Skip to main content

There is nothing wrong with 1978 Topps

 
I received a selection of glorious upgrades, from Bo of Baseball Cards Come To Life, from one of the more elegant sets in the Topps catalog, 1978 Topps.

It's wonderful stuff. They look just like what I pulled out of packs in '78. 

 
I like '78 Topps a lot as it's one of the sets that came out when I was a kid. As I've mentioned before, it's the first set I saw complete, all 726 cards in one shot, and, yes, 726 cards was a stunning number to me.
 
It's iconic, instantly recognizable, one of the few to employ script-writing. I don't know how you can't enjoy it.
 
But it's obvious someone doesn't enjoy it. For example, Topps.
 
That's the only conclusion I can make -- either Topps doesn't like its own past set or it's afraid to duplicate it, one or the other. Because, outside of some one-off online projects, it has avoided reproducing it in its retro projects, particularly in Topps Archives.
 
2021 Archives just came out and for the first time it is utilizing six past designs in its base set instead of the usual three or four.
 
The designs in 2021 Archives are 1957, 1962, 1973, 1983, 1991, 2001 and 2011.
 
Only three of those designs are new to the Archives base set. Those are 1962, 2001 and 2011. The other three have been used before, which is frustrating for fans of designs/sets that haven't been used at all, namely 1978 Topps.
 
Here are the designs that Archives has now used more than once: 1957, 1973, 1980, 1982, 1983 and 1991.
 
Here are the ones it hasn't used yet: 1952, 1956, 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1978, 1987, 1988, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003-2021.
 
Avoiding the '60s is understandable because Topps' other retro tribute set, Heritage, just finished a run through the '60s. The '90s are a bit understandable because when Archives began the '90s weren't "retro enough," but that's starting to change. Also, I'm assuming Archives has avoided 1987 Topps because Topps wants to continue to beat collectors over the head with the design with its inserts.

So that leaves 1952, 1956, 1978 and 1988 as the designs Archives has avoided like the plague.

I can probably come up with a reason for '52 as well, but the other three -- "shrug."

Could it be an inability to repeat the design in such a format? Or is it just Topps not keeping track of designs it's used and designs it hasn't?

Archives doesn't mean a lot to me other than a chance to collect a design I particularly like, and I've done it for the 1979 and 1975 designs in the recent past. Mostly what I look for in Archives now is Clayton Kershaw appearing on a design that he hasn't showed up in before so I can continue my Through The Years project of collecting a card of Kershaw on every Topps flagship design.

With the designs 2021 Archives is using, there is just one opportunity for that. Kershaw has already appeared on several of the '21 Archives designs, including in past Archives sets.


1957 (2015 Archives)
 


1962 (2011 Heritage)



1983 (2018 silver pack inserts)



1991 (2016 Archives)



2001 (2018 Topps Dodger Stadium giveaway set)



2011 (2011 Topps flagship)
 
 
That leaves 1973 as the only 2021 Archives design that Kershaw hasn't appeared on that would be useful to me.
 
 
(*Kershaw is card No. 32 in Topps Archives*)
 
(*Cards 1 through 51 use the 1957 design*)  


(That's so bad I'm breaking out this golden oldie).
 
Yeah, there's no reason for me to buy 2021 Archives.

Bring back 1978 Topps, Topps.

It's not like you're going to be able to use it for Heritage.

Comments

Bo said…
Glad to find some in that condition for you!
Nick Vossbrink said…
1978 Topps was a total snore of a set for me until I started trying to build it. It's not flashy or anything it's just quietly solid. Nice large photo—often times a good one. Distinct calligraphy per team. The more I saw of it the more I liked it and I definitely like getting it signed.

It also has the best manager cards of all time to the point wher eI've been using them for my customs.
Phil Abramowitz said…
I love the 1978 set...it was the first set I really collected as a kid. The All-Star shields, and the baseballs used to display positions were/are my favorite parts of the set.
Yeah 2021 Archives has definitely went overboard.
A totally overlooked set. One of my favorites along with the 1980 set. The inspired by '78 on line set I thought was also very good, but that's just me.
Anonymous said…
fyi - topps did use 1970 in its 2002 archives set
Anonymous said…
also, i do believe it has used 1963, 1965 & 1967 in 2001 archives
Anonymous said…
oh, and 1969 & 1987 in the 2002 archives set
bryan was here said…
I love the '78 set. I'm disappointed it won't be featured in Archives. I read somewhere that they didn't have script for teams like the Rockies, Marlins, etc. Makes sense, as that's a Topps exclusive script and whoever developed it is no longer with us.
night owl said…
Anonymous ~ I'm referring to the current version of Archives, which started in 2012 and is a completely different animal than the Archives sets from 20 years ago.
John Bateman said…
The Shlabotnik Report i believed speculated that Topps is unable to produce the hand script team names for an archives set
night owl said…
They've done it with one of their online Throwback Thursday sets, which I mentioned in the post. I have the Kershaw card from that set. Also they've been able to do it for teams that weren't around in '78. So it is possible.

https://twitter.com/vossbrink/status/1457518513661358085
"It's not like you're going to be able to use it for Heritage." This comment really hurts, I was really looking forward to the next several years of Heritage as I started collecting in the mid to late 70's.
Fuji said…
As much as I enjoy Archives, it blows me away that there are that many designs that haven't been used yet (while they've repeated so many others). As for the 1978 design, I wasn't a fan when I was little. But it has grown on me over the years. Maybe it's because most of my students don't write in cursive anymore.
gcrl said…
i am a huge fan of the 1978 design (my saturday post was all about it!) and its lack of representation is just one of the many disappointments with archives, such as the kershaw design selection - same with jackie robinson: why not put him on the 1957 design for the first time ever, topps?
John Collins said…
I will admit that '78 doesn't do much for me. Not one of my favorites. But that said, I would agree there's nothing inherently wrong with it. There are some cool cards in it for sure. For me the best of the 70's is probably '72 Topps with an honorable mention for 1976.
For years, I was looking forward to the year that Heritage would get to the 1967 set (my favorite set). I don't remember now when that happened, because I no longer care about Heritage.

As that year approached (I think it was when the '65s or '66s came out) I realized that I would not be collecting those Heritage sets after all, for several reasons:

1. The photo quality is so inferior to those from the 1960s (surprising, given the technological advances, but which seem to have bypassed Topps).

2. The annoying inclusion of the TM and R trademark signs on EVERYTHING, even down to the initials for AL and NL.

3. Topps' inability to match the team colors they used back in the day, and to a lesser extent, other elements of the card designs.

4 My realization that I like those vintage card sets primarily because they include the vintage players I grew up with, and followed for years. I don't give a rat's about today's players, and so collecting cards of them would mean nothing to me.
gcrl said…
i just opened a pack of update and found that topps also used the 1957 design for kershaw's 70 years of topps insert.