Skip to main content

Hellos, farewells and remember whens

 
You ever have one of those blogging days where you have a post picked out and you're going through the process of scanning/picture-taking, uploading and figuring out a title, and then something else pops up that you should really write about and then something ELSE pops up that you should really write about?

Yeah, this post is going to be a bit of a mess.
 
So, several days ago I pulled out of a box the first beer stein I've ever received as a blogging present. It arrived from reader Bob, who goes by GOGOSOX60 in the comments.
 

That stein arrived with some random packs of 1986 Topps. But I'll talk about that later. And, yes, I know the binder shelf in the background is sagging. I'll talk about that later.
 
 
 
 
The stein commemorates the 1974 World Series between the Dodgers and the Oakland A's. Even without knowing who Danny Goodman is, you can tell it was created by the Dodgers. Goodman was the Dodgers' marketing/souvenir guru for 25 years and he sure hooked me in as a kid as I checked the back of the Dodgers yearbook each year to see if there was anything I could afford.

I'm sure beer steins weren't on my radar at that time but it's a nice little artifact now. Bob said he's owned it since the '70s as he was a big Dodger fan back then. The item will fit nicely into my somewhat revised card room. (But more on that later).


Let's get to the '86 packs.

I love 1986 Topps. I often wish that '86 Topps was talked about as much as '87 Topps is because '86 Topps is so much cooler. But maybe I shouldn't say that. Better that '86 is saved for the cool kids.

I've mentioned before that I've always considered '86 Topps dark and somewhat mysterious. That's because of the black top borders (and maybe the hazy photos) but also because this is the first set that I flat-out ignored since I became a collector in 1975. Then, years later I'd stare at the cards longingly and wish I hadn't ignored them.

I completed the set in the early days of the blog, but this was a fun rip and I can always see if there are upgrades because of those chippy black borders. Let's take a look at what came of each of the packs:

Pack 1


A fairly run-of-the-mill pack except for the George Brett All-Star card. The Carney Lansford card gives you an excellent example of the strangeness of '86 Topps photos.
 
Pack 2


That's the best pack right there. Fisk, Boggs, Rose. Mike Scott was a huge deal at the time.


Pack 3


Tim Raines, the final card, highlights the pack.
 


Since there was 36-year-old gum in the packs some of the cards took a hit on the back. That's the way it was as a collector in those days. You dealt with some gum bombs. Collecting was not for the weak.

That rip makes up for ignoring those cards in '86 for girls and beer and listening to Falco on the radio.

I was a bit baffled by the '86 Topps inclusion as it doesn't match up with the '74 stein (not that Bob has unopened packs of his beloved '74 Topps to give out). But I have a couple of recent acquisitions that do address that particular World Series.


The Cecil Cooper, from the set that recognizes the '74 World Series, is the 460th 1975 Topps buyback in my collection. It's a key one as not only did I like this card a whole lot as a kid but at No. 489 in the set, it gives me an unbroken string of buybacks from card no. 464 to no. 497, which is the longest in my buyback set.

The Jim Hunter Hostess card is from '75 and is great fun because the Topps card in 1975 showed him as an Oakland A (for whom he pitched in the '74 World Series). That's the advantage of putting your set out later in the year even if it makes Hunter look pretty goofy.

Both of those cards will go on my card shelf that is nearest to the door in my card room. But there are big changes afoot with the other card shelf in the room.


The sagging shelf is no more! I put up the new metal shelf this weekend!

It's a lot bigger and sturdier than the previous shelf and I can fit more stuff on there. But because it's bigger, it kind of obscures the stuff I have on the walls. I may have to do something about that (although wall space is not something this room has a lot of).

It's all still a bit of a work in progress -- somehow I've misplaced a hockey binder in the process -- and I have some cleaning up to do.

I was doing all of that today, along with preparing for my blog post, when I heard the news that Johnny Wockenfuss had died.
 

That knocked me back a little bit. I collected Wockenfuss' cards as a kid and into being a teenager, and anyone who has read this blog for the last four years knows that I interviewed Wockenfuss and wrote a big story on him in 2019.
 
The story was about him living in town here and dealing with dementia, which was the result of concussions suffered during his MLB career as a catcher and also playing football in high school. Not too long after the article, Wockenfuss was moved closer to his family down in his native Delaware, which is where he lived the rest of his days.
 
I talked to his wife briefly today to express my condolences and she said they took good care of him between his sisters and the home where he resided.
 

 That's me talking to Johnny at his apartment in the fall of 2019.

It's an honor to be invited into the home of a former major league player. It's really when the lights dim and the crowds go quiet that you realize that they're regular people -- I mean, of course they are, but all the attention and the fans and the media turns them into myth.

At least that's the way it was for Wockenfuss. I found him to be a guy who was lovable, liked to joke around, enjoyed kids and pets, fishing and hunting, still had some bitterness, and loved all his buddies in the game. Sounds like a great, down-to-earth guy to me.

RIP, Wock.
 

Comments

Jeremya1um said…
Sorry about the loss of Mr. Wockenfuss.

It might not be your cup of tea, but I had a friend in high school who ran out of wall space and put posters in odd places. He had one folded so it fit halfway on one wall and halfway on another. Not what I would do, but he was able to hang some from the ceiling and keep it classy and I’ve always thought about doing that if I ever ran out of space and had a card room.
Old Cards said…
I too ignored the 86 Topps set. I bought a complete set in 85 and 87. Sorry to hear about the passing of Johnny Wockenfuss. I was going to ask about his 77 card but checked TCDb and answered my own question.
POISON75 said…
Mr. Owl you'll be glad to hear that the Tigers had a moment for Johnny B Wockenfuss earlier today. What is very interesting in your pack break of 1986 Topps that you pulled the guy who along w/Johnny was traded to Philadelphia that player Glenn Wilson as my friend from The Collective Mind Blog would say to me Cha-Ching!!!! Another useful fact that was overlooked by many readers.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Sorry about Wockenfuss. I know he's meant a lot to you and it hurts when those guys pass. Knowing he was battling dementia though means I know I can say for sure that he's not suffering anymore. That disease is one of the worst.

And agreed fully on 86>87T. 86 was the first cards I bought even though I only *just* completed it. Yes some photos are weird/blurry but it's got a surprising amount of variety and quality in there. And there's something very nice about the simple bold colors without any screwing around.
Billy Kingsley said…
Always a bummer to hear about somebody you know and have a connection to passing away. I saw him listed on the Database's main page Memorial section and recognized the name but I couldn't place where...it was from reading your post about him.

I just got a copy of that shelf to store my models on last month only in black. I really like it. Supposedly can support 750 pounds although models don't weigh that much.
Jon said…
For the record, '86 Topps is much better looking than '87. Better photos too!
Matt said…
Everytime i blog about something i end up pushing it off for something else least important then never actually.get to my post
Matt said…
You were the first person I thought of when I heard about Wockenfuss's passing. It gave me a good reason to go back and read your wonderful story.

I've always enjoyed the '86 set, and someday I will complete it. (For now a few other sets are taking precedent.)
GCA said…
I get three or four ideas for posts every now and then. Trouble is, three more weeks go by and I don't post any of them...
Anonymous said…
His '84 fleer #95 says he hit a "grant" slam.
Nick said…
1) RIP, Mr. Wockenfuss. It always hurts to see a ballplayer pass away, much less one that you had a personal connection to. (I really need to get his '82 Topps card.)

2) That's the first trade package I've ever seen that included a beer stein!

3) My binder shelves (which are actually bookshelves) have been sagging for a few years now. I really need to get off my butt and replace them before calamity strikes.
gogosox60 said…
Hey I'm glad that Dodger's beer stein made it safely to you. Funny thing I've been sitting on that in a box for a few years. I started clearing out some old sports material I didn't want as my wife and I were selling our house.

Of course there were some things I didn't want to throw away.

After the house was sold my wife went north and I moved into my daughter's house. Meanwhile all my cards and crap went to storage.

Finally my daughter and her husband bought another house so I'm renting her house now so "hey I can have a baseball card room"!! Thus I discovered that stein still in a box for shipping. Finally I can sort my thousands of cards I've been sitting on since 1974.

About the 1986 cards: I bought 6 boxes back at the end of 1986 from Phoenix dealer Steve Myland who used to by Topps buyback stock and had many ads on the back of hobby publications back in the day.

I figured 10 bucks a box was a great investment! Now over the years I must have sold two boxes. So now I have 3 boxes untouched and one box I've used to give packs away. Thus that's where those packs came from.....
RIP Johnny! That stein looks like it was made yesterday so clean and shiny, now go have a beer in it, hehe.
steelehere said…
R.I.P. Johnny Wockenfuss.
Jafronius said…
That was a great post you did on Wockenfuss. This was a fun post as well. Nobody handles multiple topics like you.
Fuji said…
Hope Mr. Wockenfuss is in a better place. My grandmother suffered from dementia and although physically she lived to be over 100, it was hard to watch her memory slip.

I'm definitely a nerd... because 1987 Topps is one of my favorite designs from the decade. But I must getting a little cooler since the 1986 design has grown on me over the years. I actually think it's one of the coolest looking sets for signatures. And the action shots look fantastic.

And sagging shelves are something I've been battling since I returned to the hobby. I've had to build support pillars place in the middle of each shelf to keep the particle board from snapping. Maybe one day I'll move up to the metal unit you purchased.

I actually have two in my garage (not used for binders though) and they can hold some serious weight.