Skip to main content

Probably should've gone to the card show

 
I skipped out on a card show today because it was more than an hour away, gas prices are stupid and I couldn't get up in time to make it worthwhile (I work until 1 or 2 a.m. Saturdays while Sunday card shows start at 10 a.m the following day and are packing up by 3).

So I'm spending my Sunday just wandering aimlessly when I could have been directing my energy leafing through binders and boxes at a show.

There won't be a lot of direction for this post but, don't worry, I'll show you some stuff.

First off, some big news on the Trading Card Database collection update front.
 
I've been adding cards from my collection to TCDB since September and I finally am closing in on listing all of my Dodgers on there. Here is the up-to-the-minute total, and note where it ranks among other TCDB collectors:
 

As it should be.
 
That total is sure to go up. It's actually 66 cards more than the amount I showed on Twitter yesterday. I'm sure there are pockets of my collection that I haven't accounted for that contain Dodgers cards.
 
Even when I do find everything (TCDB does have an option so you can add all your duplicates, too, but I'm not going to do that), it won't be everything everything. TCDB doesn't list some of the Dodger cards I own and I can't handle figuring out how to add those.

But the important part is that now I can finally update my Dodgers binders. Uploading my collection to TCDB showed how scattered my binders were -- I had no idea whether a set was from 2002 or 2003 and that played out over and over. So it's time to get these binders in chronological shape for reals.

The 66 cards I added to the Dodger totals came mostly from the first Dodger binder in my collection, which contains cards from the 1930s (and earlier) through 1974. For whatever reason, I didn't update the oddballs into TCDB from that period.

While going through that binder, I started feeling low about missing the card show, so I might have purchased a couple of '52 Bowman Dodgers as I was staring at those cards in my binder.


These are the '52 Bowman Dodgers I have already. I'm not going to mention which ones I added -- I don't like to jinx myself before they arrive -- but I only need one major card and I didn't pick up that one, so you know it's not Snider.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting on a COMC order, which should be arriving in a little more than a week. That order, combined with a sportslot order that I haven't pulled the trigger on yet, will get me remaining 1981 Coke cards that I need to finish all the team sets.

Still, the Coke "Special Offer" cards are out there. But I need only two of them now, thanks to another envelope arrival from Alley!

She added the 1982 Brigham's Red Sox Coke offer card, too! All that's left, are the Reds, Royals and Tigers ones from '81.

While I'm showing some cards without pictures of baseball players on them, I should show off something called a "tea card."


I received it from Matt of Diamond Jesters. It was part of his project to drum up a trade for cards that have sat on the Time Travel trade list for at least four years. It's crazy how large his Time Travel product has gotten over the years, there are loads of cards available, but still a number of cards go unclaimed.

I decided to trade for this card because Matt mentioned it came from former blogger Dawn of Now and Zen. Dawn suffered from ALS and received her diagnosis right around the time my mom did. My mom passed away shortly after that and I think Dawn may have passed around that time, too (To be honest, dealing with my own mother, I didn't stay up-to-date on Dawn's situation very well, it was just too much to take at the time.). I hope she had the care of her loved ones.
 
Anyway, Matt said he'd donate to the ALS Association if someone traded for the card. Well now, that's something I will always support -- the number of people diagnosed with ALS is increasing all the time.

I still need to send my trade to Matt, but meanwhile I think this tea card is cool. I've never really heard of them before (I don't drink tea). Apparently it's from 1970 and has a number of names, the most recent being 1970 Brooke Bond (Red Rose Tea) North American Wildlife in Danger.


There is the back ... that looks very much like something that originated from Quebec.

So those are some cards that I didn't get at a card show today.

I probably should've gone.

Comments

I missed the card show this weekend too. Congrats on the LA Dodger Rankings. Where do you sit with the Brooklyn boys. TCDB separates them.
night owl said…
I'm 3rd. About 500 cards off.
The Turrdog said…
I feel your pain regarding the Syracuse show. Gas factored into my decision not to drive from Rochester. I love the Coke cards too, especially when the image is different from the base set.
Angus said…
I really wanted to go to the Syracuse show as well, even with the gas prices, but I had to finish a job I was working. It has been way too long. Hopefully next show.
bbcardz said…
Congratulations on your #1 ranking, much deserved.
Fuji said…
Congratulations on your collection being #1. That's super cool. It's not exactly the same thing, but I passed up going to a flea market yesterday.
Mark Hoyle said…
#1. Congrats Greg.
Jon said…
Gas prices have been preventing me from doing a lot of things. It's getting old, quick!