Skip to main content

C.A. , the review 5 (part 4)

 
 
So far the qualifications for advancing out of the first round of Cardboard Appreciation, the Review 5, and taking a step closer to making the Cardboard Appreciation Hall of Fame, is to be the oldest card up for vote.
 
After three go rounds, the oldest card each time advanced. The latest vote was the most decisive of all with the 1958 Fence Busters card featuring Mays and Snider receiving nearly 50 percent of the vote. If it wasn't for the surprising showing of the 2015 McKayla Maroney card, Mays & Snider would have totaled more votes than all the other cards combined.
 
Here are the final results:
 
1. 1958 Topps Fence Busters, Willie Mays and Duke Snider - 21 votes
2. 2015 Topps First Pitch McKayla Maroney - 8 votes
3. 1985 P.R.E. Pete Rose Set, #102 - 6 votes
4. 1957 Topps Clem Labine - 5 votes
5. 2015 Panini Americana Aly Raisman - 1 vote
6. 2012 Topps Olympic Hopefuls Jordyn Wieber - 1 vote
7. 2003 Upper Deck First Pitch A.J. Hinch - 1 vote
8. 1992 Cartwright's Players Choice Silver Pedro Martinez - 0 votes
 
Mays and Snider take their place alongside Garry Templeton and Ted Williams in the second-round seats.
 
But now it's time for the next group of eight. There is vintage in this round, too, but I don't think there is a decisive card like last time. This is what I got:
 

1. 1992 Pinnacle David Cone/Jackie Gleason Idols

This post was a tribute to the Idols subset in '92 Pinnacle, which gave you a two-for, the current player and whoever that player "idolized" growing up. The David Cone/Jackie Gleason card is significant to me because Cone did not pick another athlete, and I think that's cool.



2. 1978 Topps Bucky Dent

This Cardboard Appreciation was posted on the 40th anniversary of Dent's home run into the screen at Fenway Park during the one-game playoff in 1978. That's reason enough for me not to vote for this card. But I'm not voting, and I know some other people have weird ideas.



3. 2008 Upper Deck Yankee Stadium Legacy #4263, Ron Guidry

This represents the only time that a card I don't own has been the subject of a Cardboard Appreciation topic. Maybe that's grounds for disqualification. But I can't be mad at it. The reason I want it is because the game mentioned is the first MLB game I attended. (P.S.: It's still sold out on COMC).



4. 1972 Topps Willie McCovey

My guess on which card wins this round. I posted this card after Willie McCovey passed away (Cardboard Appreciation turned into a series of eulogies for awhile there, you'll see a few more). The '72 McCovey was one of the few "old" cards I had in my collection when I was a kid. I thought it looked great. I still do, blurry throwing hand and all.



5. 1983 Fleer Salome Barojas

Players with significant careers who didn't appear on Topps cards has always interested me -- heck I wrote an entire article for Beckett on it recently. I didn't mention Salome Barojas in that article, although I probably should have as he never appeared on a Topps card in his career, despite showing up in Donruss and Fleer. I recently discovered another player that didn't get his own Topps card despite a 5-year career in which he regularly started. You can bet that will be a post in the future.



6. 1993 Upper Deck Pat Mahomes

This Cardboard Appreciation post came out when cards of Pat Mahomes' son, Patrick Mahomes, were HOT!!! 🔥🔥🔥. In typical "who cares" fashion, I promptly looked into my collection to find cards of the Kansas City Chiefs quarterback's dad. I told myself I'd end up with a Patrick Mahomes card in good time. I still don't have one, not that I care.



7. 2019 Topps Heritage AL Home Run Leaders

Sometimes a Cardboard Appreciation post is me blithering on about the state of baseball. MLB was just beginning to implement "pace of game" changes at the time of this post. I've been wishing away the automatic runner on second base ever since.



8. 1970 Topps Ron Stone

The theme to this post was cards of players wearing uniforms that look nothing like the ones that the team mentioned on the card would wear. Green-and-gold for a Phillie?

The Stone card happens to be the oldest card -- the "most vintage card" -- of this group, but will it win?

That's for you to decide.

Per usual, you can vote in the poll by copying-and-pasting the link below:

https://vote.easypolls.net/62a23b378d447100624abf85

Or you can vote in the comments, but if you do, please mention that you did not vote in the poll so I don't confuse totals.

Thanks, as always, for participating.

And for enjoying cards.

Comments

steelehere said…
In the spirit of the 1970’s, I’ve seen many commenters on the internet refer to the automatic runner on second in extra innings referred to as the “Manfred Man.”
John Bateman said…
I have not thought about Salome Barojas in years. I remember noticing that he was not appearing on Topps cards.

But one of my Favorite cards from my favorite set, the first set of baseball card packs I open. Big Willie Daddy Long Legs McCovey.
Old Cards said…
Voted for the 72 McCovey. The Stone card, even though it is the oldest and comes from a set I really like, is just too bland. No way I would vote for that Bucky Dent card!
Fuji said…
Voted online for the Bucky bunting card. Sure wish he had bunted against the Sox that day.
Bo said…
I don't have a '72 McCovey, but I've seen pictures of the card for years. I always assumed he was following through on an imagined home run swing, never realized he's got a fielding glove on the other hand.
Matt said…
No oldest card vote for me! My vote went to Jackie Gleason! Bang! Zoom! To the moon, Alice!
AdamE said…
Tough round, noting to my liking and even worst to many yankees. No vote for me this round in hopes none of them advance.
Anonymous said…
Going with Dent. That it's an "F-U" to Sox fans is just a nice bonus.
Nick said…
I *have* to vote (in the poll) for any card with Jackie Gleason on it!
Old Cards said…
If I was a Yankees fan, I would remain anonymous too.
I did not vote in the poll. It's the Bucky Dent card for me. Bunting, what is that?
Stack22 said…
Bucky Dent is a very easy call for me in this batch. I gave a second look at the '72 McCovey which is a very nice card, but it's still a very distant 2nd for me.

Even if this wasn't the Bucky card people were pulling from packs the summer he earned his glorious nickname, I'd still be inclined to vote for it.