Skip to main content

I'll ignore Series 2, thank you

 
A week ago at this time, Twitter was abuzz with the release of Topps Series 2.

It was comical really. I know Twitter is very ADD by nature and everyone loves a new release, but Series 2 is not something to get that excited about and it's getting more and more terrible.

I've had a conflicted relationship with Series 2 for quite awhile and I've mentioned it on the blog before. It's very anticlimactic if you don't like the set that year (see: 2016, 2017) and this year especially it's almost pointless.

A lot of this is probably not Topps' fault. Supply issues, manpower issues, etc., have likely led to what I've seen in Series 2, which is a complete lack of attention to detail. This is not on the level of 2020 Topps Update but seeing Kenley Jansen and A.J. Pollock still in Dodgers uniforms in Series 2 is not making me want to collect it.


On top of that, I've seen the photos for a lot of the other Series 2 Dodgers, Trea Turner, Max Muncy, etc., because they just showed up in Opening Day.

It's all quite redundant and if it's going to be like this, I'd prefer Topps release the entire set in February like when I was a kid. I don't need to be jazzed every 3 months with a new release, Topps has enough other releases anyway, plenty to get excited about throughout the year if you care about that kind of thing, rather than a bland Series 2.

So anyway, the sellers on Twitter -- there are more and more every day -- don't think or care about that, they just shill product and boast about 'hits' for a few days after Series 2 is released and ask, "have you gotten your Series 2 boxes yet?"

No, I haven't. I'll ignore Series 2, thank you.

And I have. The money that I would use to buy packs of Series 2 (or a box, ha ha) has gone to cards I really want. So let's see what I'm buying with that Series 2 money.


I didn't add a lot of modern stuff, of course, but I do like my Dodger modern cards and this is as modern as it gets. Two online exclusives, a redemption-only card (that completes the 2012 Gold Rush Dodgers for me) and a short-print.



This was the last card from my 1960s ebay binge. I'll get back to it eventually, but I think it's a nice one to finish out this round on.



A pair of crystal-clear cards for my 1979 Kellogg's pursuit. The run on Kellogg's cards over the last few months is about the saddest development for my collection of late. People used to practically give these cards away. Now that I'm trying to finish these wonderful items suddenly everyone wants 'em. (I missed out on a complete '79 set on ebay because the price grew too stupidly).

I also have a story about another Kellogg's card and the weird exorbitant prices, but I think I'll save that for when I get that card.


Here is the latest round of 1977 O-Pee-Che cards for my collection. Lots of great Blue Jays with different looks from the Topps set, including Roy Hartsfield on his very own manager card instead of sharing it with a bunch of lowly coaches.

There is no real difference, outside of the French writing on the back, for the ERA leaders card, I nabbed it because you don't see Fidrych oddballs that cheap very often.
 


I was able to grab all of these for my 1970 set build, including a couple of snipes, for respectable prices. This feels good. Not as good as getting a Bench or Ryan will from this set, but I must pace myself.
 


Buying from ebay always means running the risk of receiving the wrong card, and that's what happened with this one. Fortunately they responded quickly and sent out the right card just as quickly.
 


OK, this is what occurs when you don't mess around with Series 2. You land 1952 Bowman cards!!

That's Cal Abrams and Andy Pafko right there (of course it is, it's not like modern players are signing their illegible signature here). I'm down to needing five Dodgers from the Bowman set. Snider is the big one but the others seem gettable.


Finally, this nifty card -- what an image -- is from the '51 Bowman set, still a lot of work to do there.

I admit this came from a Twitter sale. As much as I just complained about all the selling come-ons, there are lots of fun vintage sale threads and such and you can find some decent deals that won't show up on ebay or COMC. This was an easy $10 purchase. And I have an even nicer one coming soon, can't wait to talk about that.

Of course, I'll get my Series 2 Dodgers eventually. But they won't thrill me like the above cards do. There are a lot of things wrong with the way Series 2 has been trending but the only real complaints that I've seen have been about the lack of rookies, which I don't care about at all.

It would be nice to have a few more people letting Topps know that they're not satisfied, maybe they'd actually do something about it rather than shoveling out the same crap to the syncophants and fan boys/girls.

Comments

madding said…
The Cardinals checklist features Matt Carpenter and the retired J.A. Happ.
Yeah, Topps flagship hasn't impressed me for a long time now.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Series 2 is always a letdown. Never enough lead time to get players updated and it's especially bad this year. Plus as you say Opening Day kind of ruins the surprise. If it didn't have all the Stanford guys in it I'd be totally blah about it.

I'd absolutely love if it came in one big release like back in the day. Especially since supposedly each series doesn't sell as well as the previous one. My guess though is that Topps can count it as a separate "set" contractwise this way.
Brett Alan said…
A Donn Clendenon is ALWAYS the right card!

Series 2 is what it is. Series 1 gets most of the top stars. Guys who have switched teams before the season get saved for Update because we can't possibly wait for the trading deadline to actually make Update an update set. Series 2 is the neglected middle child. That said, I suppose I'll pick up a blaster. I miss the days when I could count on getting retail blasters at shows at a discount.
Grant said…
Nice Dressen card, that Tony O is a beauty as well.
Nick said…
Series 2 has been going downhill for a while now and I don't understand why Topps doesn't just release it a month or two later if it's not gonna have updated trades/signings/etc. Really defeats the whole purpose. I'll probably scoop up the singles I need on Sportlots and leave it at that.

Love those '77 OPCs, and the Lowenstein is especially neat since he never actually played for the Blue Jays. That '51 Dressen is fantastic as well & I've never seen that one before!
Bo said…
I bet you love how Topps's graphic for Series 2 is in the '87 Topps style.
Before 1974, Topps released a new series each month - 7 in all. They were able to squeeze a few last-minute additions/updates into the 7th series (as long as they occurred before May).
Collectors (only kids back then, I would guess) were able to pace themselves over the entire season, and the anticipation of who would be next added to the excitement.
Fuji said…
Never seen that Dressen card before, but I love it. Seeing Jackie's name on the board is really cool.

I stopped looking for 70's Kellogg's last year, but this post led me to looking up some singles I still need for my 1975 set. Won't be finishing that set anytime soon or ever.
Old Cards said…
Some great grabs for your 1970 set. The Oliva is especially nice. I'm sure all your readers know this, but I think it is interesting the same picture of McCovey (or at least the same pose) was used on 3 of his cards (61, 63 and 70). Seems like a star like him would warrant a different picture/pose each year.
Nice Kellogg's cards. My want list hasn't changed much in a while we the recent sales online. I look forward to your story about a surprisingly high-priced Kellogg's card, but that seems to be most of them recently.
Benjamin said…
See, I'm a set builder, so to me Topps 2022 is a 660-card set, and I can't leave it unfinished. I think they used to release sets like this back in the 50s and 60s, but it would be nice if they went back to the days of releasing all at once. Or you can just wait until July each year and get the whole factory set at once (which means you don't get any inserts, which is my kind of thing. I hate inserts and parallels).