Skip to main content

Joy of a team set: chapter 21 (when the baseball Bucs were great)

 
One of the biggest things I miss about my baseball childhood is when the Pittsburgh Pirates were generally known as one of the best teams in the game.
 
This wasn't a brief-shining-moment thing, like when the Pirates made the NLDS in 2013 and then returned to irrelevance soon afterward. The Pirates were damn good when I turned on the television in the late 1970s and I read about how good they were in the mid 1970s. I don't remember the 1960 team that fought the good fight against the Yankees and won, and the early '90s Pirates teams weren't exactly as lovable as those previous teams, but I did root for them.

All of this happened within a matter of 30 years and it was just known during that time: the Pirates are gonna be good. Just as it's known now: the Pirates are gonna be bad.

Probably the best of those teams -- and this is from a guy who is really attached to that We Are Family team -- were the early '70s version, which reached the postseason three straight years (then took a year off and reached the postseason twice more). The 1971 team won the World Series, the second-most recent championship for the franchise. And the Pirates were one of four teams to win multiple Series titles in the '70s.

Fifty years ago is a long time but that's how far you have to go back to find a Topps set that recognized a Pirates World Series title (thanks a lot, 1980 Topps). That set was in 1972, and it's one of many reasons why the '72 set is one of the greatest of all-time.

Let's take a look at that very colorful and eclectic team featured on a colorful and eclectic set:

 

 

 
That's a whole lot of fun. Championship team sets already carry a whole lot of impact with players forever remembered in history, but the Pirates are known for their characters, too. And then Topps goes and adds a selection of subsets to create one of the most interesting team sets probably of the last 50 years.

OK, now it's time for the usual Joy of a Team set rundown:

Favorite cards runners-up:

5. Willie Stargell; 4. 1971 World Series Game 6; 3. Roberto Clemente In Action; 2. Series Celebration

Favorite element on the back:


The back of the Bob Robertson In Action card details the Pirates getting no-hit. Gee whiz, Topps.

Famous error card: none.
 
Team's claim to fame: The 1972 Pirates returned to NLCS but lost to the Reds in five games. It would feature Roberto Clemente's final game.

Players I've talked to: Richie Zisk.

Players who grew up near me: Dave Cash and Dave Giusti.

Former or future Dodgers: Vic Davalillo, Al Oliver, Bob Miller. Also, Clemente was famously signed by the Dodgers.
 
Notable card:
 

 #661 - Bill Virdon. Virdon was not the manager of the 1971 World Champion Pirates. That would be Danny Murtaugh. But Virdon took over for '72 when Murtaugh moved to the front office over concerns about his health.

Most exciting card:

I'll give you two.

 
Not the clearest card but how many times have you seen the catcher that far off the ground on a card?
 


I came to collecting too late to experience the team card of the World Champions as the first card in the set. It was a pretty neat feature, I don't understand why it stopped.

OK, I'll wrap it up here with the finale.

Favorite card in the set:


Of course it is.

Maybe I'm hoping for too much, but it'd be nice to see a mini-dynasty Pirates team like when I was a kid sometime in the future.

But in true "this is why we can't have nice things" fashion, if it ever does happen, they'll probably beat the Dodgers like three times in the playoffs.

Comments

John Bateman said…
I went next game after Gibson's no-hitter.

The Clemente pose (tossing ball in air) has been replicated a few times by Topps since - 1991 Carmelo Martinez and 2008 Clete Thomas (I think there a couple more) - It is such a unique pose and use of the ball - I can only think of the 1952 Gus Zernial that betters it to that time.

The photography of the Pirate set always seemed strange - Hebner's photo always reminded me of a painting (to a lesser extent Pagan and Sands)

Great Crowd shot on the Sangy WS card.

The Davalillo card was impossible to get in 1972
The late 70's Pirates were a nightmare for my Braves, then again pretty much everyone was back then lol.
kcjays said…
100% agree. Card number 1 should always be the World Series Champs.
Topps has made it interesting having the fans vote for card number 1 but I think that should be changed.
Maybe card number number 100 or card number 7, since they have “unretired” it.
I went and looked at the 9 pocket sleeves twice wondering where the Clemente and Clemente In Action cards were. Finally realized that you had left a page out. For me, it’s a toss-up which Clemente card I like better.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
night owl said…
I had to battle with stupid Blogger on the formatting and the Clemente page got deleted. I added it again (but not after the Stargell page got deleted -- twice). The spacing is still all off ... Don't let anyone tell you that blogging is easy.
Old Cards said…
Great subject and great lineup of cards. I remember those early 70's Pirates' teams well. The Clemente card I like better is the one with the toss-up.
Brett Alan said…
I love 1972 Topps, but, man, some of those "In Action" cards. Especially Bob Robertson and José Pagán.
Nick Vossbrink said…
This is great. Love the Sangy celebration card. That back of the In Action with the Gibson no-no makes me wonder if there's a Pirate highlight on another card and whether that should be considered part of the team set.
George Bennett said…
These cards are so evocative for me -- my favorite team from the first year I collected. Great post!
BillK21093 said…
As an Orioles fan, I do not have any use for the Pirates.

They beat us in 1971 when we had 4 20 game winners.

They beat us in 1979. The result being that the song We are Family, was not allowed to be played at any weddings or dances.

If played the Orioles fans would exit the dance floor in protest.

All that being said, Clemente and Stargell were outstanding players.

The 1972 set was the first set I completed as a kid. Including the coin set.

I traded 100 cards for #700 Boog Powell to complete my set.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
carlsonjok said…
One noteworthy thing about that team was that the Pirates were the first time to field an all African-American and Latino starting 9 in 1971, 24 years after Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier.
Fuji said…
When I was a kid... the Reds and Pirates were the two team I thought of as winners. The Reds because of that awesome lineup. The Pirates because one of my best friends was on the Pirates in Little League in 1980... and the real Pirates had just won the World Series.
David said…
Great team set. Love Davalillo in the black helmet.
Jafronius said…
Total agreement on the crowd shot on the Game 6 card. Suits and dresses to a baseball game!
Nick said…
I'd never seen all the '72 Pirates in one place before - holy heck that's a great team set! The two Clementes (base and in-action) are probably my two favorite cards in the entire '72 checklist.