Skip to main content

A look at my binder "sorting"


A commenter on yesterday's post was interested in seeing how I sort my 29 Dodgers binders.

This is an odd time for me to do this since TCDB is making me question my sorting abilities. I mean look at this display here. This is a picture of my Dodgers binders from the 1920s/30s to around 2012. Obviously, I'm not finicky about how I display things.

That one binder with the tape all over it is barely intact (I desperately need about 5 new binders) and unlike folks I have seen on this very blogosphere with every binder the same color and size with perfectly printed dates on each spine, there is none of that there. Just a mish-mash with binders facing this way and that (I get paranoid about cards warping) and no effort at all to get any of them to look alike (who has the time?)

But it's not like I'm giving tours of the place, so if it doesn't bother me, it's perfectly fine.

The cards inside is what is important and those are sorted a little bit better than the outside ... sort of.
 


Here is a basic binder page (I agree, absolutely nothing about 1959 Topps is "basic"). This shows that I sort each set alphabetically.
 


Here is a look at the hierarchy that dominates my binders. I'm trying to get away from it, but because Topps was the one-and-only card set in the land for many years and during my card collecting debut, Topps naturally is filed first each year. (I store pre-1977 dupes in the binders, too).

This is how that hierarchy goes:

1. Year
2. Topps set
3. Alphabetize everyone in that Topps set
4. Subset cards go at the end
5. Them other jokers who produced cards may be filed now

So for 1962, the Post cards come next. There is really no rhyme or reason for my filing of food-issue cards and oddballs as you'll see. The '62 Bell Brand cards follow these Post cards and that's not in alphabetical order. My plan is to correct that some day. But I don't think I'll ever be able to put Topps in the back, behind Bowman and Donruss.
 


Moving into the '90s when there were multiple card sets.

I still have Topps presented first each of these years. Then it's a weird combination of "priority sets" and alphabetical order. So, in 1993, after Topps, it goes: Bowman, Fleer, Donruss, Score, Upper Deck, Pacific, Pinnacle, a bunch of other things.
 
This makes absolutely no sense, except to me. I have always placed Fleer before Donruss because back in the early '80s when Fleer and Donruss first made sets in 1981, I knew what Fleer was. I had heard of them before. I didn't know who the bleep Donruss was, therefore, they go after.
 
I have tried to rectify this while doing one of my twice-a-year sorts, moving Donruss before Fleer. But I find that during this often mindless exercise, my brain goes on autopilot automatically and puts Fleer before Donruss. So it might be hopeless, but I'm going to try again.
 

 There is the end of the 1993 UD base set and then the inserts kick in near the end. I try to sort the inserts in alphabetical order but I don't focus on it so I'm sure everything's out of whack.


Here is where double-bagging comes in handy -- you can see the progression all in one shot (I have yet to be convinced that this isn't the way to go. Without double-bagging, I go from 29 to 58 binders and nobody is going to agree to that).

After the main set comes the "spin-offs," such as the '93 Upper Deck Heroes BAT tri-folders thingies. I intersperse different page sizes without a thought. Better to have them presented in the year in which they were made.
 


1993 Upper Deck continues with the Fun Pack set and SP. I know SP is alphabetized separately on lots of baseball card sites and in various checklist books. But like Topps and Stadium Club, I consider SP just another Upper Deck set and it gets presented alphabetically with the rest of the UD sets.

You can see at the end of the page on the right where 1993 Pacific starts, and, yes I know "P" comes before "U". Hierarchy, you know. I'm working on it.
 


When it comes to parallels, I flip-flop on those, too.

In a lot of cases, I will sort the parallels after the base set, such as this 1994 Topps example. All the golds are shown after the base set is out of the way. It's like this for many, many of the Topps sets that follow and other card companies, too. It just looks better to me than seeing the same card repeat over and over within the base set.


However, sometimes I do place the parallel next to the base card. I probably do it without even thinking about it.

I think I do it when I don't have a lot of parallel examples in a set and also when the parallel is not readily noticeable by me.



Here is why presenting all of the inserts together after the base set pays off. That is fantastic. (Also, sorry to those of you bothered by "Flair" coming after "Fleer". It makes sense to me).
 
 

Going back to 1993, here is an example of where the oddballs go and that there isn't a lot of rhyme or reason. The Classic cards are behind the LA Police cards because Classic is minor leaguers and college kids.
 
 

 And here is a modern example of my sorting. The Topps online cards always go last in the Topps sorting. It's basically my personal F-U to Topps for issuing a bunch of cards that spelled the end to my dream of gathering every Dodgers card.
 
Then you see Bowman kick off "the rest," so, yeah, Topps, stop smirking, you know I still love ya.
 
 

Finally, a palette-cleanser with cards from a time when sorting was a breeze and not a brain-teaser.
 
Oh, and all that 1993 Upper Deck was chosen for a reason.
 
I WILL be doing another set blog.
 
And it will be 1993 Upper Deck.
 
It's not happening soon though. If it gets started in 2022, that will be a minor miracle.

Comments

simpson said…
I started collecting as a kid in 87 and it always went topps first, then donruss, fleer, ud, score, leaf, ultra, pinnacle. no idea why - like you, it's just what the brain said to do. and cheers for the new 93 ud blog!
Nachos Grande said…
It's taken a year or so of me being on TCDB before I went back through and "recatagorized" Topps Stadium Club as simply "Stadium Club" (Flair, Triple Play, and a host of other sets also fell into that category). I agree, if it makes sense in your head, go for it...at least until you try to sort a collection using someone else's ordering (i.e. TCDB in my case).
Nick said…
I've been planning on doing a binder-themed post on my blog too - it's been way too long since I talked about it. Your binders are stacked/filed organized better than mine, if it's any consolation. I have binders on the floor, on top of bookcases, generally all over the place & it makes sense to no one else but myself.

(Can't wait for the 1993 UD set blog, whenever it happens!)
Thanks for taking the time to write this one. It may be my favorite one ever. I enjoy seeing what resides in others' binders! I know of collectors who are afraid of binders, and I'll never understand why?!

Somehow, I never quite settle in on a singular system and end up jumping around, never quite achieving the consistency that would probably help me :) . I'll read this one again and again.
Also meant to say I love stuff like this because it takes me back to how I collected and "organized" as a kid. I'm 48 and find myself beginning to prefer the simpler, the cheaper, the way I once did all things collecting. I think that's the point. I've spent quite a bit of money on cards as an adult, and I can't say I love any of the more expensive cards anymore than I did the cards in the Hygrade binders of my youth. If anything, the money just gets in the way. Anyway, I digress...

Thank you for a great blog.
That 1962 (supposedly) Post #105 looks more like a Jello card.
steelehere said…
Looking forward to the 1993 Upper Deck blog. Not going to be difficult to guess your least favorite card to review in the set (which i’m assuming is the most expensive card in the set).
night owl said…
@Johnny ~

Yup, it's a Jello card. I just didn't mention it because it was mostly Post on the page.
Anonymous said…
Yup, it's Topps and then everything else.
'57 was the best looking page.
Fuji said…
1993 Upper Deck definitely deserves to have its own blog. Hopefully by the time you get around to writing it, I'll be around to read it on a regular basis.

As for the binders, it's always fun seeing how other collectors organize their cards. I'm one of those guys who needs matching binders (same brand and color with matching printed titles, but I do use different sizes depending on what's being housed). Having OCD tendencies can truly feel like a curse sometimes.
Grant said…
I, like you, am old enough to remember when a set like Stadium Club is actually listed as Topps Stadium Club, Ultra is actually Fleer Ultra, SP Championship is really Upper Deck SP Championship, etc. Thank you for confirming that I'm not alone in that regard.
Nick Vossbrink said…
This is very similar to my binders. Starting with 1956 Topps is always first. Starting with 1981 it's Topps, Donruss, Fleer (how my brain has always thought of them), then Score, Upper Deck, Pacific, Oddballs like Mothers Cookies, then MiLB cards (the MiLB thing means that Bowman jumps around depending on what year we're talking).

Similar thing goes with my Stanford Binder actually. While organized by player, their cards are sorted by yar then by manufacturer in the same order except that same-year traded/update cards sart a new run so hat the team affiliation stays in chronological order.
GCA said…
My player collection binders are done by year and then pretty much alphabeitcal by company. For the majority of guys, it starts with a bunch of Topps and OPC with Kelloggs and Hostess usually after, then by '81 I go Donruss/Leaf, Fleer, SportFlics, Topps and by the mid 90's it's still mostly alphabetical but if moving things like Metal Universe, Finest, Zenith, Studio or Collector's Choice to or from their parent company saves me from shifting four full pages one spot forward, I'll do it.
I only really have a few guys in the 90's plus a couple football guys and Sergei Fedorov who would have Bowman lead off, so Topps flagship is still dominant.
Kevin said…
I collect Tigers similarly to how you collect Dodgers...order by year goes Topps, Topps made sets in alphabetical order (Bowman, Finest, Heritage , Stadium Club, etc), Donruss and all it’s off shoots, Fleer and it’s offshoots, Pacific, Score, then Upper Deck...after that it is all the oddball classic, sspc type sets, then product inserts (Kellogg’s), local sets (tigers only), minor league cards, then finally sets devoted to retired players (conlan cards, topps reprints)...parallels, inserts, and Relics/autographs get filed after their base set
Bo said…
I collect so many cards I use boxes, instead of binders. Also probably heretical but I sort by manufacturer, not by year. Would seem to me quite repetitive to have all the cards from one year in the same place. What do you do when you find you have to add a new card in the middle and didn't have space for it? You have to shift everything over, that must take a long time.
night owl said…
Yes, it does take a long time to update the binders, that's why I limit it to twice a year. I do it while I'm watching sporting events usually and I find it quite relaxing, almost therapeutic.

I sort by year because cards, for me, are a representation of what's happened at a particular time for that team. Sorting by year helps me recall what was happening at the time and gives you a good idea of how each manufacturer reflected that same year. That doesn't happen, or isn't illustrated as well, if you sort by another means.
Jeff Laws said…
I'm definitely with you on the SP being Upper Deck, Flair being Fleer, ect. I absolutely hate that TCDB lists them without the manufacturer. It annoys me. On my spreadsheets, they are listed the way they should be.

I would love to binder everything but since I would be doing it now instead of back when I started, I don't see me dropping all that money on pages so I am definitely jealous.

My team collection cards are in alphabetical order by player. I enjoy seeing how many cards I have of a player but as a kid, I would sort one way, then sort back to the other. I was constantly sorting, just to spend time with the cards and for something to do while hanging in my bedroom.