Skip to main content

My favorite topic for videos, my second favorite topic for cards

 
So, way back before my vacation started, more than three weeks ago now, I met Angus of Dawg Day Cards for lunch.

He was passing through town on his way to a concert. I was one day away from vacation with a ton of crap to get done, but we made it work and settled into our usual Buffalo Wild Wings spot -- like literally the same table -- to talk sports card shop.
 
Angus showed up offering gifts, as he often does. We had a bit of a wait before our meals appeared so I dug into the cards right away.
 
Although the selection contained the usual baseball, I'd say the highlight were the music cards, particularly one music card set.
 
Music is my second-favorite card thing to collect after baseball. Yes, even more than football or anything else. I think I've made that obvious on this blog. Music rivals baseball for my main interest all the time. As an example, which I've mentioned prior, music dominates the videos I watch by A LOT.
 
It's my main reason for clicking on youtube after a hard day's night. Music discussions, music documentaries, music chart reviews, music album reviews, music concerts, you name it. In fact, here are the three main topics I watch on youtube:
 
1. Music content
2. Baseball, specifically old games, current highlights, etc.
3. Workout/fitness content (because I'm old)
 
What topic is conspicuous by its absence there? That's right, sports cards.
 
I find card-related channels kind of dull and/or annoying. They don't hold my interest. I would rather read about cards on my own time, at my own rate, than sit and stare at somebody (well at their hands anyway) discussing cards. It doesn't help that a lot of sports card videos have been plagued by the worst elements of the modern hobby -- what's hot, slabs, investing, and non-stop rookie discussion.
 
In general, I'm a quiet guy who would prefer that more people use their inside voice. So, I'll pick writing over talking almost every time. (It's also why I don't understand Alexa or Siri for able-bodied people. I can do stuff -- let me do it).
 
So, anyway, I got off topic there. Angus gave me a nice selection of music cards.
 

This stack is from that bizarre 1979 Donruss Rock Stars set. I showed some of these a long time ago. There are just four bands featured here -- Queen, Kiss, the Village People and The Babys. All four were popular at the time, but the reasoning for this set is lost on me.

But thanks to Angus, I have all but three cards in the set. Probably should finish it off now.



He also gave me a few oddballs from the 1991 MusiCards set. There are a couple of variations, including the famed uncensored (but censored here) Dread Zeppelin card. There's also one of the promos featuring M.C. Hammer. I'm not collecting those (I consider my Musi-Cards set complete) but it's nice to have.
 
But my favorite music cards in the box were these:
 

I had never heard of these before, although Angus said Fuji posted about them at one point (who knows, I probably read it and commented on it and don't remember any of it). They're from the 1985 Rock Star Concert cards.

I have no knowledge on how these were released or where they were released.


I really love these, mostly because they scream the 1980s. The colors, the design. It is very much an '80s MTV look and most of these acts were familiar MTV subjects.

One color is devoted to each act, and the bands also get cards for individual performers.


I think whoever manufactured these tried to stick with artists that were considered rock n' roll or new wave at the time (Wham! seems wildly out of place here, but they were pegged as "new wave" in their early days).

There are just 20 acts featured in the 108-card set.


That's a sampling of each of the '80s acts shown. I know all of them quite well. Probably the best indication of this set being issued in 1985 are cards of Ratt.

The backs contain detailed write-ups on each subject, along with vitals (birthday, hometown, instruments played). I'm normally not a fan of sets with rounded corners, but it fits with the MTV vibe.

Angus nearly had the entire set for me. I just need a couple more Pat Benatar cards and one Huey Lewis card.

So that was all the music content in the box (phew, some of you are saying). Angus threw in a couple of non-baseball sports cards from my interests:



The 1984 Joe Ferguson card is appreciated, that 1984 Topps set just doesn't pop up as often as other 1980s sets.
 


Also in the box were three old Baseball Card Magazine inserts of the star Dodger attraction at that time, I think these are all from 1993 and the backs are all about the price of his cards and "the investor says."
 


Here we go! A bunch of 1990 Swell! Is Billy Sample in every Swell set from this time? Seems like it, and good for Swell if so.

The Swell cards though were dwarfed by another legends set from the same time.
 


Yes I had to stand on a chair to take this picture. That is all from the 1989 Pacific Legends set. I'm down to needing just three or four -- the variations on TCDB making it confusing again -- to finish this portion of the set.

See, I got around to baseball eventually.
 
Because baseball is my first favorite topic for collecting cards.

Comments

Old Cards said…
Glad you got down to the baseball cards. Thanks for standing on the chair to take that great picture. Apparently, blogging can be risky.
Back in the 80's MTV was cool. Totally blew my mind the first time I seen it. Then came the reality crap and other non music video crap. I loved RATT too, all two of their songs, just kidding I know they had a few more.
Brett Alan said…
You know, I don't think I've ever watched a baseball card video on YouTube other than Nachos' group breaks. I wouldn't know where to begin. I did used to like watching Don West hawk stuff on late night TV!
night owl said…
Yeah, I suppose that's the only exception for me, I'll watch a group break video if I'm involved.
I hear ya' we have over 1 thousand YT videos and I don't think i utter more than 40 words combined in all of them, i have absolutely zero problems pronouncing the names, it is above and beyond all about the cards.
Last thing i want to hear is some breaker go haywire over another overpriced card then pound his chest as if to say all these great cards would not have been in the box if I wasn't the one ripping the packs.
John Bateman said…
The Baby's

Every time I think of you .............it always turns out good.

On Youtube = I think from the midnight special.
Chris said…
My YouTube feed is a mix of everything. I watch a lot of sports videos but very little sports card videos. (Just saw a 'night owl' comment on Secret Base and thought that might have been you)

My daughter likes a K-Pop band called Stray Kids and I almost always call them Stray Cats on purpose, because I too am an old.

On that note, what kind of workout/fitness content do you watch on YT? I need to get back into that. This summer has been rough :/
night owl said…
The fitness videos I view are your basic Fitness Blender offerings, low-impact body workouts and some weight-training -- you know, stuff old people can do. I also do an all-leg workout (no weights).
Michael D said…
I watch some youtube card videos, but I'm pretty selective. I won't watch grading videos or ripping videos. I've never done a group break and have seen one or two group break videos, but its boring. I'm assuming it would be better if I was bought in.
1984 Tigers said…
Night owl,

First off, you can't be old because I'm a few years older and that would make me old! Today I'm getting in a long bike ride, lots of walking and some treadmill time too. Before watching ball on TV while going through my 57 topps.

I graduated from college in 85 and don't even remember seeing those music cards. I suspect they were either sold at records stores or even shop at home Channel if that network was around in the 80s. Pretty cool indeed. Police broke up after 1984 but could see them having a set in 1985 with them in it. John Waite was in the Babys late 70s then solo mid 80s with #1 hit Missing You, then Bad English late 80s, early 90s when my wife and I started dating.

I moved into South Quad at U of Mich in late Aug 81 during Marching Band practice week. MTV had just come out and we didn't have cable at home but the dorms had cable. Watched those videos endlessly when not at band practice or in class or library. It was great because the big TV rooms were in the middle of the dorms where the men's wing met the women's wing. Great place to watch videos and mingle with the gals too.

The only music cards I have are from the movie and musical Grease. 1978 cards. Before prices for topps fun packs went insane on ebay, you could buy fun packs with 79 wacky packages, 78 grease, and some no name packs that contained football or baseball for about 30 bucks. Now even the grease packs sell for about 2 bucks a piece.

Another cool blog today!

Paul t
1984 Tigers said…
Looked up a bit more info on the 1985 rock star cards. Appears they were issued in packs of 10 plus a sticker for about 59 cents. Lots to find on ebay. But have no recollection of ever seeing them in a store like 7 11. I didn't buy from records stores because I would do the "get 4 free cassettes of your choice if you agree to buy 2 more at our listed price" ads in magazines. Maybe that's where they were marketed as the baseball card market was heating up in 85 and those stores wanted to capitalize on the interest.

It's days like these I wish I could go back in time to 85 for one day and just drop in some stores and see what was on the shelves as well as hit a card show and laugh at what I thought were "overpriced" cards from the 60s and 70s.

Paul t
Anonymous said…
I like Professor of Rock, though he can be a bit dramatic. Apparently every other song changed his life. I dig Rick Beato and a few others
Doc Samson said…
Remembering when MTV first started. Say what you will about the dated clothing, strange haircuts and garish colors. Pat Benatar, Michael Jackson, Rod Stewart and countless others were tremendously talented artists.
Cardboard Jones said…
There are a few card channels I watch but I wholeheartedly agree with you in regards to the content being produced on most of these channels. And there seems to be a 'good ol' boy' network, with a handful of guys who appear on one another's shows.
Nick said…
I periodically try and search for card videos on YouTube, but I seem to come up empty each and every time. Just not much that catches my interest - maybe one day someone'll film themselves going through a dime box or something.

Reading the backs of those Baseball Card Magazine cards is always entertaining with all the "investor" speak. Love the pre-Heritage throwbacks to older designs.
Matt said…
Great, more music cards I need to check out! Will see who I need want on that checklist
Fuji said…
Never saw the Concert Cards back in the 80's... although I'm guessing they were sold at record stores. I'm pretty sure the 13 year old version of me, would have been all over them back in 1985.

About 10 years ago, I bought a bunch of packs of this stuff at the flea market.
I still have some singles, so if you email me your set needs I might be able to help.
Jafronius said…
Don't think I've see those other music sets before, very nice!