Skip to main content

Prepping for the Series my way

 
I will have my annual postseason post coming up in a day or two -- I think -- but before that I wanted to show some other postseason cards I've gained lately.

I know the early '70s Fleer Laughlin cards aren't everyone's bag, but that's good because it'll keep the greedy suckers who are gobbling up every card they think is valuable away from stuff I love.

These cards give me the warm fuzzies, remembering those days in the '70s when Laughlin's art was all the rage (well, it was everywhere anyway) at the same time I was first getting to know the history of the game.


I received these four cards, they're from the 1970 Fleer World Series set, in a Twitter sale thread. These are from Allen.
 
Sale threads are all over Twitter these days, it's about 50 percent of what I see, it seems like. It's pretty annoying but at least I found something I like and could afford.

As usual, the quirkiness of these cards, from the topics selected, to the illustration tactics and thought process, to the colorful drawings, is off the charts and a style and feeling no one today can touch.
 
 

Only a few days after I received those cards from Allen, an envelope from Cardboard Catastrophes showed up, consisting mainly of Fleer World Series cards!

Jeff said he'd planned to collect these sets at one point, forgot about them and apparently has lost interest. Now they're mine! Weeeeee!

I love all the character drawings of Cobb, Wagner, McGraw and Johnson on those 1970s. Laughlin focused even more on player topics for the 1971 set. Speaking of which here are some more from Jeff:


How cool is a Hugh Bedient reference on the 1912 card? Learn your history, kids! Collect Fleer World Series cards!

Since I did that Laughlin article for Beckett, it's helped me distinguish between all the sets, which is not easy. The most basic element -- the 1970 cards have blue backs and the 1971 have gray backs -- I see confused all the time. Also, the 1970 cards feature the year in a baseball circle. The 1971s have the MLB logo attached to the year.
 


One thing I'll have to figure out though is which of these make my collection, which will need upgrades and which are dupes. Several have some paper loss on the back (where the tape once was) and size and severity means everything to me.
 


A few more from Jeffrey. The 1979 one is actually from the 1980 Fleer sticker set. I know these well as I bought them in packs in 1980. I pulled every one except 1946 and 1967.
 


Jeff encountered some buyer's remorse as he grabbed a chrome blaster that contained four Dodgers yet only one Yankee (I don't know, that sounds tremendous).

These are my first looks at 2021 Chrome. Don't like the design any better, but it does work with Chrome a little more than with flagship.


The other two Dodgers were pink parallels. If LA gets past the Cardinals (I have my doubts), they're going to need both of these guys to excel because there's no Kershaw around.

All right, there was a little too much dread in that last paragraph. I'll focus more on sorting my Laughlin cards. It will put me in a good head space ... especially while watching tonight's 6-hour Red Sox/Yankees wild-card game.

Comments

flywheels said…
I think I picked up some of those Fleer cards in a collection I bought earlier this year. If I can find them, I'll cross reference them to this post to see if I have any you can use.
I can't spend all night watching BoSox and Yanks.
Matt said…
I have almost 3/4 of the '71 set, and just a handful of the '70 cards. I'll probably make an effort to finish at least the '71 set someday.
Jon said…
I would imagine that both of these sets are still relatively affordable, history doesn't seem to be a popular topic among the boom crowd.
night owl said…
Yes, they are fairly cheap. Which is why I keep telling myself to just find a full set to buy.