Skip to main content

I love ranking stuff!

 
A ranking post is the default setting on this blog.

It's incredibly easy to rank things -- at least for me -- and some think it's the lazy way to address a topic or even as a blog post topic. In fact, I've read others say they really dislike rankings or top 10s, and to that I say: "well you've just hit No. 3 on my list of Opinions That Signify We Can Never Be Friends."

Come on, ranking is fun! I've been writing lists since I was probably around 12. But I don't need to give you any history, if you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you've come across a ranking or two or three. And I don't apologize for it, some of them are among my most popular posts.

I'm always in search of a way to rank baseball cards that interests me. I've done the Best of the '70s and Best of the '80s card countdowns and I'm in search of something similar (but different) to do in the future.

I have nothing nearly as in depth right now, just a little, short ranking of the cards I received from Jeffrey of Cardboard Catastrophes. He sent 11 cards, every one was a need, and some are vastly different than the others -- sounds like the perfect vehicle for a ranking!


The majority of cards in the envelope were my first look at the 2021 version of Panini Prizm.

This isn't the greatest assortment of players to get me to put aside my low opinion of Prizm. It's in the top 10 of products (hey, another ranking!) that I do not understand why they're so popular. Stupid, played-out metallic look, absolutely no logos, uninspired design. As usual, it's a vehicle to make the parallels stand out just because they added the color that the base cards are sorely lacking.

Ranking: 5th



Another first look at a yearly set, 2021 Bowman Platinum (man, my 2021 want lists really need updating).

Platinum is also not for me. It's obsessed with foil board and rookies. Two marks against it. But, as I've said before, I don't mind the Platinum design, it's usually kind of classy and a little bit appealing. Still, it's not like I'm going to go into mourning if it disappears next year.

Ranking: 4th.



This is my first look at the candy-lid inserts from 2021 Heritage. I'm always pleased to get one of these knick-knacks when Kershaw is involved, which he has been for the last several years of Heritage, appearing on discs and stand-ups and all kinds of playthings.

These aren't really cards but I like them and I especially like the nostalgic look of the backs:


Very 1950s/early 1960s. That font gives me the same warm fuzzies that Christmas cookie smells do. 

Ranking: 3rd.



Jeff is one of the few bloggers who shares my interest in the Fleer World Series sets drawn by Robert Laughlin. My mission is to complete the 1970 and 1971 sets and it shouldn't be too difficult if I can get myself to focus.

These are two from the 1970 set and I still love how Laughlin picked something you wouldn't ordinarily think of regarding the moment, for example, no drawing of Ruth pointing to the stands.

Ranking: 2nd.



An obvious No. 1.
 
I own this card already, with a monster east-west crease through the middle. So this is a welcome upgrade. 

Ranking: 1st.

So there, another successful ranking complete.

Honestly, I don't know why I love ranking things so much. I'm sure someone would say it's an attempt to control things, compartmentalizing and such. But I consider it harmless fun and I sure do love reading and hearing about other people's rankings.

Lists! Lists! Lists!

It's good stuff.

Until the next ranking ...

Comments

GTT said…
I like lists. They're just a good way of organizing things.

I'm surprised you needed them all. Usually you say something like "I needed 4 out of the 68 cards, but that's great."
I am in favor of rankings. Don't need to agree with them, in fact that's half the fun. Bring em on!
I like reading rankings, not so much posting them myself. As for the controlling thing.... I prefer to be in control of my stuff, so if someone out there doesn't like others controlling their stuff. KMA :) I think it is OKAY all the WAY
Fuji said…
Ranking/List posts are by far my favorite posts. I've enjoyed lists my entire life... which is why I grew up reading the AL Red Books, NL Green Books, and publications like Baseball Digest and The Sporting News.
carlsonjok said…
#1 reason I hate buying modern products: I rarely get anything I want to keep.

#1 reason I like buying modern products: There is always something there to help the content keep coming at Night Owl Cards.
Grant said…
With all due respect to Mr. Furillo, that Ruiz parallel is the best looking card in this group.
Bo said…
I'd rank the prisms higher than everything but the Furillo. They look like they'd be really nice-looking in person. I like lists a lot more than rankings.
Nick said…
Lists rule! They especially come in handy when I've run out of things to talk about on the blog (which seems to happen often). Furillo is my #1 as well here, but those Laughlins are a close second. I've never set out to build the set, but I have to have a good chunk of the Laughlins by now.
Nothing wrong with lists...I make them all the time.
Jon said…
That first paragraph hit a little too close to home :(

I'm now wondering too if I'd also qualify for #'s 1 and 2 on your "Why we can't be friends" list?
Matt said…
When it comes to entertaining lists, yours rank right up there with Wayne's World and David Letterman!