Skip to main content

I'll go over the moon only once

 
A year ago, Topps released, seemingly out of the blue, a product called "2021 Topps Chrome Platinum Anniversary". That's right, it was 2022 and it was dated 2021. 

I was prepared to ignore/spit on this product for obvious reasons -- the 1952 Topps design again, there's no saving Topps, is there? -- but, strangely, I found the cards pretty damn cool.
 
Now, me going "over the moon" for a current product is relative. I don't sink my teeth into a new set fully unless I really, really like it, and that happens very seldom. I am not buying box after box after box, which is what you'd think was a collector going "over the moon." But I did gush over these cards on the blog and I did buy one of those mega boxes of the product (albeit a gift card purchase) and I do welcome any cards from the set people want to throw at me. So that's "over the moon" for me.
 
A year later I have maybe 70 cards from this set (out of 700). No real lesson to learn for me, but obviously some are in need of one because Topps is out with a new Chrome Platinum Anniversary set -- this one from way back in 2022 (when are we gonna get to the present?). And it's using another well-worn past Topps design -- 1953.
 
You know what that means right? Topps is probably attempting to turn this Chrome Anniversary thing into another Heritage. It will go year after year in past designs, only this time chromed-up, and it will be 2045 before it reaches the 1975 design and, if I'm around, I don't see myself caring about cards at all.
 
That's a safe bet because I'm already done with these things. The '53 version isn't doing it for me.
 

I received three of the Dodgers from the set from Johnny's Trading Spot just the other day (I'll save the other stuff he sent for a future post). I'm relying on generous mega-buyers for these fringe sets because I still need my Dodgers.
 
These cards, unlike last year's, leave me unmoved. Not only am I not traveling over the moon, I can't even get out of my chair.
 
All the ones I've seen look off. The images are too far back, the backgrounds don't resemble the '53s at all, the fake-painting filter on the actual pictures is weird and, heck, let's talk about the the type on the cards. Look at that Will Smith there.
 

 These are the Heritage examples from 20 years ago. The names are a lot bigger.
 


See? A lot bigger.



Because the originals were a lot bigger (Granted, the cards were bigger, but still).

Now, I know all about that familiar complaint of Topps not being able to duplicate their own designs and how probably some of it is some sort of weird legal reason, it's been a well-trod discussion. But sometimes stuff like that takes you right out of the set.

There are probably differences with the 2021 Chrome Anniversary set and the '52 set -- in fact, I know there are -- but, for whatever reason, it didn't bother me then.


Maybe it's because I associate 1953 Topps with being A Painted Set much more than with 1952. All of that dedication to the background art in the '53 set -- the billboard signs and the buildings and such -- defines the set and to see blank nothingness on the 2022 Chrome Anniversary cards -- not even painted nothingness -- kills the vibe.
 



The two other cards Johnny sent. I really appreciate him sending the Dodgers legends. The Lasorda image has been used multiple times and that's nonsense for how much you're going to be paying for these cards. I do appreciate the rare retro photo of Sutton with his perm, though.
 
Perhaps it's doesn't have anything to do with my perceived differences between the two Chrome Anniversary sets. Maybe it's just that I'm sick of all the retread design sets. I mean I shouldn't even have more than a couple '53 designs to contrast and compare anyway.

So, yeah, I'll sit this one out, like I do with most modern sets these days. Just not feeling it. But I'll take all the Dodgers, per usual.

Still, I feel like I need to make some changes there. More on that in the near future.

Comments

You know me, I pull them out of dime boxes (and last time zero cost). When I get more Dodger dupes (with Sutton and Lasorda they were trips) I'll send them your way.
Nick said…
I bought a blaster of the 2022 (23?) Platinum Anniversary a couple weeks ago and was mostly underwhelmed (did pull a Ted Simmons though, which was cool). It seems like the kind of set that would've been great as a one-off.
1984 Tigers said…
Night owl,

Do you have the actual Brooklyn Dodgers Billy Loes card? If not can send that to you.

I wish topps would have more 1957 or 59 remakes somehow
1984 Tigers said…
Meant to say 1953 topps Loe
night owl said…
@1984 Tigers ~

I have all the '53 Topps Dodgers (in varying condition) except for Robinson and the high-number rookies (Gilliam, Podres, etc).
Doc Samson said…
That’s tremendous that you own some ‘53 Topps Dodgers, Mr. Owl. I’ve sure you treasure them immensely.
John Bateman said…
This means we get Elly De La Cruz's last rookie card in 2025.
1984 Tigers said…
Has topps made any "retro" sets for years like 54, 59, etc. Those are nice designs.
night owl said…
You name a past Topps design and Topps has dedicated a set, part of a set or an insert set to it and that definitely includes '54 and '59. See my posts where I recount which Topps designs Clayton Kershaw has appeared on -- almost all of them.
Jon said…
They're just as weird looking to me as last year's set.
Jafronius said…
I saw blasters of it at Target and walked away when iI saw it was 30 bucks for 28 cards. What's going in with Tommy's forehead?