Skip to main content

"You waited that long for this?"

I can hear it now. But I ain't listening. When you're in love it doesn't matter what people say.

I received an unexpected-but-long-overdue email in my inbox a couple of days ago from that formerly efficient cardboard shop, COMC.

I had placed my order on April 22, fully expecting it to take months to arrive. Ever since the pandemic and COMC's sudden inability to fill and ship orders in a timely fashion, I have either avoided the place or, in times of impatience, shelled out for rushed shipping.

But I wanted to see how long a placed order took to arrive "organically." So I pressed "ship" and set my timer.

I admit, I kind of fell asleep on my watch because this notice surprised me:


Holy crap.

A couple of days later it arrived -- today, in fact.

So, it took four months, one week and five days to materialize. That's not good, but I've heard of collectors waiting far longer. Maybe I had an advantage because I was ordering just seven cards.

Yeah, that's really not good.

These are the cards:








Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More '75 buybacks!

A lot of catchers in this group! And, of course, the star of the show is the Barry Foote card, which I have loved ever since '75. On a down note, Bill Freehan passed away while I waited for his card. Not cool, COMC.

So, yeah, I waited almost five months for cards I actually have already. Don't care if it doesn't make sense when it makes me happy.

These cards bring me to 444 cards of the 1975 set in buyback form. That is 67 percent.

This buyback pursuit is starting to slow down now. I've mentioned already that I will be happy if I get to 75 percent and I think that's reachable but even that will take a long time.

The sudden uncertainty of the Heritage brand -- particularly being a thing in 2024 when Topps was supposed to display the 1975 design and issue random buybacks along with it -- puts a damper on the possibility of finding new '75 buybacks that I haven't spotted in other places.

But I haven't given up hope yet. This project requires patience.

Especially if COMC is involved.

Comments

Nick said…
Nice buybacks! My latest COMC order just got bumped back even further to early-October. Granted, it's a large batch of cards, but I think I requested shipment in April. Can't say I'm thrilled with that turnaround time.
Adam Ryan said…
I just got my 16-card COMC order yesterday I placed back in April. Working on a post about it soon but suffice to say, I will not be ordering from them again for a very long time until their shipping improves.
Agree on that Foote card. It's a beaut.
Chris said…
I can relate to this entire post. The first paragraph, definitely. And your COMC wait dovetailed almost perfectly with mine: I requested my cards five days after you did and received them five days earlier. No idea why.

Also, my pursuit of sets that may never be completed made me think of your buyback chase (and Shane's) Nice to see you pass 2/3 completion, these '75s were surely worth the wait.
Yeah, I supposedly still have 4 weeks (or more) for my last shipment request. I rarely check the site these days, but I do have quite a bit sitting in inventory.
Nachos Grande said…
My advice is to check eBay for the same COMC cards - they seem to be cross-listing a bunch of stuff at the same price. COMC on eBay still ships slower than any "regular" seller could get away with but your cards will come in a matter of weeks rather than months. I, too, did the regular shipping over on COMC's website back in January(I think) and the cards didn't arrive until this summer. On the bright side, I had forgotten what I had ordered so the box was at least a surprise on multiple levels when it did finally show up.
Fuji said…
I hope COMC will eventually catch up on all of their shipping orders. I have a few bucks sitting in my account to buy stray singles I want here and there, but it's a bummer thinking that I'd have to wait months if I want to have the cards shipped to me.
Congrats on having your order filled! That's great, and this gets you seven cards closer. Rock On! I forgot Dempsey was on the Yankees, once upon a time.
gregory said…
I've got to keep an eye out for '75 buybacks for you.
COMC? Bah! I buy vintage cards on eBay or Amazon, and they arrive in a week or less, using standard shipping.
Anonymous said…
There is a guy who has a YouTube channel called Froggy Flips.
He just purchased a big binder full of '75 Topps Baseball.
He is going to want to flip them - anyways, just letting you know.
night owl said…
@JD ~

I haven't found anything on Amazon that wasn't overpriced. Also, the reason I bought these on COMC is because it was the only place I could find THESE CARDS. I wasn't born yesterday.

@Anonymous ~

I've completed the 1975 Topps set. Unless they're buybacks, I don't need them.