Skip to main content

The best Dodger card for every year I've collected, 2021 update

 
 
This very well could be the last day of the Dodgers' season. So it's about time I select my favorite Dodgers card for 2021 before we're swallowed up in offseason transactions.

I've done this on the blog the last three years, but I've actually been doing this for more than 40 years, pretty much every year I've collected.

I have almost no enthusiasm for this round because Topps' 2021 cards are so abysmal. It's not entirely their fault, but it doesn't change that I'm not crazy about any of these cards.
 
But let me give you something nice to look at it before you have to see the design up close:
 

That's every Dodgers card from Series 1 and Series 2. The Update checklist was announced today. It's rather uninspiring from my team's perspective. There's Albert Pujols, then guys like D.J. Peters, who isn't with the team anymore, and a lot of sent-down/called-up/sent-down/called-up guys like Alex Vesia and Edwin Uceta. But at least it isn't 2020 Update bad.

Anyway, that was a tangent, let's look at some runners-up for 2021's best card:


Austin Barnes has been in the running for best card the last three years. It's about the only individual player card in the Dodgers set that wasn't ruined in some fashion by the jagged blades poking into the photo. I also like the Julio Urias card at the top in which he manages to completely avoid the blades of death because he's Julio, of course.
 
 

Barnes has the best game-action card. A few others could have been better without the close-cropping, such as Pollock and Buehler.

The top two cards for me though are related to the 2020 championship celebration. This card is both sparkly and appropriate with all the mask-wearing. Oh, and the phones. It's fun and weird. I like fun-and-weird.
 


But the best card for 2021 is Corey Seager sheepishly toting hardware while standing next to an obnoxiously large vehicle, just powering through all the attention foisted on him.

I enjoy this card so much, I've tried to fill a 9-pocket page with it. I'm about 3 or 4 cards short because who wants to collect 2021 Topps anyway?

About the only thing I enjoy about this set are the cards that commemorate the Dodgers' championship. It's cool that there are individual World Series cards with the logo. At least 2021 Topps has that over 1989 Topps (what in the world were you thinking then, Topps?)

OK, now as I do each year, here's a look at my favorite Dodgers card for each year since I started collecting in 1975:

1975


1976


1977



1978


1979



1980


1981

1982


1983


1984


1985


1986


1987


1988

 
 1989
 
 
 1990
 
1991

 
 1992
 
 1993
 
 
1994
 
 
1995
 
 
 1996
 
 
1997
 
 
 1998
 
 
1999
 
 
2000
 
 
2001
 
 
 
2002
 
 
2003
 
 
2004
 
2005
 
 
2006

 
 2007
 
2008
 
2009
 
 
2010
 
2011
 
2012
 
 
2013
 
 
2014
 
 
2015
 
 
2016
 
 
2017
 
 
2018
 

2019


2020


2021

 
Only the Dodgers letting Kiké Hernandez go to the Red Sox avoided a three-peat. Have you seen Enrique's 2021 card?
 
It would be nice if World Series-themed Dodgers cards were in contention when the 2022 Topps set comes around. They'd probably be a bit more interesting with actual backgrounds and fans.
 
But I'm not counting on it. The Cardinals seem to have some of that devil magic left in reserve for this postseason and even if the Dodgers get past them, the Giants have enough voodoo to last them through the whole thing. The most mystifying 107-win team ever.
 
But I'll save that grousing for tomorrow's post.
 
To the TV!

Comments

GTT said…
I've never seen that Robin Ventura card before, and I really like it. A cross country teammate of mine is also a Dodgers fan, so I hope for both of y'all that the Dodgers win.
Matt said…
Funny enough, until now I had NOT seen Kiki's Red Sox card. I haven't seen much of Series 2 at all to be honest (not that I'm looking or anything). Gotta love those gravity defying shots!
Nick said…
Seager is definitely one of my favorite 2021 cards. Granted, it's a low bar, but still a fantastic image.

(Congrats on the win last night!)
Anonymous said…
Some odd choices.
John Bateman said…
I am seeing some horizontal bias
night owl said…
Probably a subconscious response to Topps' refusal to make an all-horizontal set. ... But really horizontal cards rule.
Fuji said…
Lots of great looking cards here. My favorite 2021 Topps Dodgers card would be the Championship Fireworks card. Very unique and memorable. I feel like this card will stand out in my memory for many years to come... like the 1988 and 1992 Lasordas.
Martin in Belgium said…
Great post! First time going through your favorites: did you make a point of sticking to Topps Flagship only or did it just end up that way even though you considered other sets too?
night owl said…
I stayed with Topps because it was nothing but Topps for the first 7 years I collected. I've thought about including all the other brands in the running, but I think it looks better if I stay with one company for consistency ... of course, if Topps should lose its license in a couple years I'll have to replan!
Martin in Belgium said…
I like the way you did it. It's funny because I'm currently rotating my cards along the same principle. I display 7 or 8 for one week and have been choosing 1 Topps flagship base card per year. Started a few weeks ago with 1958-1964 and am now up to 2002-2008.