Skip to main content

Life is a series of adjustments

 
The sooner you figure that out the easier life will get. I bet it takes people until their 30s to realize that, and many even later in life. I think I was in my 40s, and I still wonder if I know how to adjust.

Because it's not just solely being aware that life is a series adjustments but to be at one with it, to be at peace with the new development and that there will always be new developments, and LFG.
 
For example, there's card show coming up in a couple of weeks. Not only that but -- new development -- there are two card shows in essentially the same area going on at the same time.

I've had it marked on the calendar for months because shows don't come around all that often, my last one was five months ago. Why I plan stuff out anymore is beyond me, because I'm not even sure I'll go to the card show now because -- new development -- money is suddenly tight.

With new developments and adjustments popping off all over the place, it's good to have backups.

My backups come in the form of people who collect like me and send me stuff. People like Jeff at Cardboard Catastrophes.

He sent me some cards a week or so ago that is mostly stuff I will be looking for -- if and when -- I go to the card show. I do get distracted from time to time at card shows by shiny stuff and some cheap '80s find, but the main objective, the first thing on my list -- always -- is vintage.


Yes, exactly.

That's a whole bunch of the set I'm currently collecting, 1970 Topps. That's not even all of it. And, weirdly, these are all upgrades because -- here's a new development -- I'm apparently a big shot who owns more than two-thirds of the set already. Trading Card Database says it's 86.3% complete!😮😮. I am aghast.

I'm very happy to be able to upgrade many of these. That six-player leader card is a delight and suddenly my favorite leader cards are ones with at least five players on them.

But honestly I hope to do better at that potential card show selecting '70 Topps. I'd be scolding myself if I brought home that many dupes. I have a difficult time adjusting to self-selected dupes.


These three team cards are new to the collection though. Notice the pinholes on two of the three. Certainly not anything that will keep them out of the set binder but somebody had an obsession with putting all of the team cards on the bulletin board.

So dupes or not, that would be a good solid first 20 minutes at a card show. And I didn't need to spend any cash on these. I can adjust to free cards better than just about anything else.

Now for three separate cards that Jeff sent that all speak to me in their own way:


I'm not sure what kind of card this is, possibly a one-off issue. But I do have a Bobby Bragan autographed card in my collection already. The trouble with that one is he shares card space with his fellow baseball Bragans (there's a bunch). So I like this solo version.


Jeff made sure to point out the back, specifically Bragan's Fantasy Camp Highlight. At my age, I can still run and I can still swing a bat (not at anything coming at me faster than 30 mph, probably) but I can't imagine sliding into a base without paying for it for months.



Second card.

The encasing of a 1973 O-Pee-Chee Very Good checklist will never not amuse me. I know that more than a few collectors are all about complete graded sets. That's insane to me, not only unnecessarily difficult but also everything is in PLASTIC.

Grading baffles me, unless the card is known to be counterfeited or is going to land some sort of windfall. Otherwise I think collectors were brainwashed starting about 25 years ago. And people talking about which kind of holders they like best -- that gets the dog head-tilt.

I have five cards in my collection that are graded. Let's review and why they're still imprisoned:

1. 1953 Bowman Pee Wee Reese

-- The card isn't in the best of shape, it's one of the best Dodgers cards of all-time, and I'm afraid what would happen if I broke it out.

2. 1966 Topps Bart Shirley/Grant Jackson

-- The famed hoarded high-number card, I should really break it out but just haven't had the guts to do it as I spent plenty for it and what if something went wrong?

3. 1976 Kellogg's Mark Fidrych

-- Same as the previous two, except Kellogg's 3D cards are even more fragile. Not doing it for this momentous card.

4. 1955 Topps Karl Spooner

-- Someone sent me this. I have the card already, not encased. Sure, I'll keep it as is.

5. 1982 Topps Burt Hooton

-- Again, someone sent this to me and it's bizarre this card was graded -- yes, even if someone's doing the graded set thing.

I think I'm going to have to add a sixth graded card to the collection. I own the '73 OPC Dodgers checklist already, why break it out? But that probably means I'll look at releasing the Spooner. I can't have more than five graded cards.



Third card.
 
This thing is perfect.
 
It's a 1963 Jello card of The Greatest. It's been ripped off a cereal box, handled a thousand times or so, stuffed into a few pants pockets and used as a bat apparently.
 
It doesn't bother me a bit that it does not have sharp corners or that can barely read the career ERA number. If a less-loved copy landed in my lap, sure I'd replace it, but I'm not about to look for one.
 
It's funny, sometimes I care about card condition a lot and sometimes I don't care at all. Depends on the situation, I guess. 

I hope I can find cards like these if I'm lucky enough to go to that card show. And if I can't, well, I'll adjust.

Because -- new development -- there's another one the following month.

Oh, and -- another new development -- I was told yesterday there's plans for a card show ACTUALLY IN MY CITY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN DECADES.

Comments

That Bragan is awesome!
carlsonjok said…
Dammit. I never noticed those pin holes. In my defense, while I was sorting through the cards, I was talking to a guy that used to be my boss' boss at my previous employer.
I hope that you get that hometown card show and on the regular too.
jacobmrley said…
The Bragan card is one they used to make for little leagues and fantasy leagues. I know because I have my cousin and my buddy from grade school in the same design.
Old Cards said…
Always enjoy seeing the 70's Topps and hearing about your progress on the set. Have no encased cards in my collection and don't plan to have any. Have one autographed card that I know is legit - a 69 Bob Bolin. Met him at a friend's house at an Amway meeting a long time ago. Nice guy.
bryan was here said…
The Bobby Bragan card is from Big League Cards, which was founded by Jim Bouton.
Crh614 said…
As a whole, I dont understand the grading craze either... I understand the principle it was originally designed for, but I dont own a graded card and Im ok if that continues...
Mike Matson said…
I have a few graded cards.. All were sent to me.. I don't get it.. Three of them are Grady Sizemore Expos cards..
Ahh card shows... Another thing I live in a black hole for.. I swear there must be a force field around Peterborough.. I've never been to a card show honestly.. Closest was a guy at a flea market..
1970 - the first-ever Astros team card!
Stack22 said…
I'm still missing a handful of team cards from the '73 set (albeit, I claim it as "complete" without them), and given what they're currently demanding on ebay, maybe slabbing an OPC team card isn't all that crazy. At least, not any crazier than the goofy slabbing trend is as a whole.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Oh good someone already mentioned Big League Cards and Jim Bouton. In he peak of the junk wax boom that was the easiest way to get a custom card made for Little League (or anything else like fantasy camp). Pretty sure a good percentage of the 1987 Topps generation has a Big League Card of them in their Little League uni.
Jon said…
The good news is that the boom isn't anywhere close to ending, therefor card shows will not be going away anytime soon either. So, if you miss one, there's always gonna be another one; at least for the foreseeable future anyway.