Skip to main content

The well-rounded collector

 
I fully subscribe to the idea that a collector is a "true" collector no matter what they collect. They can collect only Jasson Dominguez cards, they can be working on the final high numbers to finish their 1952 set, they both fall under the same heading for me.

But if I'm trading with you, it's another matter. I will have much more success finding cards to send if you have a variety of card interests than if you collect only "Maddux, Griffey, Gwynn." Collecting just three players may keep peace at home but it's not helping me. No, I need a well-rounded collector for a successful trade.
 
What's a "well-rounded collector"? Someone who likes a lot of card stuff. I suppose that could mean all hoarders are "well-rounded collectors," but you can be a hoarder and collect only Frank Thomas cards, too.

No, for me, a well-rounded collector is someone with a lot of interests.

I recently received cards from someone who I think of as a well-rounded collector, Jay, from Card Hemorrhage, who may be able to physically demonstrate  his well-roundedness if he's hemorrhaging cards (holy heck, that sentence needed spell-check).

Jay features both individual-player and set needs on his want lists. He also collects a team (the Giants, eww). That's The Trifecta right there! And I have had no problem finding cards to send him in return. Just need to visit that post office.

He was offering up team lots in exchange for a single want-list need (I found a few more than one). I took the Dodgers even though I have many, many Dodgers and the chances of dupes are almost 100 percent.

But, here's the thing, I happen to think I'm somewhat of a well-rounded collector, too. No, I don't really have player collections, so that's not a box I can check. But I collect sets along with Dodgers, and there are also plenty of sets I have an interest in -- I call them "someday sets," because I may collect them "someday."

So even if I own the Dodgers, some can always be distributed to other areas!

Out of the 65 Dodgers Jay sent, I needed just three for the team collection. Still, that's a success. If there's 1 card I need, I'm happy.
 

Kyle Russell never appeared in the majors, let alone in a Dodgers uniform. I make an exception for cards like this. It's a major release and Russell was a big deal in college, so, sure, Dodger card.
 
 

Kym Ashworth never got above Single A, but he's wearing a Dodgers uniform on this card! It also gets me within one card of completing the 1994 Bowman's Best set, only the Raul Mondesi card to go. Well worth jumping at that team lot!
 


The best score from the stack, was a needed gold medallion parallel from 2002 Fleer Ultra. Yay!!!
 
But that wasn't all. Because of a variety of interests, some other cards will head to some other binders!
 

Who doesn't love the 1994 Upper Deck All-Time Heroes set? Those floating heads. That dash of color against the black-and-white images. Joe Black joins the others that I have from this set. Yup, someday I may try to complete it.
 
 

Another 1990s retro set. I love all of the Swell sets and store whatever extras I can find. I have the fewest from 1991 Swell so each of these are usable and great ... um ... swell images.
 
 

I have binders dedicated to various boxed sets from the back half of the '80s. Most of it is Fleer and Topps but I will find a spot for some Score oddballs easily!



Heritage is the annual "someday set." It's the only one that I consider collecting year-after-year, now that Heritage is into 1970s sets. Of course, I rarely go through with the attempt, but I'm always pleased to be able to add a card to that someday set-build.



The nostalgic feelings for my early blog days is strong. How strong? I actually have some warm fuzzies for these two Upper Deck sets and I secretly tell myself I will not trade cards from these two sets in case I get the urge to finish them.

So, does all that seem like hoarding or being a well-rounded collector?

I prefer being known as well-rounded. It has a much more positive vibe.

And when the heavy duty tractors show up to raze the house and extract me from my packed-to-the-ceiling-with-cards home, I will say it was all in an attempt to be well-rounded.

Comments

I HAVE THAT PROBLEM.... LITERALLY AND PHYSICALLY :)
cynicalbuddha said…
The pandemic finally got me to sit down and start working on getting ride of some of my piles.
Nick said…
I love trading with well-rounded collectors (and you're definitely one of them!) because I feel bad sending like three cards to someone who only collects two different things. I love hitting want lists, team collections, etc. but being able to throw in a few "just because" cards is one of my big trading thrills. (Which reminds me, I'm overdue on sending you some cards!)
bbcardz said…
I'm actually glad that I'm not a well-rounded collector. Between incomplete sets of 1969-2021 Topps flagship baseball, 1969-1978 Topps football, 1981-1992 & 2004 Donruss, 1981-2006 Fleer, 2018-2021 Heritage baseball and some oddball sets, I have no time or space for a player/team/premium collection.
Nick Vossbrink said…
I used to be more well-rounded but my searchlists have all gotten sort of crossed out except for the expensive "never gonna show up in trades" cards or rare "good luck ever getting a sniff of this one" cards. I need to go through and put more mishmash up like the 1990s and 2000s Upper Deck team sets that I'm passively collecting but haven't added to the search list and just go ahead and do the research on what Shawn Green cards I want to add to my Stanford collection.
Matt said…
I used to be much more rounded for my collecting, but have come to realize I need to cut back some so I have.
GCA said…
I hate it when someone asks to trade me a short stack of base cards for a set on my wantlist, but only wants high-end Derek Jeter mojo hits in return. How the heck do you have those base cards in the first place, and do you really expect me to have extra Jeter autos laying around to trade for 18 base cards from 2004?

Between baseball, football, and hockey sets, (though just baseball in the last few years - and no more Topps flagship), a football team collection (that probably is winding down too), a casual hockey team collection, dead football league sets, music cards, space and astronaut cards, 60+ player collections, and some other oddball things, I think I have it all covered. And I have so much extra stuff that I don't mind sending 50 cards from your team needs for a dozen list hits from mine. And I will pull parallels of your unusual player collections while I'm shopping for myself at a show.
Anonymous said…
Thought this was going to be about cards in poor condition. I don't dig it when people "generously" throw in extra cards.
Fuji said…
I know I've been called a "hoarder", but I usually hear "well-rounded collector" when I describe myself ;D

P.S. That Betts Heritage WS card is awesome!
bryan was here said…
I've always considered myself to be a "well-rounded collector". Lately I've been dabbling in '70s English Premier League soccer (football) cards, made by Topps no less, using the same designs from their baseball and football sets from the '70s, as well as Australian Rules Football, rugby and cricket cards. The Aussie Rules cards were made by Scanlens, Topps' subsidiary in Australia and they also cribbed past Topps designs for their cards. My favourites are the '80-81 AFL set which used the same design as '79-80 Topps hockey, including the blue borders.
Jon said…
I collect a lot of different things. The only problem is that most of those things are not the sort of things that most people just have laying around.
Jay said…
Just catching up to this post today - I'm really glad that not only am I well-rounded collector, but I also sent you 3 Dodger cards you didn't have...! I was hoping for one at best.