. Great signature.



515. Vic Albury (card 368)

A color-coordinated card and devilish smile will get you pretty far with me. But I never heard of Vic Albury when I got this card so this is where it makes its stop.



514. Rick Wise (card 56)

Not a great card, the photo is dim, Wise looks a bit down and the off-centered nature of the photo bothers me a little. But as a kid, I loved this card. Wise fascinated me, a combination of his name and that I knew at an early age about him pitching a no-hitter while hitting two home runs (come on, Ohtani, what's stopping you?). I also like this red-yellow combo with the Red Sox cards.



513. Glenn Borgmann (card 127)

More red-and-yellow, plus a batting cage! Borgmann is a catcher's name.



512. Tom Grieve (card 234)

The batting cage backgrounds are saving some of these cards. Not that there's anything wrong with card with bright pink-and-yellow borders. In fact, this is tremendous.



511. Stan Bahnsen (card 161)

I like the day that Bahnsen is in. Looks sunny, looks hot, looks like Bahnsen is discussing how sunny and hot it is.



510. Ron Fairly (card 270)

The charm of this card is actually the stack of stats on the back, and Fairly would have cards for six more years!



509. Clay Carroll (card 345)

Another one of the red-yellow Reds cards that go so well with the team. The wind breaker helps, too. Unlike the Bahnsen card, it appears cold-and-windy where he is.



508. Phil Roof (card 576)

I have nothing against players in batting poses, lordy, there are so many more of those to come. But this card looks like the template for current Heritage cards, just photoshop in that empty field background! This card's generic feel has bugged me.
 


507. Jim Barr (card 107)

Here is the pitcher counterpart to the Roof batting card. I added the O-Pee-Chee version of this card very early in accumulating this set and it reinforced how little is going on here.



506. Mac Scarce (card 527)

As a kid, I knew him as Mac SCAR. It might've added a coolness factor to the card but it's hardly exciting. I don't see any scars.



505. Skip Pitlock (card 579)

Sensing a theme? There is a little more going on in this card and Pitlock possesses both a mustache and a nifty name. But speaking of upgrading, this card is so miscut it's barely scannable.



504. Chris Ward (card 587)

Chris Ward's lone card. He looks quite happy to be on it. 



503. Paul Casanova (card 633)

Just a pleasant card. I used to get Paul Casanova mixed up with the old Cubs star and manager from the 1940s and '50s, Phil Cavarretta. Yeah, I know, they have nothing in common outside of being ballplayers and owning the same initials. Sometimes that's all it takes.



502. Diego Segui (card 232)

This was kind of Segui's look in general but he does not seem like he's buying what the person off-camera is selling.



501. Maximino Leon (card 442)

Long hair and a mustache, that's what I lived for as a card collector in the mid-1970s. I've actually written a post about Maximino. That's how long I've been doing this.

OK, that's another 20. I can't believe I actually got this in with everything else going on this week.

Oh to be nine again. No responsibilities and there was 1975 Topps to open on store shelves.

Comments

Chris said…
I kind of like the Phil Roof card.

Mac Scarce sounded like a made-up name when I first saw it.

At one point early on in my collecting life Tom Grieve's 1971 Topps card was the oldest one in my possession. I thought his son Ben was going to be a superstar; now I'm kind of wondering what happened there. (Also I want the '71 Tom Grieve again lol)
Angus said…
Yeah, I can get behind the sentiment of being 9 again with packs of cards to open.
sg488 said…
I always wondered what Messersmith and the guy below him are looking at in the Dodgers pic.
kcjays said…
I was 14 during the summer of ‘75.
The year before was my last “kid” year of buying lots of packs but I still got a few in 1975.
(I wish I had bought a lot more.)
In ‘74 it was so exciting opening the packs of cards and knowing you could get any number from the set - not limited by series.
Surprised you ranked the Dodgers team card so low.
Old Cards said…
Had to look up Vic Albury. Never heard of him. Played 4 years and had decent seasons. His bio doesn't say why he had such a short career. Glad to see more team cards out of the way. Looking forward to the next countdown.
John Bateman said…
Rick Wise was a big part in my introduction to baseball cards (That Tito Fuentes in action card in the 1972 with the Wise write up on back is one of my favorite cards of all time) and Baseball (him being traded straight up for Steve Carlton) in 1972.
Brett Alan said…
I did not anticipate you ranking the Yankees team card higher than the Dodgers team card! The Yanks card is kind of weird, the team logo is like halfway up, and clearly the photographer isn't right in the center and some players are looking at the photographer and some are looking straight ahead.
Fuji said…
I actually like the Roof and Barr photos... especially compared to all of the other upper torso shots in this post. But good call on the Heritage thing. I totally agree.
1984 Tigers said…
Loved the 75s. Growing up in Detroit all we had were minis and I didn't know that we were getting a test version till I went to Kresges and put 5 cents into a card machine and pulled out full sized cards including a Catfish Hunter that I needed but needed a mini not full size.

I wonder who the Yankees guy on the right adjusting his hat was. Tippy Martinez came up with the Yanks around that time. Maybe him?

Bart Johnson had arm problems one season and was sent to the minor where he played mostly OF. He was a good hitter for a pitcher. Segui went from being on the AL champs that year to being the Mariners opening day starter just 2 years later.

Paul t
1984 Tigers said…
Turns out Tippy Martinez made his debut for the Yanks in Aug 1974. If that photo was taken near the end of the season, that might be him adjusting his cap.

Tom Grieves rookie card in 71 was listed in Beckett monthly for a while when guys who were now coaches or front office staff and at games were easy signers for the fans.

Fyi: Skip Pitlocks 71 rookie photo looks like he was told to answer the question "name all 50 state capitals" kind of a dumbfounded look. 75 card is way better.

Paul t
Jafronius said…
Albury almost looks like he's winking at us haha