Skip to main content

The inner debate

 
The cards I am showing here are the polar opposite from the ones I showed on the last post, and that's the theme here.

I'm conflicted.

I've written many times how I enjoy all kinds of cards and I prefer having a somewhat-open mind toward cards. I don't want to be an old crank who shuns the shiny, and I don't want to be a modern magpie, attracted only to cards of the last 20, 30 years. I try to find things I like in most cards.

However, I admit: the cards they're putting out these days? It's so much easier for me to find stuff wrong with those ones.

This is the conflict. Why am I collecting cards where the flaws jump out at me? Why not collect cards that make me feel warm-and-fuzzy at all times and always?

I battle with my desire to remain updated on the players on the field, especially on my favorite team, and the best way to do that for me -- it's always been this way -- is to collect their cards.

So I put on a good front, but actually I'm really not sure what I'm doing here some of the time.

Cards On Cards just sent me some very modern Dodgers and those feelings were/are in full force as I viewed/upload these cards. Let's see if I can show you why I'm conflicted with these cards while trying to say something nice about them at the same time.


This is a shiny version of Shawn Green's 2020 Allen & Ginter card, some sort of parallel, but I'm not entirely sure what kind. This is what I mean, how can I enjoy collecting these cards truly if I don't even know what I'm collecting? Also, I have not liked the idea of A&G parallels ever since it became a thing, minis excluded, of course.

Try to same something nice: Geez, I don't know, outside of it being a card I didn't have (isn't that always the "something nice" about a new card?), I always like Shawn Green cards.



A couple of cards from this year's Panini Donruss, one is a "holo purple" parallel. Even with the overwhelming design in this year's Donruss, I still notice the lack of logos. The number of parallels in Donruss -- in fact just about every current Panini product -- is insanity, impossible to collect and diminishes any collector's urge to complete the set.

Try to say something nice: It's still the best design that Donruss has come up with in the last 7, 8 years. Also, border colors are always nice, although the whole "holo" thing isn't' that interesting to me.



This is an insert from 2021 Panini Contenders in which the card tells you in tiny letters that Trea Turner plays for LOS ANGELES despite everything else you see on the card. This is something I grudgingly put in my Dodgers binders, like every other Dodger card in which the player is wearing the uniform of an inferior team. (My lack of enthusiasm explains why the image is blurry -- I didn't bother to retake the photo).

Try to say something nice: I really like the look of the Contenders cards. I'm happy that it moved from college athletes only to pro baseball players.
 


OK, here is the crux of modern card insanity. This a Contenders card, but it's an Optic Contenders card. It may also be an insert, too, I don't really know. Parallels on top of parallels on top of parallels will eventually make me run screaming to 1967 for good. It's only a matter of time.
 
Also, here's another weird aspect of modern cards. There is a QR code in the upper right corner. I thought it was just for show. But then a QR link showed up on my phone after I took a photo of the card. Against my better judgment, I clicked the link and was taken to:
 

An online clothes shopping site? Has Panini joined forces with Land's End? 

Try to say something nice: Well, it's a Clayton Kershaw card and I better not leave the modern cards behind before I hit 1,000 Clayton Kershaw cards!
 
 

Another Dodgers Albert Pujols card! This is from 2021 Topps Gallery. I've been campaigning for Gallery to not be a thing anymore ever since Topps resurrected it, but I guess it sells for who knows why.

Try to say something nice: These look nice, meaning the cards actually look like the player, because they're not really drawings, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of Gallery. ... Oh, yeah, something nice ... yay, Dodger Blue Pujols!!



Two more Dodgers needs from the massively delayed 2021 Big League. Out of all the cards in the mailing, these were the most traditional of the modern cards (except for one). The 2021 Big League design is pretty dull, probably the worst since Big League became a thing, and if it came out when it was supposed to I wouldn't have any urge to complete it.

Try to say something nice: These cards make sense to someone who has collected for more than 40 years. It could have come out in the middle of the 1980s and fit right in.



Not only is this a Chrome Update card from last year but it's one of those All-Star Game inserts, both are new developments that didn't exist 10 years ago. Don't really think either are needed and just contributes to the futility of being a team and set collector, but the key is to not think about those things and just collect blissfully. ... Also it took me five tries to get a picture that did not reflect my phone or my hand, etc.

Try to say something nice: Actually the All-Star cards should be inserts instead of extra cards in the set, I guess -- if you're not going to put the All-Star recognition on the player's actual base card, like in the glory days of the '70s.



This is my first look at one of the late '80s-style Big Baseball cards from last year's Archives. The cards are standard size instead of the Big Baseball size and they're foil for reasons I don't know. One of the best parts of the late '80s Big Baseball cards were the cartoon stories on the back, in the style of '56 Topps. Let's turn this card over to see ...


Oh.

Try to say something nice: Backs aside, I like the tribute. I'd like a '56 tribute more, but Topps is all about making late '80s collectors happy these days.



The last non-shortprint, Dodger-ish card that I needed from 2022 Heritage. Woo! As has been mentioned everywhere else, Heritage went with the current-player home run leaders rather than the all-time HR leaders because it doesn't have Barry Bonds under contract. Probably better anyway, who wants to see that guy?

Try to say something nice: It doesn't look like any of the cards above it.

Will I be collecting modern cards five years from now?

That's a good question.

I'm running out of space to put everything, and I'm sure not getting rid of my vintage cards or those cards from when I was young and full of life. So an end to modern-card purchasing is coming (So, too, could be an end to modern baseball viewing if the tinkering continues).

I will be sad when that happens and will probably have to pry myself away from some young Dodgers star to go through with it.

But that's not now. So until then, the inner debate continues ..

Comments

Just forget what I was going to comment. It was bad..... real bad. Instead I'll go with I quit seeking out parallels a few years back, I'll still grab them when they are in the damn near free boxes, but that is it.
Crocodile said…
Wow..an ad on a baseball card? That is bad. If that becomes a thing, I will cease looking at modern cards.
Brett Alan said…
That's hilarious that the Contenders QR card goes to a generic site selling swimwear. I can't imagine that's planned--someone probably just pasted a random code.

I assume the A&G is a hot box parallel.
Nachos Grande said…
I agree with Brett, the A&G card is a hot box parallel.

Kind of sad to see so many collectors hitting the proverbial wall at the same time (myself included)...Fanatics might want to take notice.
bbcardz said…
Just when you think Panini can't infuriate it's customers any more, they put a QR code on cards--ugh! And I won't be surprised if Panini puts multiple QR codes on many, many more of their cards.
GCA said…
Modern cards are really starting to ignore the reasons that us old geezers appreciate them. The artwork, nostalgia, and fun of being a fan is slowly eroding away leaving the only purpose behind them being money. A lot of the people who hold cards in their hands these days are doing the same thing - they're vaguely familiar with the sport and/or players, but are only in it to make quick cash...
John Collins said…
I have a lot of the same internal struggle on the desire to remain constant with the modern game in terms of cards, but it's a battle I usually lose given my vintage addiction. QR codes for ads on the FRONT of a card? That has to be the worst thing I've ever heard of.
Bo said…
Hey Nachos Grande, Fanatics isn't going to care about us "old geezers", as GCA put it. We're a drop in the barrel compared to the people who will pay three or four digits for a Wander Franco or Jasson Dominguez.

I haven't bought new cards retail since 2010. The modern cards I get are from trades or from bulk lots like garage sales, which I haven't done since the pandemic. I enjoy the ones I've got without feeling like I need to actively seek out more. Certainly I enjoy getting cards of current players on my favorite team.

Looking at the cards you posted:
Black-and-white - that's cool once in a while
A&G Shawn Green - he's not one of those retired players who still get a ton of cards, so that's fun
Donruss - I'm not enjoying the current design as much as others, but shiny is always fun
Contenders - OK, not special
QR code - it's something I've never seen on a code, so it's a novelty for now
Topps Gallery - it's a nice looking card, very fancy
Big League - front is nothing special, they usually have interesting backs though
Chrome - OK, especially if it's a parallel
Topps Big - I like adding foil to an old design
Active HR Leaders - I'm not up on this stuff like I used to be, so I'm glad to see it. The original is an iconic card.

See - something to like about just about every card. Still, when I'm buying cards instead of trading or lucking into a deal, then I'm going to focus on vintage.
Anonymous said…
I would have none of what you posted in my collection.
madding said…
Aside from the Big League and Donruss, these were all dime box-ish pickups at a recent card show. I have to admit I don't really get most of these cards either, but this is pretty much what's available these days. I feel like all i do is send Panini stuff to people these days, because people are least likely to have any of it. Since Panini's time is almost up, I wonder what next year will look like.
Fuji said…
The QR code on the front of the card is weird, but unique. I try my best to try to look at stuff with an open mind and be as positive as I can be. But the heart wants... what it wants.
Jafronius said…
That has to be an error for that QR code. I didn't think they'd work anyway since I thought the code was cut off.